Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
I like the secure hold but it takes forever to get out of them. i remember people mentioning they had modified their lacing system, how did you do so?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
if you can spare the interior ankle harness that will speed things up. me i like the harness though.

One of the most popular methods i have heard is to make the upper and lower lacing system one continuous lace system. i have seen or heard of this done by:
1. utilizing just a few of the lower lace loops and then all of the upper lace loops with one lace
2. using a longer lace

The laces for these boots are very long and just simply cutting them to a more manageable length can help alone, which is what i did originally (without making them so short that you loose openness of the boots especially for screwing them on and off the board)

I actually made this video that addresses some of these things (using the D2 for example)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEqVdMyf-K8

This http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/696810.html
is my latest more extreme modification, but a temporary one at that, which does NOT alter the boot in any way other than the removal of the laces. it is a ("free-floating") two strap system similar to the LF vantage, but different too. though i used plastic buckles, a Velcro strap version could be easily made. If you do follow this more "extreme" route and like it, taking the extra step to attach the straps more securely will make them more manageable so they are not so floppy like mine.

here is another, more "extreme" method that might fit your likes that uses a snowboard binding idea. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/699495.html you could continue to use the slingshot boot in the snowboard binding instead of using snowboard boots

other idea(s):
you could keep the liners on your feet to eliminate the step of lacing up the liner with the harness. and if you are sharing the boots with another you could toss the liners to the next person in the boat to start putting them on?

maybe you'll come up with another creative idea yourself.

the slingshot boots actually allow for lots of customization IMO
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
Ohhh,... oops. i just re-read your name and thought it sounded familiar and then realized that your the same guy that did the snowboard boot mount thing i referenced. hahaha.

ohh well. i wont bother to remove it from my original post. maybe someone else reading will find it usefull

good luck with your mod
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
ha it's ok man, i ended up using a longer lace to complete a continuous lacing system
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-22-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Has anyone found the bottom portion of the D2s difficult to tighten? It tightens decently well on the portion over the arch of your foot, but down by your toes, i have to work the laces up like on a shoe if I really wanna get them tight down there, any suggestions for ways to tighten or a modification that might help?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-23-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I personally don't think much tightening really happens down there, but maybe i just prefer(ed) a little less tighter fit... i even took off the buckles for my modification design down there to simplify the whole thing and because i did not think they were necessary.

Do you feel a difference over the toes when you tighten them up vs not? (honestly curios and not trying to be smart)

1. maybe a dividing the bottom into two lace might help, but at the same time this would make the laces more cumbersome i would think so it might not be worth it.

2. try the d3 boots (i have not yet), the laces and loops are a bit different

quote:

Speed Pull Lacing System - Fast and effortless boot tightening.

3. Might wait to see what next year brings (p.s. i have no insider info. on next years stuff so don't guess i am hinting at anything)

-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

on another note. those that are considering the strap mod like i did. now that i have had a bit more water time to test them i would say that in their present state the buckle idea will slip a bit over time (say 2-3 sets depending on the seriousness of crashes) even with the no slip pieces. it takes a while to adjust strap length with the no-slip pieces, but without those pieces the straps easily loosen up in one set. My mods are not really any faster to put ON but they are indeed much faster to take OFF (this is true for first time users of the boots too). if the upper strap was attached to the boot it would not be as cumbersome. I also think replaceable velcro straps would be better overall or something a bit different entirely for closure. maybe i just got the wrong style of plastic buckles...still a great first attempt though