Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (rkh)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
I'm getting ready to do some maintenance and was wondering if I needed marine parts from the boat dealer or if auto parts work. Also, does anyone have a parts list of which things you can use auto parts (and part #'s) and which you can't for a 1996 SuperSport?

Spark plug wires, spark plugs, cap, rotor, etc.

Thanks
Robert
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-25-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
really the only things that are marine specific are the starter and alternator.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-25-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
As well as fuel pump, carb or injection, ignition, circ pump to name a few more.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2008, 3:58 AM Reply   
Marine spark plugs are stainless steel, auto are not and they can rust and be very difficult to remove from the block. You can buy marine plugs at many auto parts stores.

Auto cap, rotor, plug wires are fine. Problem is finding the part numbers.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
Hmmmmm... I've changed a lot of spark plugs on a lot of boat motors, and never seen a set made of stainless.

You might have a hard time getting an automotive plug wire kit to work. The coil wire usually needs some kind of oddball plug, and the lengths never seem to work with the different exhaust manifolds. I've tried to get automotive plug wire kits to work a few times, never succeeded.

For safety reasons, definitely stick with marine parts for the starter, alternator, distributor cap, fuel pump, and carb/EFI.

A good starter/alternator shop can also modify automotive starter/alts for marine use (explosion proof) - it's only a difference of couple screens over openings to where the spark happens.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I I've owned 3 v-drive boats with 3 different marine engines, Indmar, Mercruiser, and PCM, all had stainless plugs. I changed plugs in a friends Supra last month and it had stainless plugs.

I have worked on cars since I was 12 years old in my dad's auto shop and never ran into this until 2002 on my first inboard boat.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Use anti-seize on the plugs and you won't have any issues stainless or not.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
That is weird. Has anyone else noticed stainless plugs?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-26-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
robert just call skidim they are cheap and so fast. I think people here will back that up.
Old     (number55)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2008, 12:44 AM Reply   
marine grade parts i believe have the part # of J1171. I may be off a digit or two but I know it's close.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I have used the autolite copper cor plug from day one in my engine and used them for 6 years and never had any problems. In your engine and the gt40 setup, I think it is a 3925 or possibly 3924 (1 heat range colder) Get automotive plugs and dont give it a second thought. I have also never antisiezed my plugs because it is a steel thread going into a steel head. You can use it and it wont hurt but I never have and I havent had a problem yet.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-28-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Why does a ski boat need stainless spark plugs?

The engine on my boat stays dry at all times. The engine on my car gets wet when I drive in the rain.

If I have ever had stainless sparkplugs I sure didn't know it.

As for marine components: Anything in the fuel system and anything electrical that is located in the engine compartment.

Rod
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
I've used Napa auto parts to tune up my boat engines for 15+ years & never had any issues. Ignition parts, oil, filters, fuel filters, water separators, hoses, belts, etc.

Alternators & starters are specific to a boat, or an enclosed engine compartment.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-28-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
I went back and looked up the part number for the stainless plugs. AC MR43LTS the s is for stainless. I don't know that they have to be but GM (AC Delco) makes them and Indmar, Mercruiser and PCM have all used them the past few years.

If you look at the Skidim website you can see the stainless look on the AC and NGK plugs for the late model Vortex engines.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1023

(Message edited by mobv on July 28, 2008)
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
I still put anti-seize on just about every threaded assembly I touch...cheap insurance! It certainly makes a difference on trailer lug nuts.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-29-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
plug wires can be fun b/c they need to be longer for exhaust manifold clearance.

fuel lines are supposed to be rigid steel on a boat. But, I just put a flexible braided steel line on and it is working just fine.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-29-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
In Canada auto parts are illegal on boats.

Carb has to be marine simply becasue of the vent tubes turn into j-tubes on marine application.

Most parts are graded for a certain amount of 'seaworthiness', but they are similar to auto parts.