Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
I run a 2007 Supra 22SSV and have noticed that the speedo paddle being located on the left side of the boat may be affecting my toeside approach. As I cut out to the left, the boat must overspeed w/ the speedo on that side and by the time I've mellowed out for my TS tricks coming back to the wake, the boat has now compensated for being over the set speed and the wake is soft by the time I get there.

I'm riding at 22.8mph, 1500lbs, and 75' which is longer than last year and I never noticed it then. I'm guessing it has something to do with the add'l tug I can put on the boat now at 75', my settings, and speedo location.

Is this the paddle filter adjustment, KDW, or both? Any Supra owners out there that can offer some advice on this?

Thanks for the help!
Seth
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
i've never heard of anythign like this...mind you, we usually make sure that our pick-ups are well into the water...just put more weight in it and go about 2 miles faster!
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
More weight and a faster speed may only further emphasize the issue. I gotta believe it can be corrected with the PerfectPass settings.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Do you get a wacky reading from your speedo in right turns? My paddlewheel was in the wrong place. It was fixed once but my PP is still not very good at holding speed. My paddlewheel is still in the wrong place, but I got lazy and let it slide past the one year warranty. I had (Diggs) send me his PP settings on his boat. He claims less than a few tenths off on speed. You run less weight than we do, but they should be pretty close. Mine hold within about one MPH. And yes, my boat slows considerably if I take a big cut in. I have some outlaw riders that ride behind my boat that can really slow my boat down cutting in toeside.

I run close to 2200lbs + gear/people/ect. PP set at 24.2 ( gps’d) these wakes are finicky if your going to slow. I can never get it to clean up going slow. I’m still very surprised at how much a rider can pull this boat side to side (roll)

Diggs numbers:

180 kdw 85 nn

Don’t go by the PP book for the 3rd setting ( the one that tells it how far speed overshoots) I can send you what mine is at, but the manual has it a lot lower than what mine came stock. Mine goes up to speed perfectly.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
riding at 80 feet
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
KDW(Adjustable Pull Characteristics) - how fast the system adjusts to you pulling the boat

NN(Adjustable Paddle Filter Factor) - how many times the system checks the paddle wheel speed before it adjusts

The best thing to do is adjust it in small incriments until it is right. I am helping my brother sink his Launch right now and we had the same problem. I found adjusting the KDW did the most. We adjust, turn it back on and let someone ride fully loaded and cutting and tested it til it was right.

Hope that is some help.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-22-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
Mine seems to get progressively worse the longer I have it. Hunts for the speed when I have it really loaded and it struggles to get up to speed when I have it set up for surfing. I have had the unit replaced 3 times and each time it works about 3-6 months and then starts "hunting" for the speed around that time. Anyone have the number to PP handy? my owners manual is in tucked away somewhere. I run an '06 21V with 2600lbs plus people at 70', 23 mph.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Will, where do you have your weight? I think some of these PP issues have to do with where the weight is in the boat. My buddy's 06 21v ( similar weight) holds speed awesome. My boat seems to hold speed a tad better if I haev more weight int eh back...say close to 75/25
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
need to check mine out to see where it is currently set. I actually just noticed last weekend that it seems to be getting worse especially when loaded down and pre turning/turning to set up for a double up. It surges like no other and I really have to back down on the throttle. I assume that diggs numbers are based on a weighted 22ssv?

Diggs numbers:

180 kdw 85 nn
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Adam- When I make right turns, the speedo gives me really high numbers and the engine pulls back thinking that it's pulling too fast. I guess I'm ok with that for now but it will hose me when I starting driving double ups. Speed seems to hold as I turn to the left.

As for my weight, it's stock w/ 450x2 in the back and 650 in the bow plus 1-2 riders.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Patrick, yes, I believe he runs the 1100lb big bag, and 650's in the lockers. Mine surges bad thru double ups.

One of my theroy's is hull design changes in the new 22 did not take into account the PP wheel and thus have some turbulance issues that are affecting it. I think there is little room for error in the placement of that paddlewheel on this boat.

coming out of a double up sunday my boat rocketed up to almost 30, lol.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
180 KDW is factory set. NN factory is 120, so if Diggs numbers are correct, that would say that his boat wasn't surging, as the manual states to raise the number if it's surging. The higher the value the more filtering.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Seth, unfortunately if your boat's speedo is going crazy in right turns ( sounds like it is) your dealer needs to move your paddlewheel. Give him at least one shot at it. There is a recall. Adjusting settings will not compensate for this.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
I've noticed that I can easily overspeed to 3+ mph out of some turns. I've gotten to the point where I pull back on the throttle and make an even tighter turn and then manually bring it back to PP engagment.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
I guess it doesn't solve my issue for TS tricks because that's straight line driving. Adjustments should help, just not sure where to start.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Here's diggs Paddlewheel placemetn, you cna see the old "plug " in the pic. The skegs cause turbulance over the wheel in turns.

Upload
Upload
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Adam- Were you contacted on the recall? Reason being, I'm approaching the 1 year mark on my boat purchase.

Also, have you had the circuit breaker for your wakeplate popping on a regular basis?
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
Shane- What model Supra are you riding behind?
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
This thread has me curious about how my 2007 22 handles tight turns... When weighted, my boat SEEMS to cavitate badly in tight turns. Now I'm curious if I'm confusing the cavitation-feeling with PerfectPass issues. Makes me want to get the boat out with PP turned off to see if I still have the issue... but I won't be able to until this weekend.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Cal- You'll still have the cavitation, it just might fell different and not surge as much w/ PP turned off. (already tried it)
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
Cal- mine cavitates also on rt turns- not nearly as bad as my old 24ssv. The big issue is the surging on the turns and like Adam said it can be a pain when trying to pull a solid double up. I also had a bad surge to about 28mph on a double up over the weekend. The rider ended up missing the double up and skipped across the wake to land on the other side to face plant. It was funning from the boat, but to say the least he wasn't the happiest rider.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
Gotcha. No problems for me then. :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-23-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
Seth I have never been contacted about any of the issues I've had with my boat. I just started asking around. I also had my seat base replaced. There are three differnt versions out there. I swithced to the newest one.

Cal the turning issue is not related to PP. I heard rumors this was fixed in 08.

Seth, yes mine used to pop quite a bit, then just stopped working. There is also a recall (is a somewhat common problem) on the wakeplate relay...there was a bad batch that went out.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-23-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
Cal, sent u a PM regarding the cavitation.