Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    dahui            08-29-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
I was out with my brother and a few friends this morning. My brother came up short on a large raley and caught his front edge. I sped back around because I thought he might be unconscious. He was conscious but had the wind knocked out of him. He got back in the boat saying his head hurt. We were hanging out while the next rider was getting set up. I asked him what day it was as a joke. He said he had no idea. I thought he was kidding and asked him what year it was and he looked at me funny and said I dont know. He didnt know where he was and how he got there. We were laughing at first because it was very weird. We asked him all kinds of basic questions to which 99% of the answers were I dont know. He at least knew who I was but couldnt tell me his birthday SSN and didnt even know who his girlfriend was. On the way home he started vomiting. I ended up taking him to the hospital. He kept trying to go to sleep so I kept him awake. He got a CT scan and all is good. After about 10 hours he still cant tell you what he has done for the past two weeks and has no idea where he works. I heard it will come back in a day or two. It was my first experience with a concussion. The one lesson I think I learned is to ALWAYS WEAR A VEST. After he smacked his head and had the wind knocked out of him, The CGA vest gave him the support to get his head out of water while he caught his breath. I cant imagine if he did not have a vest. I am sure concussions are pretty regular in this sport but it still opened my eyes to how hard of a fall you can take. Go Big, Have fun and be careful out there.