Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-05-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Well for those of you that are wondering i had my latest Dr. visit yesterday and i got some good news and some bad news. The good news was that i didn't have to wear a Range of Motion brace anymore since my MCL wasn't affected nearly as much as i thought The bad news is that because of the lack of use in my right leg the muscles are already starting to shrink. The other bad news i already knew which is the torn ACL but he also
noticed that some of the meniscus was torn. I now have to go to phsical therapy for a month to regain the range of motion and strengthen the knee and then we will talk about surgery. I think we are both agreeing that the best solution is going to be a cadaverious ACL.The recovery time is 3 months longer than the standard Patella surgery but in his opinion it is stronger.
I wanted to thank everyone for there well wishes and support.

By the way Sean how are you getting in for surgery on the 25th?
Old    bobbymucic            05-05-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
I thought that the cadaver allograft is a faster recovery than the patella autograft?

One of the best things I've found for all the recovery was a neoprene ice-pack holder, with a velcro locking strap. It doesn't slip off when you move around on the couch or in bed, and you can wear while sitting at your desk at work. I got it at sport chalet.

Have a speedy recovery!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-05-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
I asked him for it, I'm also rehabbing my knee by myself. I'm trying to strengthen it and increase flexibility.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-05-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
what are you doing to rehab the knee and what type of surgery are you doing...cadaver or ?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Randy. Three months of rehab then at least 6 after surgery? Ouch.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-05-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
No Blabel it is even worse than that he told me a month of PT until we even talk about surgery then probably a month before surgery then with a patella graft it is 6 months until i can really be active, 9 months until i can start riding moto, 12 months until i can wakeboard (basically 100%) If i get the cadaver graft add another 3 months on to all of those. I really hope that is worst case scenario and you know me i'll work my butt off to be better before that. So from today worst case 15 months(100%) i hope that it isn't true
Old    buttacup            05-05-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
Be optimistic about it Randy, just watch yourself next time you go off those jumps on the track Wishing you, Sean and all the other gimps a speedy recovery.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-06-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Didn't get that far into talking about it for the type of surgery, but he said I'd be back 6 months after surgery. The guy just said I needed surgery, my leg feels pretty strong so I workout with a brace on it. I'm doing things for range of motion strength and flexibility, but I haven't used weights against it yet. A lot of walking too (golf)!
Old    lindsayl            05-06-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
Hey fellas

Everyone's different but this is how it went down for me: ACL/MCL/meniscus (can't remember which side of the meniscus but it was the one where they have to cut away the bad part rather than stitch it back together). Did not have to do any pre-surgery PT, but spent a lot of time on the bike. We opted for a hamstring tendon autograft for the following reasons: I have a history of patella problems with my other knee so they didn't want to mess with that; no risk of rejection if it's my own tissue; I'm young and healthy & have good tendons available. Started PT a week post-op. First month was 3x/week, next three months were 2x/week with modified workouts on my own. I went snowboarding about 6 months to the day post-op and lasted about 1/2 day, but felt good, just didn't want to push too hard too soon. The important thing is to listen to your body. I have not wakeboarded yet but I'm hoping to go out in the next couple of weeks.

Randy is right, the quad atrophy happens FAST and it does not come right back. My right quad is still a little smaller than my left.

Anyway, keep me posted guys. I remember how much it sucks. My mom was there to help me through it thank goodness. Let me know when you guys go in and I'll be sure to check in on you and drop off some baked goodies
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-06-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
That's the one Randy, I'm getting what she got, the hamstring thing.