Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
So I was out riding today and a check engine light came on and the boat went into protect mode shortly after the boat overheated. got to about 200 normally runs about 160. Impeller was recently replaced, checked it again, looked fine, belt tension ok, cleaned strainer and checked intake. all ok. unhooked the exit hose on the impeller housing, water was coming out, not shooting out at idle. not sure what the normal flow looks like. checked after v drive hose water was still circulating, could the prob be a bad thermostat? if so can i get a normal ford 351 thermostat at autozone or are they different for marine? my block is a gt-40. thanks for help in advance i tommorrow is supposed be nice gotta get the boat running!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
also my last impeller lost several fins which i was cleaning out of the impeller housing for a week but has been fine for about three weeks now, maybe a fin is stuck somewhere in the motor cooling?
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-23-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Check to make sure all your hoses are tight, your strainer is tight, and the gasket is in the strainer. Number one cause for your problem is a vacuum leak in the cooling hose/strainer.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-23-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
Buddy with same boat blew his impeller a few years ago and had schrapnel catch and cause overheating. He had to fish it out...
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-24-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
Would a vacuum leak in the hose happen just all of the sudden, I mean everything was working fine for several weeks and then it just overheated suddenly, and the pump was moving water out the top just not shooting it out, not sure what is normal
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-24-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
another thing to check for, check your hoses while it's running. When hoses break down and go bad they can collapse in on themselves effectively shutting or diminishing down water flow.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-25-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
Checked everywhere for possible leaks and retightened everything and put it back in the water, as soon as i turned the boat on the check engine light came on, even while the temp was still low, boat slowly overheated again same prob. any ideas? Unhooked the stat housing in hose and it was getting water.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-26-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Your T-state could be bad. Do you have an infrared thermometer? If so, you can check the engine temp with that and compare with your gauge.

Also, have you double checked to make sure you have fished out all of the impeller?

Finally, have you checked your thru-hull and intake line for debris?
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       07-26-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
What chexi said above.... also when the engine is running was there any water ANY at all dripping from the strainer? You can also look and see if you see water moving through the threads of the strainer.

I had an impeller go out about 3 weeks ago. Changed it out... last week the boat suddenly over heated and it had been the strainer. Was jarred loose enough some how to have the o ring shift enough to let air get in.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-26-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
Also, I am assuming that water is flowing out your exhaust. Have you hooked your system to a fake a lake, flush pro, or hose and bucket and tested on land where you could see water exiting the exhaust?
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-26-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Another though. You mentioned that the impeller was recently replaced. Did you overheat the very next time you took the boat out after the impeller was replaced? You (or whoever replaced the impeller) might have installed the pump in upside down. If no water is coming out the exhaust, this could be your problem.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-26-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
I already said water was makin it to the t stat housing so the problem would not be related to the strainer or pump. After I pulled the boat out of the lake it did look like very little water had traveled out the exhaust
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2011, 3:43 PM Reply   
Anyone??????? Thermostat is replaced and the boat is still overheating... A litte slower but still, and the engine light. I'm out of guesses
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-27-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
Have you tried to flush out the block and manifolds. That helped me.
Old    readyaimfire            07-27-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
Check that the cap is tight on the fitting where u would hook up a hose to flush the boat. This can become a major vacuum leak. I lost mine underway one day and it boggled my mind for an hour until I noticed it was missing.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like the next step... How do I do that?
Old    readyaimfire            07-27-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
Trace your intake hose from the bottom of the boat. At some point before the water pump there should be a fitting where u can attach a garden hose. Make sure the cap is tight. If it's sucking air at this point u would still have some water flow through the engine, but the pressure would be insufficient.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Sorry I guess I was talking to ss haha I have already established water is getting to the block
Old     (phbrown)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-28-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
Had the same problem and mine had to do with the strainer where the intake and outtake barbs fit into the strainer. On mine they had wrapped the barbs in teflon tape and it had worn out and air was sucking in. Just put some new tape on it and it worked fine. I think there is a better alternative to the tape but I forget what. I wish they would just make that strainer with barbs molded on.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-28-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
I have a fitting that threads in where the blue plug would go on the hose going from the water pump. I also have taken loose the hoses from the water pump or trans cooler and simply used the garden hose to run water through them to clear out any obstruction. Just because water is getting to the block, it doesn't mean you are getting sufficient water to cool the block. For some reason, i wasn't getting nearly as much water to the left manifold. I flushed everything out, and the problem disappeared.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Well flushed the system yesterday and ever since the boat has ran cool but the engine is still going into protect mode and kicking the check engine light on. TemP voltage and oil pressure are all ideal, went through and checked all my connections and it still is on... Suggestions?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
Oil pressure switch went bad replaced and problem went away. Its wild that and the overheating happened about 2 minutes apart and are unrelated