Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-24-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
My boat is busted! So I needed a little foam therapy to help me "deal". :-)

I liked the e.basswood stringers, but was remembering my fiberglass recurve bow as a kid, as well as, the TW1 twinzer fins from Futures that are layered 'glass.

This is 2 pound foam and I've cut the outline for the stringers.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-24-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
I have cut 8 gazillion strips of 6 oz :-) Ok, maybe only 8 bazillion, but still it's alot! I really have no idea what would be an adequate number of layers, so this is a total guess. I did feel that the rear of the stringer needed to have more layers, so I cut several of the strips in half and laid those up from the rear of the stringer build up.

I know that to the uninitiated this looks like a simple plywood table covered by a sheet of polyethelene, but in fact it is a sophisticated wet out table (trust me :-) ).

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-24-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Damn, you never stop, you're a mad man.
Old    surfdad            05-24-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
This is just a prototype, so I opted to go with polyester resin. Epoxy would have been a better choice, but between wanting to do it quick and the strange weather here (last week it was 100 degrees, this weekend it's raining on and off) :-)

Wetting out all the layers is tough - I wet out the bottom, the middle and then worked from the top. I would have preferred to work from some type of mold, wetting out each layer separately and "stuffing" it into a mold. Cheap brown laminating PE resin.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-24-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
I've heard this, Ed...normally it's Judy's voice, though. :-)

This is a sophisticated press. I know that many newb's will look at this and only see a tool box, a gallon of PE resin and some plywood...it's a carefully calibrated press with exacting weight. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-24-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
The 2 pound foam can be ridden with no stringer, I am hoping that I can develop a bit of "spring" return using this fiberglass stringer arrangment that is more responsive than the e.basswood. As I mentioned, I have absolutely no idea how many layers of glass are adequate, NOR if there should be a balanced layering or tapering.

This board needs to be named shot-in-the-dark.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
I do love these next pictures. :-) The taper in the layers going towards the nose does make the stringer less...ummm stiff, towards the nose.

The tail section has 6 extra layers and stands out in comparison. Do these remind anyone of anything? Anyting at all?

Upload
Upload
Old    lakeside5_10            05-26-2008, 5:31 AM Reply   
i dont know , i may be to young to know??
Old    surfdad            05-26-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
You must ave a Job Mark - the first picture is my employees attitude on Monday morning at 8:01am, the second picture is their attitude at 4:59pm that same day! OR

The second picture is MY attitude when I learn that we've won an all expenses paid trip to Orlando and the first picture is when I learn that my Mother-in-law (most of you probably know her, her name is Godzilla. She was a famous actress back in the 60's :-) ) will be going with us.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-26-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Jeff I need an email addy for Judy so I can send her this link:-)
Old    surfdad            05-26-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Trust me Ed, it's not a secret!