Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
I went out today with my buddy with the intent of doing a little surfing and just get the wake dialed for boarding and surfing. We set up the boat and tried a few different ways from what I have read and had 0 luck I need some advice on setting it up. Here is what I have and what i did.

-1993 sport nautique Direct drive 21'
-1 full original fat sac across the back biased toward the port side.(with back seat out of the boat)
-1 400lb side sac in front of that on the port side running front to back along the engine box.
-1 side sac filled 1/3 full between the front seats
-1 250lb buddy moving from nose to tail of the boat, side to side and adjusting speed.

We just couldnt get it set up. This was a second attempt to get it with a different weight configuration than last which was a "L" shape of the side sacks which wasnt enough. We placed some weight in the bow too and that made it flatter and even less ridable. I have surfed a decent amount so I know it isnt me, but I just need some suggestions to get it set to kill it next time around. I though 1400 would do it but we were not even close.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Thats a waterski boat, so its going to be a little harder and more attempts at dialing it in for a surf wake. The deeper the hull the better wake you will get. I think that naughty pretty flat isn't it ? You probably have enough weight or maybe too much. The more weight doesn't always mean a better wave. Just keep moving it around and invite a bunch of people you can have move at will.
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Don,
Here is my setup:
Fixed weight of about 90lbs under each rear seat
About 70 lbs in the ski locker
1 fat sac (350lbs?) on the rear seat-port side
1 fat sac (350lbs?) on the port side floor
People sitting on the rear port side corner with others sitting on the engine cover.

Speed wise, I increase speed until the wake cleans up.

You might want to try not using the sac between the front seats.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
what would be the difference between having weight in the locker and between the front seats? It was basically sitting on top of the locker.
Old     (austinday)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 air natique wich is a sport natique with a tower and tanks. But the tanks are so small they dont make much of a difference.

1 sac in rear ski locker towards the surf side

1 sac across the back behind the engine toward the surf side

1 sac next to the engine on side of boat, what ever side your surfing.

I would add one more across the back or on the side to compensate for no tanks, I also have been putting lead bars on the side of the boat next to engine under the sac about 4 or 6 bars at 75 pounds each. we surf it between 9 and 10mh it gets a pretty nice wave out of it for the size boat and it will surf both sides.
Old     (austinday)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
P.S. If the back rub sail is touching the water or if it has a little water splashing over it wile riding then your doin it rite. I would put any weight in the bow of the boat or in the center between the seats. if you have alot of people on the boat one day just have one sit up there other wise you as you found out doesnt help the wake on this boat. you should be able to get a nice shapes wake thats pretty long, but it wont get very tall. just above nee high at best.
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Don,
I have more weight in the back....therefore I can have more weight upfront and keep the wake balanced.
Get more weight in the back...like Austin states. The more peeps the better.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
I will try that out maybe this week. I have all but given up on it but will give it one more shot. I honestly have been looking at V drives to replace it for this reason lol
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention I have a hyperlite broadcast. Not sure how that factors in but it is the only board I have ridden. With what little wake i can get, I dont know if that board helps or hurts my effort.