Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    r3612            05-13-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
Have a friend who is looking into these 2 particular boats.

If I recall correctly Nauty changed their hull sometime in there and the older one wasn't as good of a wakeboat. I could be wrong, but is there any years he should stay away from?

Also same question on the Prostar hulls.....Though I"m pretty sure they are the same except for the question on the Sammy Duvall 205... (again not positive) Is that a different hull? Any years to stay away from on those. Also most he's found seem to have 275HP is that enough for about 1200lbs of ballast? We've only been in one with the LT-1 saced out and that did the trick with 1800 no prob.

These are really the 2 entry boats he likes, Leaning towards the Mc's just due to the fact of room. A little higher gunwales and a little wider.

Any info.... advice..comments would be much appreciated as I don't know too much about the older hulls and boats.
Old    alanp            05-13-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
i have a 94 ps 190. i have about 2k in ballast in the boat with 2 custom hard tanks and lead. no fat sacs. there isnt a ton of room in the boat. more than three people and it starts to get too crowded for my taste. however the wake is pretty darn good. ive ridden in STOCK "wakeboard" boats and the wake wasnt even close to the wake i have. HOWEVER if the those boats were to sac out then they would put my boats wake to shame. until im ready to land 7s wake to wake(not happening anytime soon if ever) ill never need more wake than i currently have. dont expect to ride at 80 feet and 23 mph with the ps, with the narrow beam it just isnt happening. i dont know much about the nautique he's looking at but i highly suggest the ps. there will be plenty of hp for whatever ballast you decide to go with but you may have to change props to get a little better hole shot.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Nautique will have a better vert wake. I had a '95 prostar with the 275 hp. We used 5 sacs, 2 in back, 2 on sides and 1 in bow. No problem with power and great fuel economy, also great rampy wake shape. If he is looking at mastercraft, make sure it is '95 or later-changed hull and still current hull of X-1.
Old    r3612            05-14-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Sorry forgot to add that it's a prostar 205
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Any boat that says Sammy Duvall on it was the same boat. So a Pro Star 205 and a Sammy Duvall 205 are the same boat. IT was just more expensive
Old    r3612            05-14-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
AHHHHHHH just signature series with upholstery and and engine upgrade....NICE....charge you twice as much :-)
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-14-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
we have a 94' prostar 205 w/tower ect.. and use 850-1200 rear and 400-650 mid-front ballast and everyone loves the wake.the boat has held up fantastic. also,add acme 543 prop and it rocks.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-14-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Sport Nautiques had the same hull as the SAN and Pro Air through atleast the late 90's. So if you like the wakes on those boats with enough ballast you'll be able to get a wake comporable to those 2 boats.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-14-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
i have a 94 ps205 (in profile) and we love it. 1200# in the rear, 600# in the bow, 2-5 peeps and the wake is superb... have everyone shift to one side and throws one hella surf wake 11.5 mph -- boarding we ride at 75' and 24mph...i am still running stock prop b/c of fuel effeciency. boat doesn't jump out of the water, but planes out pretty quick w/ that amount of weight --good luck on the decision
Old    gator_boards06            05-14-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
i have a 97 prostar 205, i have around 2k in ballast plus on average 5 people, it chunks nicely plenty of power, but i would suggest getting you a four blade prop, acme, Oj etc.. mastercraft has always done me good never had any major problems with my boat, besides routine fix, also i had a 3 bladeon there and it didnt plane for nuthing, four blade is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!
gator