Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-14-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
I just tried wakesurfing a couple weeks ago for the first time and it was awesome. I am still learning the positioning on the board and in the pocket but need some ideas on a good cheaper starter board. I am a big guy at 250. The only boards I have tried are the Yellow loogie and the Ronix caption which seem kind of small. Should I be looking for something closer to 5.5 feet? I was thinking a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" would be ok or something along those lines. Since I am just starting and on a budget a used couple year old board would work for me.

If anybody knows of a board that would work for me and for sale in the Seattle area it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett
Old    surfdad            05-15-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
Hey Brett,

The general concensus is that the 5'6" Broadcast is an excellent choice for newbies. Easy to ride, budget conscious, fits most racks and is pretty sturdy.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-15-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, now I just have to find a used one for cheap in the Seattle area.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-15-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
brett you dont need to find one you just need to borrow mine.. ill hook you up give me a call.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Hey Brett, hook up with your neighbors, the Inland Surfer guys on Lake Sammamish. See if they will let you "demo" a Red Tide for a few months.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-15-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I'm 6'5" 230lbs and my first board is the 5'6" broadcast and it holds my weight on a good size wave. With that said, its built like a wakeboard, just surfboard size. Its rather heavy, slow, and not that maneuverable. Yes it will float you, by surface area alone. I've outgrown the board in about 4 months total riding.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-15-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Lil John is going to let me borrow his 5'6" broadcast for a while. He is thinking along the lines of Blair that I will outgrow it pretty quick.

Thanks John
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
The broadcast is a great beginner board but as Blair stated, you will out grow it fairly quickly. In Brett's original post he stated he wanted a cheap beginner board. The Broadcast fits the bill. If you want to spend more money, the Inland Surfer Blue would probably be a better selection. If the wake on your boat is small, then I would look at the Inland Surfer Red. An Inland Surfer will probably cost you a couple hundred dollars more. Occasionally you can find great close out prices on older model Inland Surfer boards. BTW, the Broadcast will probably fit in your rack but the Inland boards might not if your rack is small.