Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
So I'm heading out for the holiday, only problem is my hometown where I'm leaving from is going to be raining. Its not going to be raining at the lake (5 hour drive).

My custom CS cover that is supposed to be towable, sucks and always comes off when i tow with it.

Anything I can do?

Should I:

1.) Just leave the cover off and let it rain in the boat while towing?

2) Put the cover on and try to secure it additionally somehow?

Has anyone had any luck like duck taping all around the rub rail area where the CS cover ends? Effectively duck taping the cover to the boat, so hopefully it won't slip off when towing?

Or maybe running some straps around the boat and cover to try to hold the cover on??

Also, when you tow with the CS cover, do you leave the rain pole in, or take it out??

Thanks for any help, I'm kinda stressing over this.
Old     (moombadaze)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-02-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
just let it get rained in---leave the drain the plug out so the rain water will drain--i had the same thing happen while towing from atlanta to tampa and still had the bildge pump come on. Clean it when you get to the lake and have fun.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-02-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
I would rather clean up rain than try and remove duck tap adhesive from my boat and rub rail. I wouldn't use straps either. If they vibrate with the wind, could leave scratches under the straps. You could possibly put towels under the straps where they touch the boat. It would be easier to let it rain and wipe it down when the rain stops.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-02-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
We've towed in a down pour. Don't cover it. Take the plug out. Boats are meant to get wet. Just make sure to air out the compartments when you're not using the boat. When you get home, vacuum out the moisture in the carpet. You don't want mold! It'll all be good.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-02-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
oh yeah, make sure to air out your vests (and anything else that could hold water) when you get to the lake.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-02-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
i leave off too. i'd rather spend some time/sweat cleaning than buffing out anything that got rubbed or replacing a torn/lost cover.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
because of the way the windshield curves, do you think it will block most of the rain from soaking the dash and stereo when towing at 60mph?

my boat is my baby, and she's nearly new...never been out in the rain before.

i'm also going to tape the paddle wheel as mentioned in a post the other day.

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on July 02, 2009)
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
leave it off and sham wow the water out when you get there.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-02-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
When we tow in the rain we would leave the cover off but we put packing tape over the vents below the windshield (if your boat has them) so the compartments didn't get soaked. I towed my old boat hundreds of mile in the rain never hurt a thing. Plan on it being dirty as hell though.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-02-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
I would never leave the cover off, you know what it's like when you follow someone on the freeway and the spray hits your windshield, pretty much black road dirt... Well your car tires are going to spray that all over your boat. I just towed home 2.5 hours in the rain, I put the cover on (not sure what your cover is like but with the MC cover I just make sure it's tight, no pulls or straps) when I get home I hose off the cover and dry it before I take it off. Much easier to clean the cover than the whole interior of the boat. your seats, carpet, windshield etc will be so dirty! just my 2 cents.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Take it to the dealer & get it shrink wrapped.

Towing in the rain around here would be an awful mess. I'd work on getting a new cover, or having the existing cover modified so it works when your towing.

If your worried about scuffing up the glass or windshield, cover that area with blue painters tape. Later it should peel off without leaving anything behind.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
isn't getting it shrink wrapped like $100 bucks?

bill your CS cover on your V-Ride doesn't come off when towing?

Do you tow with the rain pole in or out?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-02-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I have towed with no cover...boat gets dirty but it cleans up.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-02-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
If the cover does not tow well then don't do it? Its not worth it, but I know how it hurts.........................
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
I have a Rankin cover. The previous owner offered me the factory cover but I passed.

What about putting the factory cover on & securing it down with some straps of some kind?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
i've decided to just risk it w/o the cover instead of trying to rig something up.

its not even guaranteed rain, ha-ha midwest weather! maybe i'll totally miss it!

anywho, i'm going to wax the whole boat today since it super nice. with a thick coat of wax hopefully the road grime will wash and wipe off much easier!