Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-08-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Hi. I just tried out wakeboarding last weekend. I demoed a 2007 Gator 141. Got up 2nd try, did ok, could cross wakes both ways. I hated getting into the boots so I found some bargain priced 2007 CWB Faction Hinge Tech bindings that I purchased online. Now I am hunting for a wakeboard, again there are some good bargains on 07 gear.
Is there any advantage to starting on a beginner or intermediate board? I mean I don't plan on staying a beginner! I don't think I will likely ever be advanced however. I am 36 years old (in good shape)and chances are won't be doing flips and such...

I am looking at 2007:

Byerly Legacy 56 (advanced)
Gator 141 (Intermediate/Advanced)
Hyperlite Era (Intermediate/Advanced)
CWB Transcend 138 (Intermediate/Advanced)
Liquid Force Team (intermediate)

What is even the difference between a beginner and advanced board.. fin depth, concavity?

Any input would be appreciated!

(Message edited by kimper on May 08, 2008)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-08-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
get an o'brien player you will not be disappointed
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Demo as many of them as you can. everyone has their own preference and each board will ride a little different. I personally ride an older 05 Era and love it, my skills just need to catch up to the board's potential. but you have the right idea, no real need to start w/ a beginner board if you plan on progressing.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-08-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
You've got some good bindings, which are a big piece of the puzzle. Nothing can kill your desire to ride than uncomfortable bindings. There have been some advanced boards in the past that weren't quite as rider friendly. I have ridden the Premier/Era, Absolute shapes, and the Transcend and I think that they work pretty well for most people. The Faction board that I just picked up is also pretty easy to ride, but is still advanced enough to where the sky is the limit. There are some advanced boards like the HL Parks board that didn't lend itself to beginner riding as it was unpredictable for some. Demo if you can, try to ride other people's boards and do some searches here.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
some people say not to get advanced boards when first learning bc some of those boards are less forgiving and you need a super consistant edge for good pop everytime. (ex. when the hyperlite parks board came out tons of people bought it but that board i have been told you need to be a super consitant at cutting to ride that deck.)and its not forgiveing)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-08-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
Demo them, see what works. If you plan on progressing, i've never seen ANY reason why you should have to buy a new board every time you feel you need to go bigger. Find a good board your comfy with and roll with it man! IMO anyway
Old     (skink)      Join Date: May 2008       05-08-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
what exactly IS the difference between a beginner and an advanced board? i mean really, other than how poppy they are off the wake and such. isn't it going to be just as easy for a beginner to hop on an advanced board and be able to do all the beginner stuff ie. cross wake's and learning to jump? i'm just saying this because i have been on the "intermediate/advanced" boards from day one and wouldn't say it has hindered my progress in any way. right now i ride the era finless, and i took my gf out last summer and put the fins on and let her have at it. she did just fine for her first time riding.

edit: oops, got ahead of myself. i see that the question was already answered. my mistake.

(Message edited by skink on May 08, 2008)
Old    59yroldkid            05-08-2008, 10:43 PM Reply   
I'm a beginner and I've only ridden two boards; last year an '06 CWB Marius 134 with hinge tech bindings, and this year an '07 Slingshot Recoil 142 with '07 Driver bindings. Both boards are fine; my biggest constraint is my age.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2008, 11:02 PM Reply   
"beginner" boards are more user friendly. they are boards that dont have are not designed with a distinct riding style in mind. almost all "beginner" boards were pro models at one time. they do not limit you on what you can do. boards like the LF trip are some times labeled as beginner boards because they are a great price and can be found as a package even though it is an amazing board and is a pro model (LF melissa).

CWB uses the old absolute shape for a lot of their package "beginner" boards and that was definitely a pro model. its just a great board that works great and lets the rider find their own style instead of the board setting the style
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2008, 1:53 AM Reply   
Like Mitch said, most beginner boards are more neutral, and allow you to grow into whatever style you naturally ride, rather than pigeon-holing you (and potentially hindering your progression later).

'Beginner' boards will not pop any less or ride any faster simply because they are beginner boards - they are just the most tried-and-true, simplest, and most neutral shapes, that allow for natural growth (again, as Mitch said, most 'beginner' boards were at one time pro models). Pro models generally features more specific hull shaping, shallower fins, more concave.

I'd say start on a beginner board, then step straight into an advanced once you've figured out your style, what you like, and what you're good at.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-09-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
You already bought the Faction bindings, you should consider the Faction board as well. It's a great board that you will not outgrow and you can pick one up for a real good price.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
Get the Hyperlite Era. It is similar to the old Premier shape which as been around for a long time. That board is easy to ride and it will take you anywhere you want to go. Don't waste time and money on beginner boards.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
The Faction board would be a great choice IMO.
How tall are you and whats your weight?

(Message edited by innov8 on May 09, 2008)
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-09-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Michael i got the Parks board and i am a beginner and a still got today issue to be confortable with that board ! i will change this year for a more beginner board
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-09-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
at your age I would get a board that lands soft...look for a single or double spine....some times they call it double concave. Get as long a board as you can ride....meaning go more to the larger end rather than shorter.(again this will help ease the landings)...good for your back!

If anything a beginner board will make surface spins more difficult...as the big fins make it hard to release......you could always put smaller fins on.

i personally would get an intermediate or advanced board.....from Liquid force or Cwb...they all land pretty soft.

marius ,transcend ,absolute, watson, shane,
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-09-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys!

Innov8:
I am 6' tall 200 lbs, 36yo

I am at the lake again this weekend. I will see what they have to demo. The thing is I am so green I can't really compare and contrast boards like someone who knows how to ride.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2008, 11:41 PM Reply   
Davis~ I'm old like 40 sum thang and i ride the faction, love the board, just like N ov8 said da faction would be a great board to buy, i got a killer deal on 07 model. check BBB or Wakeside for price. by the way, my summer goals are to do a backroll/tantrum & a raley! you only live once!
Old     (ryan355)      Join Date: May 2008       05-10-2008, 3:12 AM Reply   
I started out on the CWB 135 Sol, and loved it. Just recently got a CWB Absolute Platinum. I love it even more. A few friends that have never road before were able to use the board just fine, without fins too. I would usually let them use the Sol, but it wasn't with us. The only reason I would make them use my old board is so they don't hurt my new one, haha. The edges aren't that sharp, so they are beginner friendly. Great pop if you push it, but nice and mellow if you are just going for your first wake2wake jumps. Has a spine for softer landings. Good choice on bindings, I liked those a lot. I switched to the Zeus's when I got my new board though. Any board you choose, I'm sure will be just fine. So I'd just hurry up and pick one, get out there, and start progressing and enjoying!
Old     (2onboone)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-10-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
hey man i am with i just got my boat last year and started wake boarding last year
my dealer gave me a gator board and bindings with my boat
didn't have any problem getting up or just riding even can go wake to wake "sometimes"
the board is too. fast for me,the bindings don't suit my feet. but i wasn't good enough to know what i wanted in a board.
my suggestion buy something the first year that has been around and a tried and true design and that everyone in the boat could ride in the future and that is cheap i've seen setups for $200-300. then next year when you get adjusted and find out what you like and don't like about the board so you can go on the quest for what you want.
i just got a ronix manas and oxford it is supposed to be a little slower and ride a little higher in the water
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-10-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Davis at your height and weight I would go 141cm and up.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-13-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Demo'ed Liquid Force Watson. Its ranked "advanced" and even at my newbie stage I could tell a difference between it and the gator's gator 141. It was "slicker" and frankly I fell more. I did get my first little baby (maybe 1 inch) air off the wake coming in heelside! hehe! I also ordered "The Book" DVD series.. lots to learn and no wakeboarding friends..

Anyway, I think I have narrowed it down to either the CWB Faction 144 or the Gator that I demoed. Sadly the small shop in the lake town (Marble Falls Texas) doesn't carry CWB. I am sorta tired of demoing anyway, need to learn to ride first. Thanks for the great input from you guys. I will try to let you know how it goes!

(Message edited by kimper on May 13, 2008)
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Davis with the faction you can replace the fins with .7 absolute fins which makes the board much funner when you learn your edging really well.

If you want to learn edging very quickly hop on a wakeskate finless and youll be forced to learn to edge.