Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-07-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
Okay so I'm thinking about building a winch. I need info on the equipment, i.e. motor, clutch, sprockets, rope, rope guides. What specific parts have people been using and where did you get them? I also want to be able to do a deep water start with a 200lb guy, what HP do you think I'll need?

I'm not worried about the actual fabrication, I have access to everything for that. I'm just not sure which components I'll need. Also any pics or links to write ups would be great.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
my parts list for my winch
1 -8hp Briggs & Stratton side shaft motor
1 -30 Series TAV 10 tooth/1" bore
1 -36" 1" axle aluminum or steel
1 -Sprocket 54, 60, or 72 tooth
1 -Sprocket hub
4 -Pillow block bearings (2 For spool)
1 -5' Piece of allthread (For spool)
1 -5' Piece of Aluminum conduit (For spool)
1 -5'x5'sheet 1/8" steel diamond plate (For spool)
1 -600' spool of 7/64 amsteel rope
1 -Big eye bolt for a rope guide
1 -Chain (Whatever size However long)
1 -Quick Release pin (For the releasing spool)
Upload
Upload
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
www.Northerntool.com
www.bmikarts.com
www.gokartsupply.com
www.seattlemarine.net

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on July 07, 2008)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
How did you do the quick release?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
We cut a piece of pipe and welded it to one of the spool sides, drilled a hole through the pipe piece, drilled a hole through the axle, and put it the quick release pin. So now when you're pulling the rope out instead of fighting the engine you just pull the pin and the rope comes out real nice and smooth

Upload
Upload
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-08-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
That looks nice. Thanks for the info.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-08-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
David,

You could possibly get away with a 6.5hp engine, but I would go with at least 8hp... Use a TAV2, 56 tooth sprocket, #41 chain, and 4" - 8" inner spool diameter; and your winch will be dialed in..

For the engine I would go with the Honda GXS 200 6.5hp engine, and do the first stage racing mod to get 9 HP out of it.. You can get the engine and MOD parts for less than $300 on Ebay. Reason I highly recommend this is because the difference in weight between a 6.5 hp engine and 8 hp engine is close to 40 lbs.

Here is my latest winch...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-08-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
Thats a really good looking winch Ken. Question though, whats the reasoning for the brake? I see some people have it and some don't?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
God I love that winch . . . . pure sex
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
A brake is not necessary unless you are pulling tight spots (short runs). I use the brake to tighten the rope on short runs, so the rider is to speed quicker. The brake on my red winch is really expensive, and a little overboard in my opinion; its a hydrualic brake with about 600 lbs of stopping force per square inch of disc. If the a brake is needed, it is really nice to have..

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
www.wakeboarding-winch.com