Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I value u guys opinions so I wanted to ask about another boat Im looking at; Its a 1999 moomba outback (directdrive), good condition, sound system, tower, the guages didnt work but he's suppose to take care of that (some kind of modulator), price asking is $15000 negotiable.
what da u thik? If this doesnt work out Im going back to an I/O until I can afford a nice v-drive! I miss not having a boat.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
SJ, My first boat was a 2000 Outback. It was a good reliable boat, but needed a lot of weight to get an OK wake. The wake was good enough for most riders and I learned many inverts behind that boat. I put 600 hrs on it and never had a problem. I sold it for around 17K. Today, I would not pay more than 10-12K for 99.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
Kevin, thanks for the reply. Ive been getting mixed reviews about older moomba boats and how alot of them had problems, so Im weary but would love to have an inboard, but dont want to be fixin it all the time. Ive always had an i/o with good luck and for me it had a decent wake, but thats all ive every ridden behind.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
I would take it over and I/O any day (especially if it has perfect pass).
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
its doesnt have perfect pass, and since the guages dont work, he doesnt know how many hours it has. He recently added a new prop, packing, bilge and blower. I know nothing about inboards but isnt it alot like a car motor? What can of problems can be expected with a 99?
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
It is just like a car motor. They are super easy to work on and very easy to add perfect pass. Without perfect pass I wouldn't pay more than 11K for a 99. You should be able to get actual hours by having a indmar dealer read the ECM. The bilge and blower are no big deal - $20 parts. The packing rope is only a couple of bucks also and a easy fix on that boat. You can expect to adjust the packing once a year.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thanks! Sounds like u know what your talking about, so , do u know of the MDC, ihttp://www.llmarine.com/product.htm?pid=576877&catid= thats what he said went out.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Hey SJ,

The Medallion module is a somewhat common problem on these boats. If you go to Moomba.com and search through the old posts in the forum, someone even came up with a work around.

Jman
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
The older outbacks had 2 different hulls and the one that was shared with the Mobius (LS I think???) could crank a decent wake, but the other wich was usually mated with the DD didn't make much wake at all, even with balast which was limited due to the low sides. Back in the day, I rode with someone who had an older Outback DD and I had an I/O and we ended up taking my IO more because of the better wake, so no not all inboards are better than I/Os from a wake perspective.