Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Im torn between a nice(newer) more roomy i/o boat or an older inboard (for my price range they all seem to be closed bow), so what do yall think? Heres a malibu i found near home.
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/741085379.html
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Looks like a very good deal, so long as it runs as advertised. I'm not sure whether Malibu was using wood stringers in 90, so you will want to make sure there are no soft spots in the floor or cracking of the gelcoat at the floor level (indicates floor is rotting out).

Go give it a test drive!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
I think Malibu used wood up until around 92-93. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I had an 86 Sunsetter and if there are similarities in the hull, the Skier hull should be capable of a nicely shaped wake with some weight in it. If you aren't already, look at Supra Sunsports also. They are the same hull as the early direct drive Launch which made a nice wake. They have wood floors/stringers too though.
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
i got a 93 euro f3 and its all composite, i believe the earlier ones still had wood though, all in all its a good boat for the money. Crisp clean little wake, although youll be hard pressed to sack it out with more than 600lbs, mine will swamp over the nose with no weight in it. It is a bit tight and cramped with 4 people, boards, sacks and supplies. But overall the wakes good enough for most people unless youre pro level. I only paid 6900 for mine though although the interior was pretty well thrashed so 8500 seems a bit high for me.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
I drove and rode behind outboards and I/O until I could buy my own inboard (old 2001) and will never get anything but an inboard from now on. Get an inboard you will not be sorry. Only down side is the room but the boat all around will be twice the boat for the money than any I/O. Then you will want to upgrade in a couple of years.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2008, 3:52 AM Reply   
Is this boat and the prostar 190, sn2001, supra sunsport basically the same boat as in size?? I hear about an inboard! My only problem is wife and two kids wich im trying to get them to enjoy going out on the water, these things dont have much room, but yes much beter boat wake wise for sure. Im coming from a 17.5 bayliner with the 4 cyl., so Im sure any inboard would be a big improvement. Which is better maintenance wise??
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-07-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
I have an 86 supra closed bow. Although it will go through a stringer and floor repair this winter it has been great mechanicaly. I wish I had an open bow but for the money Im more than happy with the closed bow.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
Get an open bow!!!! You'll be sorry if you don't. Especially with kids.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
Thats what everyone keeps telling me! But it will have to be an I/O for my price range.

(Message edited by jixxxer on July 07, 2008)
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Look into a nautique sport 1989 and up or a supra with a open bow the prices have really come down and there are a lot of good deals out there if you take your time and search. take it for a test drive and look at the floors to make sure there is no rot. Also look under the seat cushions and check the wood there for rot.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
'93 was the first year of all composite for Malibu, the Echelon was the first, but it wasn't across all models until '95.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/boa/699476966.html
If you dont mind driving a little. open bow mastercraft with new interier and a tower looks like a good deal