Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (tp1188)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
I just sold my fishing boat so that I can purchase my first wakeboard specific boat. Anything under $16,000 is the range of boats I am looking at. I do not know much about inboards and hull designs, so I figured this forum would be my greatest asset. Test driving multiple boats is not really an option because I'll have to drive 7+ hours to find one. I am currently looking at late '90's Malibu Sunsetters and Responses and also a few Tige boats. What's my best option? (Don't start a brand fight on this thread)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
In addition to those that you are already looking at (I would stay clear of Response hull), here are some decent choices that might be in your price range with a little negotiation. I can vouch that all of these hulls will throw a good wake when weighted.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=531946

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=374376

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=517775

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=179273

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=456770

http://www.tradeexpress.com/details.aspx?adnum=632237&ref=va

http://www.livedeal.com/ShowItemDetail?id=64646710

http://www.livedeal.com/ShowItemDetail?id=64639944
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-01-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
MC PS 205, Supra and the Nautique are all good boats.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-01-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
don't forget the Sanger.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
I would stick with the Sunsetter over the Response. Also make sure you look at the LX Sunsetter and not the LXi unless you want to do some skiing too. I know of a '95 Sport Nautique in Alabama that is right around your price range, new interior, tower, Boss GT-40 PCM engine and around 700 hours. You can PM me if you are interested. I have a buddy that is needing to sell. Sangers are hard to find in the Southeast, but I have seen some in Texas. The Mastercraft Pro Star 205 as mentioned above would be a great choice and the Supra Sunsport or early Launch also throw a nice wake.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-01-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
That first boat listed above is a Mastercraft 205 with the Corvette LT-1 engine. My dad has that same boat from '98 and I can vouch for that engine as being one of the strongest I've had the opportunity to drive. Plus the wake is incredible when the boat is loaded up and the engine pulls it out like nothing. 111 hours is minimal, we have over 450 on ours and she runs like a champ. We finally replaced the plugs a 100 hours or so ago and they looked brand new.
Old     (tp1188)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
everyone's help is great...but i guess i forgot to mention that I live in south Louisiana, and I'm not willing to drive more than 10 hours for a boat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Yeah I didn't mean that you would want to look at those exact boats, but might want to consider those models as you continue your search.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
I am not sure what part of LA you are in, but the boat I mentioned is in Birmingham, AL.
Old     (tp1188)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
is 800 - 1,000 hours on a motor really that bad? Many of the boats that I'm finding have that many hours. How much does it cost to get a motor rebuilt?
Old     (tp1188)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
i was told that $1500-$2500 is a normal price for rebuilding a motor
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-02-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
The last time I replaced a motor was 2 years ago in a 92' Nautique Excel. I was close to $4000.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-02-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
Mastercraft 205 puts out a really nice wake. my buddy has a '96 205 and it handles a lot of weight really well. if you could find a Mastercraft 205v it gets even better.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-02-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
There was a guy in the slidell area selling a response lx with tower and wedge and whatnot for around that range. no its not a vdrive and the sunsetter series would probably put out a little bit bigger wake...but weighted properly the response will put out a wake that is as big as you need with a nice shape! I have a skylon fatboy on both sides of the engine...and depending on how many people are in the boat...btwn 280-680 in the back (either a small/med sack btwn the engine and the backseat or the big sack in place of the backseat if there are only a couple of us in the boat)...and btwn 440-680 in the bow (depends on the weight in the back) usually try to match what I have in the front with what I have in the back because the wedge gives it more and makes it that 60/40 that you're lookin for. and the wake is a lot bigger than you think! that and the response handles like a sports car and would give you better fuel economy when unweighted considering its a litghter smaller boat. I don't mean to make assumptions here but since this is your first wakeboard boat that you are looking for I would assume that you are somewhat new to the sport (talkin about level of riding)...the wake on a response would be all that you need for a good while. don't get me wrong I'm all for the mc 205, and the sunsetter...I am just putting my two cents in about people saying to steer clear of the response...itd be a great boat (as would the others) for what you're lookin for...

if you are ever up in the jackson, ms area hit me up and ill pull you on mine and you can check out the wake and the boat before you rule it out. I also have a buddies with a 205v, a sunsetter, and a sport nautique if you wanted to try them all out so you could make a decision...and though its out of your price range your looking at you can ride behind my friends 00 xstar, 06 sante, 07 wakesetter and a 40th anniv. xstar just for s$its and giggles ;)
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-02-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
There was a guy in the slidell area selling a response lx with tower and wedge and whatnot for around that range. no its not a vdrive and the sunsetter series would probably put out a little bit bigger wake...but weighted properly the response will put out a wake that is as big as you need with a nice shape! I have a skylon fatboy on both sides of the engine...and depending on how many people are in the boat...btwn 280-680 in the back (either a small/med sack btwn the engine and the backseat or the big sack in place of the backseat if there are only a couple of us in the boat)...and btwn 440-680 in the bow (depends on the weight in the back) usually try to match what I have in the front with what I have in the back because the wedge gives it more and makes it that 60/40 that you're lookin for. and the wake is a lot bigger than you think! that and the response handles like a sports car and would give you better fuel economy when unweighted considering its a litghter smaller boat. I don't mean to make assumptions here but since this is your first wakeboard boat that you are looking for I would assume that you are somewhat new to the sport (talkin about level of riding)...the wake on a response would be all that you need for a good while. don't get me wrong I'm all for the mc 205, and the sunsetter...I am just putting my two cents in about people saying to steer clear of the response...itd be a great boat (as would the others) for what you're lookin for...

if you are ever up in the jackson, ms area hit me up and ill pull you on mine and you can check out the wake and the boat before you rule it out. I also have a buddies with a 205v, a sunsetter, and a sport nautique if you wanted to try them all out so you could make a decision...and though its out of your price range your looking at you can ride behind my friends 00 xstar, 06 sante, 07 wakesetter and a 40th anniv. xstar just for s$its and giggles ;) I'm sure brad (fellow ww guy) wouldn't mind pullin you behind his moomba either..
Old     (tp1188)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-02-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
thanks for the offer of rides. i'd certainly come if gas was cheaper. I'm likely about to drop $400ish on gas to drive somewhere and buy a boat. I thought about the response, but I rather get a sunsetter and have less ballast because we need room for our large family.
Old     (tp1188)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-02-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
also....i'm not new to the sport. I've been wakeboarding for more than 5 years behind my dad's outboard bayboat and I'm ready to upgrade. I've progressed enough to where the boat is hindering my skill. I plan to upgrade enough so that this boat will last me until i have the money for a new top of the line boat.