Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    qfirefighter            02-09-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Need Infor on my amp set-up in my 2001 195 Prostar. Have three Amps 2 Kenwood KAC-7201's and a MTX Thunder 801-D for a MTX thunder8000-T81044A Sub. Have two Napa Marine deep-cell Batterys for the boat with battery Switch, one, two, or both. Boat has stock alternater on it. Should or do I have to install a Capacitor( maybe 1 farad) on the sub amp or not.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
I would run a cap(atleast a 1 farad) I don't know what those amps draw(you have to check how big the fuses are on the amps), but I run a 1 farad cap, optima deep cycle battery, and stock alternator with 3 amps(all Diamond audio) and I haven't had any problems with the altenatetor overheating or loss of voltage. I run this in a 1996 prostar 205.
Old    qfirefighter            02-09-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
Jason, The kenwood amps have 2-30 amp fuses for each amp and the MTX has 3-25 amp fuses.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-09-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Rod, you could be easily pulling 100 amps at listen levels. There are alot of varibles to consider though. I run a little bigger ( 3 amp) setup. I have a 1.5 farad cap as well as a 100 amp alt. when I get the volume close to 3/4 I'll see a voltage drop of .5-1.0 volts. I'm sure I'll fry this alt by the end of the year. I have have one deep cycle (wal-mart brand) and one starting hooked up to a stinger relay. I see 13.6 -13.8 at idle w/ the radio off. Caps are realtively cheap ($100) people have differing opinions on them....I think they help. I have a 96 PS 190.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Rod, unless you run the stereo alot with the engine off, I would say you are fine judging on the fuse sizes of your amps. When the altenator has to recharge the battery and run the boat is when you stress the altenator. I never go by the watt rating on the amp unless it comes with a certified certificate, instead always go off the fuse sizes. The next few times you are out watch the volt meter with the stereo jamming how you would usually listen to it. Unless you see it dropping below 12-12.5 volts alot, just leave it. If you do go with a larger alt. just remember to check the wire size to the batteries and make sure it's sufficent
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-09-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
There's a formula somewhere that will calculate proper guage wire based on legnth/amperage. Maybe someone will post. Running too small of a guage can be a fire hazzard.
Old    qfirefighter            02-09-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
Thank's Adam @ jason for the infor. Think I will go with a 1 farad cap. The wife likes her Reggae and Rock loud while Sun-bathing on her boat. HA! Right!! Jason will keep an i on the Volts next time out. Have ether of you dealt with The Battery Shack or were is a good place to buy a high-output alt if needed.
Old    qfirefighter            02-09-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
Jason also the amps will only be about two feet from the batteries. amps @ batteries are both under pass seat. Was planning on 10 or 8 guage wire and fused.
Old    qfirefighter            02-09-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Oh I see what you are saying Jason. The wire from the alt to the battery. guess I should pay a tension.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
Rod, I'd run at least 8 ga, to be on the safe side run 4ga off the battery. I'm running 0 ga. to my fuse block. I used a local guy for my alt. If I ever have any problems I can have somehting fixed same day. No problems for the last year. He did a great job, he's been in business for years. It was cheap too, only $70 or so w/ my old alt., and yes its marinized

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on February 10, 2005)
Old    qfirefighter            02-10-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
adam, did you have your stock alt rebuilt or new alt.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2005, 5:58 AM Reply   
It was a rebuilt alt, but not my stock. He took my old alt. in as trade, swaped it out with one to my required specs.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 6:18 AM Reply   
would strongly suggest blue top optima's gel cell batteries... you will literally wear out your current batteries if you havent already

gel cell batteries are really unique, they can be totally run down 1000 times and come back no problem unlike a acid type battery (good for 2-3 run downs)

depending on the length of power cable between your battery and amps- you should at least go 2 ga for short length and 0 ga for long length (do the same gauge for the negative run)

btw, the bigger the alt. the better- just confirm with the shop there is no alt. whine.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
Mike,

All deep cycle batteries are meant to be "run down" then brought back to charge multiple times. I'm a little rusty on my gel vs acid info. But I do remember reading that you should have the same type of batteries in your battery bank for charging purposes. ie. both gel, not one of each. If you do a search , there are some good websites w/ tons of info on batteries.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
uhm...try running a acid based battery 100% down 2-3 times and check the condition of the battery (doesnt matter if it deep cycle or not)..

most acid deep cycles can be run down 70%-80% ocasionally, but not every single time.

the optimas are pretty much state of the art deep cycle gel cells that can be continually run down mutliple times and be charged back quickly compared to acid or first generation gel cells (that is why the majority of med to hard core car audio systems haved used optima batteries over the years)

yes, you do want to use identical batteries (would suggest 2 blue top optimas from costco and a perko switch)

(Message edited by clubmyke on February 11, 2005)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
Mike,

I re-read your previous post....Now I see what your were saying. I've had my wal-mart deep cycle battery for a little over a year now. It still holds a charge and sees 12.5 -12.6 with the motor off. I rarely if ever let it discharge 100% , I'll turn my boat on every couple of hours to let it recharge.
Old    qfirefighter            02-11-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
Mike, think I will go with the Optima gel cell batteries. Thank's for the input. Still need to find a place to get a high output alt.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
dont forget the perko switch !!!!! you will need it you run both batteries at the same time.

let us know how it turns out- good luck!!!
Old    qfirefighter            02-12-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
Mike, when I get my sub and batteries installed I'll post some pic's for you guys. Thank's again for all the input.