Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-16-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys, just a few little questions I wanted to ask some of ya'll that know a lot more about stereos/speakers than myself.

I have an old Cobalt I/O and I simply wanted to upgrade the existing stereo and speakers, while possibly leaving room for improvement if I can ever come up with the money for a tower/tower speaker system.

The boat came with just an Am/FM Cassette with two 6.5" speakers in the back on the engine cover and 2 box-like (maybe component?) speakers under both the driver and passenger seats. Now, only 1 of the component speakers work, and I'd like to just replace everything for as cheaply as possible.

How does this sound? I was thinking about getting some of those Polk DB650 6.5" 2-way speakers (180w peak power, 60w RMS, $59/pair)for the back on the engine cover. Then to replace the front components, I thought maybe about getting two 6"x9" speakers in a box-enclosure and mounting them up there. Then just get a 200w or so CD Receiver to replace the AM/FM.

How would that sound?? Sadly, I know next to nothing about all this audio stuff. Tell me, would I need an amplifier for this setup, or would the CD receiver be sufficient to make this sound good? Also, can I just directly wire this system to my battery, as is my existing AM/FM?

Thanks for any help guys!

p.s. This is a weird question, but maybe ya'll would have a solution. Those rear 6.5" speakers that mount on my engine cover get the wires torn out of them a lot when the engine cover is entirely removed to work on the engine. Is there any sort of quick-disconnect harness I could rig up in order to disconnect the wires from those speakers when I need to remove the engine cover?? Really looking for a solution...