Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old    packbacker1981            02-20-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
I was just wondering how you guys felt about the top deck on a boat being solid black, like the rest of the boat. I am looking into ordering a boat solid black even the top deck, but I have heard about boats having a lot of problems with blistering, and the gelcoat not lasting here because of the heat. I have also heard that the boat companies will make you sign a release form that frees them from any warranty work on the gelcoat because of the high risk of something happening to it. Let me know what you guys think, and is it really a big deal. If you have an all black boat post it and let me know how much work it is. Thanks.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-20-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
My boat is all black and I love it. Yes, it is hotter than hell in the summer, and black does require more maintenence than white, but it looks really nice when it's kept up.

I didn't sign any waiver or release and have never heard of anyone having to do that because of a gelcoat color.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Clays Bu is all black. I was suprised at the black gell coat it didnt seem as hot as I thought it was going to be. The top surfaces of his bu are mostly curved or angled so the sun dosent directley hit the black. I think that makes a big differance. If your boat has lots of flat spots that the sun hits and the boat's in the sun all day long then its gonna wear diffrently from white. IMO people that buy a Black boat have been over warned and they know what they are getting into so when you get it, its not that bad.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-20-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
No big deal.

A bit hotter on the hottest days, but on those days, every surface is hot.

Best looking boats are solid colored, IMO

Scuffs show harder, so you may want to buff out the scuffs and scratches every couple of years.

That's about it. You still gotta wipe it down, wash it and wax it a couple times a season. Maybe one extra.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-20-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
i have just ordered a solid black boat too.... i know i will have to deal with the scratches and heat more, but i am pretty anal and take good care of it. just be prepared to take care of it and i also think there is nothing better looking than a solid hull and black especially if it is clean.....
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-20-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
UploadI have had my boat for almost four years. If you know how to take care of a boat you will be fine. Might not be the best decision for your first boat if it is. In regards to factory disclaimers, I never had anyone even mention it. Nautique is great about servicing on waranty. Good luck and black looks sick if you take care of it!!
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-20-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
I've got the red upper, and all black below rub rail and am a little nervous as well. I think if you take extra caution and throw out the boat bumpers when docking and get in the habit of being a little more cautious, you'll be fine. I've also bought a boat trailer buddy(rock deflector) to keep it looking good in transit as well.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-20-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
What kind of rock deflector do you have? And how do you like it? Noticebale protection? The only kind I've seen is the tow-tector.

(Message edited by angrygolucky on February 20, 2007)
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-20-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
http://www.trailer-rockguard.com/ see if that works for ya. it's a quick detach unit, with the pull of a pin at the toungue, the whole unit comes off.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
The only thing with the dark colors is the pos. of fiber print. The manufacturers these days usually take steps to reduce it though.I remember not to long ago this was a topic on an older thread. My boat is pretty much all Black from the waterline up and no print. Same as having a black car. When they are clean and kept up nothing better looking IMO.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-20-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
To say a black top deck is not that bad in the summer is crazy. I don't know where you live, but I had an all black prostar a few years ago and would evaporate in seconds off the bow. (Houston, TX) My almost all white boat now is 100x better than all black. It looks great but the heat is an issue. You'll see the first time your back rubs up and touches a piece of black gel in the heat of the sumer, lol.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-20-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Blacks and reds are more prone to fading, and darker is definitely hotter.
That said, I just bought a black and red boat. You are allowed to be dumb with toys.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-20-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
I thought it was the goal to have a hot boat. Live and learn I guess.
Upload
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-20-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-20-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-20-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
I've got a solid red 04 X2, and nothing on that boat gets hotter than the grey trim on the edges of the seats. Even the white portions of the seat get significantly hotter than the red top deck.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-21-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
It's definitely a lot more work to keep clean.....actually it's a huge pain in the rear. Adam is right too that the black gets extremely hot in the Texas summer sun.

Nothing looks better when it's all shiny though!

Upload
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-21-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
I agree with Zack. More work, but man it looks sweet.

Upload
Old     (aquahawk)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-23-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
KevinL, What kind of speakers/cans did you go with for your BU?

I am shopping now for some, but got quite a stack of homework to go through. Your opinion?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-24-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
They look like Titans....
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-24-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
It has TitanII cans with MbQuart speakers. They are powered by an Alpine amp. They are cleaner sounding than the Rockford Fosgate speakers and amps in the rest of the boat. At some point I plan on replacing the rest of the speakers in the boat with MbQuarts, but the Fosgates are good enough for now.
Old     (aquahawk)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-24-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Sweet, thanks Kevin. I am looking for something for my 2007 VLX and wanna use the stock mounting holes on the tower.

MBQ it is then.

Thanks