Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Heading there in July. Looking to the WW masses for info. We'll be staying at Glory Hole campsite. I KNOW WWer's HAVE OPINIONS! let's here em.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-15-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
I went to New Melones last year for the first time ever. I stayed at glory Hole campsites. Bring shade, an easy up, cause there are hardly any trees. For the good water go past the 2nd bridge on the map. There are high cliffs that protect the water from wind.

I really like Don Pedro better, but thats my opinion. Have fun.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-15-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
Yah, my wife is gonna get some of those when we're done having kids.

Ohhhhhh....what?
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-15-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Funny Rob, it took me a while to figure out what you ment. I thought at first you were talking about an easy up. ha.
Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-15-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
New Melones is nice. If you catch it on a day without wind you'll have butter to yourself all day long.
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
How about the water levels. Any areas to watch out for hazards?
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
......did you leave your boat on the water over night?
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Water level was high last year and is holding pretty steady. You can leave your boat in the water in the cove by the Glory Hole Campsites where the houseboats are located. We usually trailer the boat while there but there are always people who leave their boats in the cove when we camp there.

Nice lake and we have never had a problem finding good water.
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
How about the facilities at Glory Hole campsite. Are there any camp sites with RV hookups?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
#01 Glory Hole Recreation Area

Bureau of Reclamation, Park Manager 6850 Studhorse Flat Road Sonora, CA. 95370 phone:-(209) 536-9094

Glory Hole Rec. Area is located off Hwy. 49 on the Calaveras side of the lake. Glory Hole has two campgrounds, Ironhorse and Big Oak for a total of 144 campsites. There are also three day use areas with picnic tables, grills, water, and restrooms. Launch ramps are located towards the end of the Gloryhole access road. Golden Age/Golden Access cards are accepted.

Ironhorse Campground

Located on west side of Gloryhole access road. Full service restrooms with showers, watertaps, barbecue/fire pits, fish cleaning station, sewage dump station, telephone, launch ramps, no hook-ups, fee.
Big Oak Campground
East side of Gloryhole access road. Restrooms, showers, watertaps, barbeque/fire pits, telephone, fish cleaning station, launch ramps, no hook-ups, fee.
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-19-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Clete, have you moored your boat in the bay or do you pull it out at night?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-19-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
What state is new melones in?
Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-19-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
California. It's right by Angel's Camp and Sonora.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-20-2007, 12:27 AM Reply   
melones is like a mini shasta. its not really that mini but smaller than shasta. shoreline looks very similar. ita alot of fun there. the wind can be a problem, but you have that with any lake really. water is clean and should be pretty warm in july. last time i was there we trailered the boat in the evening and durring the day we jus anchored it out in front of the campsite.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-20-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
When we've stayed there its been at Tuttletown. From our experience, and talking with others, there just isn't that much shade at Glory hole. We ended up leaving our boat in the water over night. We were able to get a campsite next to the water. Of course water levels were high last year.
Upload
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-20-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
We trailerd the boat at night. Our campsite in Big Oak was not close enough to the shoreline . Campsites were very clean and the one we were in was well shaded down at the fire ring. Nice trip for us in April (7).
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-21-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'm in for a good time!