Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (jeffgriggs)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
Has any one had experience towing with a 2000 Toyota 4runner 3.4 6cyl 4X4. It is rated to tow 5000lbs but I live in central TN and it is hilly. looking to tow a mastercraft X-1
Old     (bmoan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-26-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
I have been towing a 2006 vlx with a montero sport that is rated at 5000lbs and it barely does the job, and I live in illinois where it is
flat. When I do encounter the slightest hill
I feel like we wont make it to the top. I would recommend getting something with a larger engine. I am
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-26-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
i used to tow with a 1998 4runner. i had the same boat. i will say that it struggled. also, my boat was a single axle trailer and after the boat pushed me through a few traffic lights, i decided it was time for a bigger car.

the reason i went through a couple lights was i was traveling at 65 mph on an open highway. there are probably 5 lights in a 2 hour span. i finally learned that when i light is ahead, you better slow down no matter what color the light is because if it turns yellow, you wont be able to stop a boat at 65 mph with a 4 runner a trailer without brakes.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-26-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Right on, Brian!
I towed a 225 Maristar for two seasons with a Montero Sport... Even twice to Tahoe! Everyone thought it was nuts and I didn't argue but leave the throttle pegged and it would do 45 up the incline. Someone even flipped me off once in the slow lane. Traded it in on the last day of the month... at night... without a test drive for a new 4Runner. Same mileage while towing but much more power.
Old     (jeffgriggs)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
What about with a 1996-1998 2Dr chevy Tahoe 4X4. Will this do good
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-26-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
it should do a bit better than the runner. 4.6 vortec?