Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (dubsac)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-15-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
I was idling out of my channel yesterday and all of a sudden the oil pressure alarm goes off. We killed the engine immediately and luckily we were very close to a dock, where I tied up the boat for the evening (it was late and the bugs were out). This morning we brought a bunch of oil over and filled it back up. I fired up the engine and the oil pressure was back at 40psi, so I idled the boat back towards my dock. By the time I got there (less than a mile) the oil alarm went off again. I checked the rear bilge and it was full of oil. It must be leaking from somewhere - could this be due to a clogged filter? Boat is only 9-10 months old - 2007 MC X45 with a Crusader 375hp 6.0 engine.
Old     (dubsac)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-15-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
fyi the boat has 190 hours on it (we use it all the time) oil was changed only a couple months ago..
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-15-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Option 1: Fill with oil, start engine, look for leaks.

Option 2: Pull boat and take to repair shop.

Edit: DO NOT turn on your bilge pump or put it in the auto bilge position. It may take hours of cleaning the bilge, but that is what needs to be done.

(Message edited by peter_c on July 15, 2007)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-15-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
this happened to me once, when I bought a filter with the wrong size seal.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-15-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
If you just changed the oil, make sure the seal from the old filter didn't stay stuck to the engine, it happens, and if it did it'll leak like crazy.