Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-01-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
My bro found a 99 murray fluid board out by someones dumpster. I adopted it and my son wants it for his own. Anyone have old favorite boards? Do you still ride it? What do you like about it the new board does not have? The graphic seems cool on this board. Made in the good ol usa. And the shape I think is still made today as the motive if I am not mistaken. Share your pics stories and likes and dislikes about the old and the new.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-01-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I had a 135 liquid force search. Grabbed on an edge like a champ but could also take off the fins and do some awesome surface tricks ha. It was real poppy and I boosted higher on this than some newer boards. Love how inexpensive things used to be, but new shapes make it so much easier to land huge tricks!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-01-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
I've on my 2nd 05 Murray.

When I busted my 1st one, I searched the Internet and bought 2 ~used (not new, but not used up) ones as replacement.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-01-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Hmmm a 99 Fluid?

That is a good board still for sure, even in 2010.

It's a year or two into what eventually became Hyperlite's Belmont shape. The first few like that were heavy (as I tended to find most Hyperlites of that period), but the honeycomb versions sure weren't. My best friend still rides his 99/00 Fluid honeycomb even though we can kind of have whatever we want. That board is wide and poppy and has been copied a lot. It's probably one of the most important/best shapes ever and its effects are still felt today. It was definitely worth the dumpster dive you guys did.

But in my opinion, the board that holds up the best in terms of general shape, pop, rocker and weight, is the original Liquid Force Squirt - hands down. I can go back to that anytime. In fact, for the last quarter of last season, it was my main ride. I had given everything else away - including my Watson promos. I would have loved an extra couple inches on the tip & tail, but I'm a Liquid Force die-hard and dealt with it even if just for the novelty.

The drawback for all of the "old" boards is the relatively narrow stance options people have become accustomed to. I don't ride with my stance out as wide as possible, so I find the Squirt just fine at those 1997 outermost inserts.

I'm on an 05 Liquid Force Substance for what may be forever. I enjoy testing newer options, but inevitably return to the Substance. It fits like a glove, and I can't think of what I'd change to make it better. Newer doesn't always mean better.

Good find.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-01-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
The Belmont became the Motive. Then the Belmont tag was put on a new design.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-01-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
my all-time favorite board was the bad ass motor head 135. i wish they still made it, but in a 140.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-01-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
The Old Wake Tech Byerly, the Baby Blue one! Man that board was so awesome, great rockerline, simple base design. Loved that thing.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-01-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
It's been so long since I rode them so I don't know if I would feel the same way about boards as I do now, but the 2001 Liquid Force Helix 139 and the 2002 Hyperlite Byerly 142
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-01-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
The ultimate big mans board. Sitll ahve mine hanging in the shed. Fun to ride....
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-04-2010, 1:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
Hmmm a 99 Fluid?

That is a good board still for sure, even in 2010.

It's a year or two into what eventually became Hyperlite's Belmont shape. The first few like that were heavy (as I tended to find most Hyperlites of that period), but the honeycomb versions sure weren't. My best friend still rides his 99/00 Fluid honeycomb even though we can kind of have whatever we want. That board is wide and poppy and has been copied a lot. It's probably one of the most important/best shapes ever and its effects are still felt today. It was definitely worth the dumpster dive you guys did.

But in my opinion, the board that holds up the best in terms of general shape, pop, rocker and weight, is the original Liquid Force Squirt - hands down. I can go back to that anytime. In fact, for the last quarter of last season, it was my main ride. I had given everything else away - including my Watson promos. I would have loved an extra couple inches on the tip & tail, but I'm a Liquid Force die-hard and dealt with it even if just for the novelty.

The drawback for all of the "old" boards is the relatively narrow stance options people have become accustomed to. I don't ride with my stance out as wide as possible, so I find the Squirt just fine at those 1997 outermost inserts.

I'm on an 05 Liquid Force Substance for what may be forever. I enjoy testing newer options, but inevitably return to the Substance. It fits like a glove, and I can't think of what I'd change to make it better. Newer doesn't always mean better.

Good find.

Substance is a good board but wow there are definitely some better options along that style these days. Im sure you must have tried the PS3 and S4? Im sure if you enjoy the substance you would love the S4. I dont ride stiff boards anymore but that one was my all time favorite shape before I started riding flex. Cuts hards, still breaks free in neutral, pops big and lands soft. My biggest beef with the substance it lands like a ton of bricks.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-04-2010, 5:26 AM Reply   
My two favorite boards of all time....Hyperlite Byerly 132 from 2001 & 2003.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-04-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
My 00' Belmont was the stuff. i loved that board.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       11-04-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
98' 138 Nelson Pro
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-04-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
The old trips
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-04-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
I still have my 1997 double up nelson board. The one with the double up sign on it. I landed my first spin on that thing. Dont really take it out ever
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       11-04-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Is that deck in good shape? The alien or the 20K leagues graphic? I'd trade some new CWB gear for it if you are interested. caseyj@ridecwb.com
Old     (BIZZWSR)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-04-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
I know of a perfectly good 1997 Nelson Pro Alien.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-05-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
2001 premier. They carried that shape to the era the. To the flame I think? Still a kickass board