Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-01-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
I was taking a work related trip down I-39 in WI and something caught my eye neer Hancock, WI that I had to go investigate. This is what I found.
Upload
Upload
Upload

And this is the back yard...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I'm not sure what the story is on this place. It looks like it hasn't had water in it for a year or two. Some of the rails are in rough shape too. If anyone knows the scoop on this place, fill me in, i'm kinda curious. I always wanted to biuld a slider park like this.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-01-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
DOod where did you find that, what city is it in??? I have heard rumors of a jib park in MN an of one in WI. I have never seen one tho- How much is it???? I want in on it! How long ago did you find that? do you have a MLS number???
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-01-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Some more pics...

These first two I am sitting on one of the rails.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-01-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
There was a thread about this before and I think they said a part of that dry lake was not included in the sale. Do a search and you will find it. Some guys had the same question about buying it together. I think the lake also had a problem holding water also.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-01-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
Andy, I found it this morning. It is about 1 mile North of Hancock WI right next to the interstate. I am gonna look for the listing online and if I can't find it I am calling tomorrow to find out how much they want. Do you know where the one is in MN? Let's get a bunch of peeps together and buy it...I'm all for it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-01-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
I just Called the Realty Company, going to go look at it this week.

The MLS # is 9006030
Old     (brad63)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-01-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
man that is sweet
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
i drive past it everytime i drive to the lake... it used to be fully functioning about 5 or 6 years ago but they went under. Its been dry ever since. i know some freinds of mine have rode the rails there when it was open. ive stopped just to look around and it could potentially be an awesome place once again. it just needs some love. i would love to see this place open back up... too bad its in the middle of nowhere.. hancock has a total population of about 500.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-01-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
This is where it's at. Andy, what day are you going to look at it? I'll be in the area till Tues or Wed, I would love to check it out again.
Upload
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-01-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
http://www.whitemarshrealtyonline.com/listings.php?l=R2240&type=R
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-01-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
I just got the low down, those guys used to come into The House Board Shop I guess, we are going to either got look at it on Wed, or Sat next week. Man $199,000 is not to bad at all!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-01-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Do a search on "Grants Phat Pond" And you will find several threads on it. In one of the threads it says it sits on three different pieces of property and one of them has the house for $199k.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-01-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/380872.html

link to the phat pond thread
Old    kc700            04-01-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
I say we all pool in together and start the wake world house....i got like twenty bucks on it....
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-01-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
man... I've been looking for a house for a couple of months now... too bad there's nothing like that around here in Canada...
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
If you guys are serious about the place, I would recommend having an irrigation shop come out and look at those pumps to make sure they work. You may also want to do a draw-down test on the well to make sure there is sufficient water below. This might cost a few dollars, but the place won't do you much good if the pumps don't work or there is no water to pump. Maybe you could get the seller to include this in the sale. (I know about this because my dad has a farm with 20 of these same pumps that he uses for irrigation).
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
one weird problem with that lake was the run off from the surrounding fields. I think there was fertilizer or something because that lake had the green stuff growing on the bottom...I don't remember what it was exactly anymore, but that was the explanation I received from grant (the dude who ran it).
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
The green stuff was a probably a result of phosphorus getting in to the lake and it most likely came from fertilizer run off. If you are not planning on having fish in there you could treat the condition if it bothered you. I am familiar with the soils in that area and it is very sandy. The person that build the pond must have put a clay liner in or the water would soak in in a few days.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-01-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Yeah, we used to ride there. I knew a couple guys that "worked" at the Phat Pond too. I did some work there, building some rails and working on that ski ramp. That place definitely needs some work.

I am betting those rails will need to be replaced. Plus, that place looks like it needs to be dug out again.

There was a black liner on the bottom of the pond.

(Message edited by Wiscxstar on April 01, 2007)
Old     (nocoast)      Join Date: May 2005       04-01-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
NO PHAT POND!!! i used to ride there all the time during the summer of '02 (i think). loved that place!! tyler smith (now the retail manager at midwest mastercraft) built all the rails in that park with some help from our crew. we used to go down and camp and ride and film every weekend that summer. grant was rad..never charged us a dime. we always just forked out whatever cash we could. great memories from that place!
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-01-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
that is awesome! Its really sad that, that amazing piece of land just sat there for that long. Does anyone have pictures of it when it was full?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-01-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
that's so cool! Kinda eerie looking though. like a slider graveyard or something
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-01-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
what does the sign under the realty sign in the first picture say?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-01-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
I've seen that place on a few road trips up north, looks sick, but I agree, would need some work. Would cable be a possiblility there? Just a thought
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-01-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
Tim, Those signs were all over the place. I didn't have a dictionary with so I had no idea what they meant.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-01-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
it would be cool to have a phat pond that is for sure
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
I think that lake is a little too small for a cable. The turns in the corner were super tight (you always had to stay directly behind the boat), and the lake itself is a little bit on the shorter side.

Kevin, yes! Whenever I drive past I keep thinking, "elephant graveyard." Whatever that means, of course...:-)

Ashley, there was an article in WBM a few years ago with the phat pond, so there are some pics out there. Unfortunately, i don't recall what issue that story was in.
Old     (washeduprider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
Sup ya'll, I'm the creator of that boneyard. I lived there and cared for her back in its hay day. If you have any questions hit me up. I have a ton of pics from back when we were riding there I'll have to dig up and post.
Old    byron            04-04-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
Hey... recently I found something like that in a river near home. It has 4 rails and they look as if they haven't been used in a long time. anyway I'm not sure if they let boats into that river, don't know yet. who would i talk to about getting in there? the mayor?
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-04-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Byron,

Just drop the boat in and see if you get kicked out!!
Old     (speedy600)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-06-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Ya, the pumps are good, I know who they bought them from....just try to keep water in the lake, it wasn't lined correctly and always goes dry. There is another private lake about 10 miles from that one, but is small. I also have a private about 15 miles from there. If you want to know more about it let me know
Old    byron            04-09-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
if anyone is around to kick me out :-) the rails look old and have wooden posts, how would you strengthen those? look like they would break. doubt it though