Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
I was going threw the "Ya Heard Me" thread and I saw this.http://www.wakevideo.com/wsv/images/Products/Details/LatchL.jpg
I was like WTF some jack mo copied my LCD mirror. So in a bitter search, I looked up his link and checked out his website http://www.wakevideo.com/wsv/showVisor.cfm
and I see he totally gives me prop's for copying the mirror and even go's as far as putting a link to sound illusion’s and then even says if you want the "bling version"(the orignal carbon fiber LCD mirrior) of what he is selling check us out. I think that pretty stand up. I think most people would copy your stuff and then just ignore/deny that fact that they copied your Idea. Remember "Vanilla Ice" saying his song was completely different that the original Queen song he copied, we all knew it wasn’t and just laughed at him for the clown pants and hair but more for the fact that he was in denial.
I’m big on the slogan "Innovate Not Imitate" I would rather someone raise the bar by taking your idea and making it better. I think that’s what innovation is all about and what makes everything in our sport/world better. I think he has some what innovated buy making it affordable and avaibale to the masses, something my product is not.
I think someone honor’s you in a weird way by copying your idea. It makes it worth it when they give you a "Thank you" or they tip their hat @ you for the idea. I respect that and apperciate that. Do you think the big 3 would ever give you credit for anything they saw you come up with? HELL NO.
I don’t patten my idea's or product's and infact I even show people how to do it for them self's. Maybe I’m stupid but I would rather spend my time coming out with something new than spend my time trying to protect an older design. Yes I am stupid. But I certainly respect and understand people that protect their products with paten’s ect. IMO I don’t think that there is that much money to be made in this business, and that most people do it because they love the sport and more importantly for the people they meet along the way. So IMO if you are cut throat and do business the "Vanilla Ice" way then IMO your going to have no friend's and I guess then all your out for is the money and like I said I don’t think that’s allot so then all your left with is????? Well you get the point. I have met so many cool people threw this sport and I think the greatest pay back is to feel like you have had a positive impact on the sport and more importantly the people with in it. So Cheer's to all.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
g call me at home

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Grant remember you have a gift. Not all of us out here have as good of ideas as you. Sometimes copying something is the best we can do.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-30-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
now if we could just find you a better pair of shoes. ;)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Hey Grant. Great post and props to the wakevids guys for giving credit where credit is due.

Always remember Grant that you have a ton of respect from people on these boards for your creativity, craftsmanship, and innovations. You sharing your ideas, techniques, and lessons learned along the way have helped numerous folks upgrade their boats themselves and kept them on the water with your tech tips and alternator upgrade information.

Personally, i probably owe you a case of beer or two for your responses to my questions both here and on PN.

I agree with your assessment on the amount of coin to be made through innovative ideas for boat upgrades. Really though, I still don't understand why CC or one of the other companies have not contacted you to do a bit of consulting for them on how to Bling out their boats.

Whatever the case, keep on keeping on and hopefully one day i will get to see that sick boat of yours, probably hear it first. Thanks Again for all your good work and your generosity in sharing it with the community.
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Grant,

Hey, that's me that copied your LCD mirror. I thought they were awesome and wanted to make my own last spring. Emailed you a few times to talk about it, but never heard back. I later realized you were probably pretty busy setting up your shop. While I was working on mine, I figured a way to make a less "bling", more affordable version so went ahead with it. I kept meaning to bring a unit by and introduce myself to talk with you about it, but was embarrassed to show you a sloppy product and kept delaying while I upgraded.

Everyone builds on the products that came before, but the true innovators such as yourself (Grant) should get the credit and respect, so I put the notice on my site, and will to do whatever I can to support SoundIllusionaudio.com, as I believe your work really benefits the wakeboarding community.

I became an active reader of the posts on WW over the last 18 months, and I have been profoundly influenced by the awesome work Grant, and the community here on WW does. Reading about the projects helped convince me to not cut corners and upgrade the quality of my work. Although I'll never be able to do stuff like Grant, I do take inspiration from it, and because of that have found I am much happier doing work that I am proud of.

Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
And I agree with Grant bout the money. I've bounced back and forth between the computer world and watersports. There is a lot more money to be had in computers, but life isn't just about the money...
Old     (emay)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-30-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Grant, I noticed that a while back while I was exchanging pricing with Bryan on a video set up. (Bryan I'll be making the purchase- hopefully soon), I assumed you were on board with him because of the props he gave on the site. It's funny now, hearing you prop him back being that you had no clue. It's also cool of you to step up and be okay with what Bryan's done.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Thanks to all that have enjoyed the work we have shared.
Bryan: Yes sorry if I didn’t get back with you I don’t remember your e-mail specifically. I get lots of e-mail’s and yes sometimes I don’t feel like answering each and every single one especially when I have to explain a compacted process that would take forever. That’s why I post them on my personal web site. Check it out if you cant figure out how to do it from there I guess you shouldn’t be doing it LOL I look at it this way Its way more information than I ever got. I searched and searched and tried and tried. All you have to do is look at the pictures and figure it out. I wished my website existed when I was first getting started. So when people are asking questions that IMO already have been asked or information that already exists or I have to hold someone’s hand all the way threw a how to build a Carbon Fiber do hicky they go straight to the delete bin. LOL I like helping people that know how to help them self's. Our phone at sound illusions rings all day long with how do I do this? Or that? I wish we could some how turn talking on the phone into a money making business then We would be rich $$$$$LOL and I could drive a Chrome Lambo like 50 cent LOL. So sorry if its hit or miss on the return e-mail's.

SO I challenge each and everyone of you don’t just sit back, Get out in your garage "Make something" That doesn’t exist and we might want or need. You are a MAN its your job to create. Ask yourself this. Is your toolbox a phone book and a credit card???? If this is yes I say "UN Acceptable" IMO making something that you like and can use is the coolest thing. And if in the process other people like and want what you have come up with well that’s even better. This sport need's new products get out there and make some. Innovate.

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
I have always appreciated Grant's contribution to this board. You get points for innovation, but you also get points for execution. Alot of people come up with good ideas, but few are able to apply them, especially with the fit and finish that you do. I have also enjoyed watching some of the great stereo builds that are coming out of Sound Illusions. Your right, it is fun to head out to the garage and try to make something out of raw materials.