Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    ice3944            03-20-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
So we are getting our new 2005 Mobius LSV and need a tow vehicle. I was thinking the Ridgeline being that it is rated at 5000lbs towing capacity. Dry weight of the boat is 3100lbs and trailer of about 700-800 so total is around 4000lbs dry. If we weight that up with our gear, will this be enough or should we go larger?

My other thought was a Chevy 1500 extended cab with an 8 ft bed and the 5.3 liter motor. I know this would be better for towing, but I like the Ridgeline for all the other driving I will be doing. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-20-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Chevy!!!!!!

I have that truck, and my boat is about the same. The trailer should be more than 700, but that's still ok. You are forgetting 250# for gas. You (Let's say 175#) your passengers (3 X 150#), and you are way over the 5000# limit of a V6. My truck pulls my boat down the freeway, and up smaller hills while never missing a beat. I would hate to have a smaller truck. I used to have a Frontier, and it was very insufficient. Then I had an F150, with the 4.6L. Again, too small. It really worked, going over hills.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
Chevy imo !!!
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
I have a Chevy 1500 extended cab with the 5.3 And an outback ls. Tows the boat great, drive it around all the time too, no problems. If you go away for a weekend (camping trip) you have to take all your gear and would be really pushing the limites of the ridgeline. Just my two cents
Old     (tx_cook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-20-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have always thought of the Honda as a luxury truck. In my opinion the bed sides are too high and the features are more fancy. We currently have a GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3L and its does well but we are getting a new Titan next week or so rated at over 9000 pounds for towing. The GMC holds its own. We have used it for towing all the way from Houston, TX to Minneapolis, MN; through hills and flats alike. Through the hills it would down shift every time to make it but it did make it. Depending on you area and trip intentions you should be fine with the 5.3. Depending on the price, you might consider the upgraded engine package. We cant wait to get our Titan though.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
NISSAN TITAN!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
Titan was not a choice. Chevy or Ridgeline
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-20-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
Nissan Titan or the new Toyota Tundra Baaaaaaaad to the bone just go to the website and check it OUT
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
Come on those are girly trucks. Titan and Tundra If you're going to spend that much buy a used Duramax,Powerstroke or a Cummins. I get 19-20 mpg lifted "6 with 35's towing the boat at 70 mph.
Old    ice3944            03-20-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
I have looked into the Nissan and Toyota, but just felt like buying American for once...who knows, maybe not.

This is a second car for me so really its going be more about a good vehicle for an even better price. Probably will lease as I get bored quickly...
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
i have a mobius XLV weight about 4800lbs with the trailer and i tow it with my 05 nissan froniter (6300lb towing capacity) or my business partners 05 tundra (6500 towing capacity) both truck tow like a champ! for a 4000lb boat i would go with the ridgeline, i think they are pretty sweet looking and i'm not now nor have ever been a fan of american made cars
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
That American motor in boat works well. You seem to be a fan of Mobius with a chevy motor.I do agree the Froniter and Ridgeline are QUTE!!!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-20-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
Your weight estimate sounds low. A dual axel trailer is more like 1,100 to 1,300. Add equipment weight, then add fuel weight. Also note that weight in your tow vehicle should be subtracted from the tow weight.

Go with a regular truck.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
Just got my silverado with a 5.3, 6 inch lift with 33's. Tows the MC like a champ!
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       03-20-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
Why not look at an Avalanche. Similar to your Ridgeline yet with more towing capacity. i think its 7000lbs. I love the Avalanche, its a very nice ride, much like a tahoe or suburban compared to a truck. If you want a nice ride like the ridgeline and aren't worrying about towing more than your 4000+ pound boat and trailer, I would say at least check out the Avalanche. New style for the 07 too.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
He is right go diesel if you plan to tow your boat a lot...I have a chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L. It will tow anything you can toss its way but it also only gets 11mpg driving daily. I have heard good things about the Titan and its gas mileage. I think it has like a 5.8 or something huge and it will do fine. The new chevy 5.3’s are supposed to have better gas mileage as well and would be fine to tow anything as long as you are not planning on towing it across country. If you tow a ton go w/ a diesel.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Some of you guys on here make me laugh. Calling full size 1/2 ton pickups girly trucks! Sure, I think towing a decent sized wakeboard boat with a Ridgeline would be crazy, but the Tundra, and especially the Titan are very good trucks, especially for someone needing a daily driver as well. It just amazes me how many of you macho guys think you need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a 20-22 foot boat anywhere from 10 to 40 times a year, then end up having to mess with the thing as a daily driver the rest of the year. If you can't tow a Mobius with a Titan or Tundra, first you need to review your driving habits and skills, and second you need to look at what you're trying to compensate for with that big diesel!

Now that I'm off the rant, I'd always been an American truck guy, but my dad just bought an '06 Titan Crew Cab and that thing can tow. It was just as capable if not more so than my '04 F150 was. I'd definately look into it, definately more power than the Chevy 5.3. I would go ahead and wait for either the '07 Avalanche, buy an '07 Tahoe, or wait a year for the new trucks if I was going the Chevy route.

(Message edited by kstateskier on March 20, 2006)
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-20-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
Between those two, go with the chevy
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-20-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
I have a Tahoe and a Silverado, the Tahoe rides much better when towing. The Silverado has rear leaf springs and tends to bounce around. The Avalanche has rear coils so it should tow like the Tahoe, possibly your best alternative (like Sean mentioned above). The 5.3 is a good all around motor definately adequate for towing my 5000lb boat/trailer but no dragster. The 6.0 is stronger but you will pay for it at the pump. Check wheelbase of the Ridgeline, followed one home tonight seemed a bit too short to be a good tow vehicle? Possibly an optical illusion. I know it was not one of your choices but if I were buying a new truck I would give the Titan a look before the Ridgeline. What is the powerplant in the Ridgeline?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-21-2006, 3:34 AM Reply   
The Titan kills it. I pulled and X-80 with mine, no problems. And, when you don't have a boat behind you it drives like a car...a fast car.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       03-21-2006, 3:49 AM Reply   
AMEN, kstateskier!! While heavy duty diesels are most certainly better suited for those who tow all the time, some of us use trucks for regular drivers too. Regardless how awesome tow rigs they are, I'm not interested in starting up a stinking, clattering Peterbuilt every morning and only being able to fill up at truck stops. Five point turns trying to get into a parking spot is also a tad tedious.

OK, rant aside, I admit the Titan looks impressive. How has your dad's held up thus far from a quality perspective? I'm actually considering looking at Tundras.

Getting this thread back on track, my guess is a Ridgeline would be pretty much maxed at towing a boat, but if you only have a very short stint to the ramp and don't tow a ton it could work. It'd be a helluva rig for other duties. Much more towing I'd probably look more closely at the Chevy.

(Message edited by superairdawg on March 21, 2006)
Old    ice3944            03-21-2006, 4:07 AM Reply   
Anyone leasing a Titan, know what an estimate of payments would be...
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-21-2006, 5:57 AM Reply   
I have a 20V and it is 3600lbs.
We have a public scale down the street, and on a trip last summer I stop at it.
3600boat 1350 trailer I figured 600 everything else. Should have been around 5600lbs.
It came in at 6725. (I have why to much @@@@ in my boat)

Better to be safe then sorry, I think you will go well above the 5k mark.

One more thing.

The Honda will have a harder time stopping the trailer then the Chevy if the trailer brakes go out.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-21-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
I have a 4.7 ltr Tundra and only tow a 2001. It strugles a bit up some hills.

My opinion go with a bigger motor. And make sure your tow package comes with a tranny cooler.

If your into the Japanese thing the new Tundra can have a bigger motor. I think 5.3 ltr is an option.

Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-21-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
What is the hp and torque of the 5.3l vs hp and torque of the 3.5l? would this not be a better measure of how well it will tow?
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-21-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
(What is the hp and torque of the 5.3l vs hp and torque of the 3.5l? would this not be a better measure of how well it will tow?)

No
There are a lot more factors then just POWER.
Suspension, Drive train (gearing of rear end and trany), Braking, and cooling capabilities.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-21-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
David writes:
>>>There are a lot more factors then just POWER.
Suspension, Drive train (gearing of rear end and trany), Braking, and cooling capabilities.<<<

We tow with a Sequoia (non VVT 4.7L) and it's definitely working to get up the grades (Indio & Grapevine fer sure). Dynos at like 200 RWHP at 5500 or something. NOT a tow engine. Even had to add Coil-Rite bags to the back end. However, comma, man the brakes, the tranny, steering, lack of sway, it's a really good tow vehicle.

You'll laugh at me when I'm in the slow lane going up hills you don't notice in your HD, but my eight seatbelts, ten speakers, ten cupholders, six airbags, & all the rest are just awesome then and during the rest of the year it's hauling us to Cub Scouts and Pony and well, you know - daily driver stuff. All it costs us is dropping into second gear when going up the steep hills.

Compare that to my pal's Durango towing a 20' Hurricane deckboat. Despite the oodles of 360 power, he was scared to drive it because of its lack of size and mass. He felt the boat push him all over. Other people I know don't have that problem with that truck, but still, there's something BIG to say about towing manners.

So when you add 'stability' to Dave's list, power slides down a little farther in importance. (Don't get me wrong, I hate to see an F-150 with a Sea Ray pass me, but I'd take that Sequoia over an Expedition or Tahoe any day.) Now...if GM would put the Duramax in their SUVs, I may have something else to pine over.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-21-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
As to the original question, if only given those 2 options, I would go with the Chevy. I think you will be disappointed if you throw down your hard earned money on the Ridgeline and expect more than it can deliver. I would take a look at other vehicles in the same relative price range. I own a Titan and am glad to see the positve remarks regarding its towing abilities. Our boat will be here in a few weeks and am looking forward to seeing how the Titan works out. I do know that it has more torque than any other vehicle in its class. Its wicked fast even stock. Very comfortable ride and some well thought out amenities. It is a thirsty truck but I did ave over 19 mpg on a trip from Reno, thru Sac, to the bay area, thru Emeryville and back to Auburn and had enough gas to make it home it I tried.

IMO if you are going to spend $30+ on a tow vehicle, do yourself a favor and look around, test drive, ask questions, and get something you want not something you may be setteling for.

BTW you can get on any number of bulletin boards for any vehicle and get real world feedback on whatever you are looking at. This may help with any decision you have.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
The lease payments would totally depend on amount down, model of Titan, and lease period length. I think my dad was going to be able to get a lease payment in the mid 300s on an SE Titan with no down over 2 years. He ended up buying it. He got an '06 SE Crew Cab with a sticker of $36k for under $30.

Joe H, he has only had the truck a week, so don't have much to report on quality issues, and he is the only person I know that has one. When I was going to buy, I looked hard at the Titan, but couldn't get over the looks, and ended up with an F150. He did the opposite.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-21-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I think I'm going to stay out of this one!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-21-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
IMO, just saw the new Tundra at the auto show. BBBBBBoring. Really cheapo on the inside in my opinion.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-21-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
Nick
You can tow with just about any vehicle. I have seen a chrysler mini van towing a 21ft ski boat. I don't have to compensate for anything. I have a beautiful wife and 5yr old daughter 2 trucks,boat,house all paid for except house.You said a boat goes out 10-40 a year. So why pay all that money for a nice boat or does the boat compensate for lack of riding skils.
Joe
A Duramax and powerstokes are quiet. Fuel can be bought at any regular gas station. My wife drives this truck every day. She has no problems parking. Five point turns maybe you should listen to Nick and review you're driving skills.

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-21-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
off topic, but you could save about $10K-13K off sticker on a new 2006 loaded (not 07) denali xl right now. they're blowing them out to make room for the new 07's. they come standard with a vortec 6000 (6 litre), are AWD and have the heavy duty tow package and trani (tow rating of 7900lbs). super comfy and a nice ride. just thought i'd throw that out there. not sure how much the ridgeline's cost, but i bet they're up there.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-21-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
heh, and then you wouldn't have to help everybody move.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-21-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
Chevrolet without a doubt....I had a 98 Z71 Ext Cab and it towed my 90 MC PS190 like a dream. When I went to upgrade, the only thing i could get in a crew cab(for a decent price) was a 4wd 2500HD Crew Cab. It can tow almost anything, but it does drink gas. One thing I have always done when buying a tow-type vehicle is buy it by the pound. Take how much it weighs and divide it by its cost. It gives you a good price per pound comparison when all else is comprable.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Titan Titan Titan!!! I know it wasn't one of the choices, but I am throwing my vote in for the Titan. I just bought one a month ago and absolutely LOVE it! I havne't had the opportunity to hitch the baby up to it yet, but from driving this truck you can tell it has Balls!

Also, the Ridgeline hasn't gotten alot of good feedback on towing power. Most say it's way overrated in that department. Honda's are great vehicles, but not big tow vehicles. I'd say pass on the Ridgeline and go a different route. And as stated many many times before, check out the Titan. You will be pleasantly suprised in it! I know I was and can't wait to hit the road with it and my boat this summer!

Nick- Remember, I might be making a run out your way this summer!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-22-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
Aaron, I didn't say you couldn't tow with anything, but almost any 20-22' wakeboard is well within a 1/2 ton pickups tow rating. They are not in the tow rating of a minivan, look it up if you need to. I just think a lot of trucks are overkill. If you like day to day driving with a diesel and want to pay the $5k + premium go for it. I would rather keep the $5k and enjoy the day to day driving of a 1/2 ton. If you can't admit that a 3/4 ton diesel is overkill for a 20' boat you are kidding yourself. Does it tow better, yes, is it the best reasonable option for a 20' boat and a daily driver, no!

I can't comment on your boat comment, as I get in about 150+ water days a year, so I need the best boat possible. My riding skills suck because I only spend about 5 of those days on a wakeboard and the others 3 event skiing, but I would say that those that spend $80k on a X-Star and there best trick is a wake to wake are doing overkill on their boat, just IMO. I also think you buy what you can afford and what you want, it is your money. I just think it is rediculous that you push what you think others need on them, when that is not the best option. If you want a diesel and can afford it, that's great, but telling someone that is looking in the 1/2 ton market that they need a diesel is crazy!!

Kraig, I'm looking forward to you getting out this way. You'll love towing with the Titan!

(Message edited by kstateskier on March 22, 2006)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
i have a supra 24 ssv that i pull with a 2004 f-150 lariat trust me i would and could pull, a honda and your boat up the ramp, i boat in lake cumberland and we have some very steep ramps i put my 33 donzi in with it also the honda titan or chevy can not do that, trust me chevy fans i have a denali as well it sucks compared to f-150
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
but all the above said really the honda isn't even qute, go with chevy if ford not in play, man maybe a gm employee will someday do business with you in return
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-22-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-22-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
I have been towing with a Denali for the last few yrs, and living near Tahoe, the hills really beat up the drivetrain. The 4 speed shift ratios were so wide that it was either lugging or screaming up hills.

I decided to do the '07 because of the 403hp eng. and 6 spd tranny.

Screw the kids college fund...

Upload
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Gotta get a plug in for the Titan...Yup, the new Tundra looks really nice, but if you don't want to go the domestic route, I think the Titan is a great tow rig. We pulled a lot with ours last summer, hardly could tell the boat was there. Not to take a jab at Ford, but here is a true story, unbiased.
My brother and law and I both have (had, since my 247 will be here this weekend) the same boat, toyota Epic S22/SX. He usually pulls with his Pilot, which I think is a bit of a stretch for the Pilot, but it gets the job done. I tow with my '02 Sequioa. Last summer his Pilot was in the shop for some body work, and he insisted on having it replaced with a vehicle he could tow with, as we were going to Powell from SLC that weekend. He got an F-250 SD as a rental. Again, I am keeping this objective. Going up the canyon to Price, I had to wait for him at the top for several minutes. He said he had the F250 full out (being a rental, I think we all would "push" it a little) and couldn't keep up. I am not saying the sequioa is the ultimate tow vehicle, but it sure does get the job done. You have to get comfortable hearing the engine run wild at 4500 rpm, but it doesn't bother it. Never had it heat up even a little. I will trade the Sequioa in next summer for an '08, which will hopefully be the new model, engine, etc... For reliability, comfort, finish, low maint., go foreign. I am pretty hesitant to tow the 247 with the Sequioa, but the Titan can pinch hit when needed.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-22-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
Sorry but a f-250 will run off and hide from a Sequioa. MUST have ben driver error unless it was gas and not diesel. The gas f-250 is a real turd it can't get out of it's own way.
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
i pull a boat weighing in around 4000 lbs (including trailer)and im pulling with a 1998 dodge dakota 4x4 with only the 3.9v6 and i just got back from looking at trucks. it does ok but like some other people said hills are hell and im always scared that i won't stop. you probably need a fullsize like me so go with chevy
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
sequioa < f-250
ask the question, why is ford the best selling truck......
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
i got to see the new international at the chicago auto show they are so sweet
love the escalade as well
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
I'm not saying the Sequioa is a better truck than the F250, my good friend has a sweet F250, I just found it strange that the gasoline version was such a drop off in power from the Power Stroke. I honestly think there will be a time when Ford can't claim that title anymore. And GMC is trying to just stay afloat.
Old    ice3944            03-22-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
I went to look at the Ford F-150 and the Explorer V8. Leaning toward an '02 Eddie Bauer, it is like new with 50k miles and a great price. Just want to make sure its not the same tranny as the V6 because I have known wayyy to many people who have had to replace it with minimal miles.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
You could put 4 boats behind my 03 powerstroke and it would still out climb a Titan , Tundra and Sequioa .
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
AMEN JTW
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
JTW- I agree, that powerstroke is awesome! I haven't driven the Cummins or the Duramax, but I am sure they have great torque as well. That wasn't my point. The gasoline engines don't compare with the Nissan or Toyota. That is my point.
Old    stillstandin            03-22-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
I tow with a 04 F150 5.4 liter..it sucks. I also have a 03 Suburban with the 5.3..and it tows great. I have heard good things about the titan, but Im one of those people that cant get over the looks of it( tho, I do like the looks of the 08 tundra that is coming out.) My F150 will be replaced with a F250, or Chevy 2500 (diesel) in the future. I take long trips, and Im one of those people that done want to even feel the boat behind me.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
In regards to the Honda Ridgeline, there is one thing that I don't think that I saw mentioned anywhere in this posting- it is a front wheel drive vehicle. The rear wheels only engage when in 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't give it serious consideration to tow anything heavier than a lighter boat. A smaller boat, short distances, not in the summer heat of Ariz or the southwest- may be options, but otherwise I wouldn't seriously consider it.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
craig I have a 04 f-150 and 04 denali the ford is a much better tow vehicle for me, i am going to georgia for mastercraft tour and i will be taking a 33 donzi (my supra will not arrive until the week after)the denali would be all over the road but one thing that hurts the denali and may not be true on the other gm's is the all wheel drive its made for house wives getting groceries that is why i gave it to my wife and bought the ford
Old    shoeish            03-23-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Take a serious look at the frontier. They have a serious nut, towing up to 6500lbs, and are really, really nice trucks.

Your GM/Chevy will rattle so bad in 40,000 miles. My 2003 does. (gm interiors suck, can't say anything about new tahoe yet, but that includes the c6 vette)

Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
I have 85K on my 01 Silverado, and there is not a squeek anywhere. There was 60K on my F150, and it rattled like a damn whoopty. I used to have a 99 Frontier. It was ok. There were some problems that Nissan knew about the engine, that were all messed up. However, there is a newer, bigger motor in them now. Maybe the problems have been addressed as well.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
shoeish you are full of shiiiiiii-
if yours rattles its only because the only one you could afford is a rebuilt wreck
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
shoeish go back to the fast and furious forum
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Sounds like it mite be the loose nut behind the wheel!!!!
Old    stillstandin            03-23-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
denny..i dont know what to tell ya. But my F150 doesnt tow worth a crap. Its a gutless pig. The suburban has the same gear ratio..similar horsepower etc..and is a rocket campared to the truck. If I take a long trip with the boat, I would not even consider the F150. I plan on only having it another six months or so. Maybe the wheel base is different with your yukon..is it the XL..I just recomended the suburban to a guy at work for a tow vehicle.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
craig it is the xl
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-23-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Ok, I have got to chime in here. As for the F-150 and it being a dog for towing. I am not a Ford fan! But I will say that the new F-150 is a nice truck. It is built pretty well. But Ford killed it with 1. A four speed tranny. 2. They don't tune the engine well with the tranny. They didn't match the two up very well. The 5.4 engine isn't what Ford says it is. It really is a dog! Ford could have done a better job at tuning the tranny to work WITH the engine to have better shift points. But that's tough as well when it has a four speed. The 5.4 could pull better, but no where close to a Titan. It's tried and true guys, there just isn't any arguing with it. Now, as for the Titan, it is an amazing truck with alot of torque. And most of it at under 2500 rpm's. Alot of people are realizing that the Endurance V8 is underrated as well as it's capabilities in towing. Nissan is notorious in underrating their engines. They've done it in the Maxima for some time now. Alot of aftermarket companies are realizing that there is alot more HP to be realized out of the Endurance with minimal upgrades and/or programming. And of course this applies to the towing capabilities. The Titan is a very capable truck and anyone who discounts the Titan without looking at it and driving it is just down right "Uninformed."

Denny- I believe that the Titan CAN handle your 33' Donzi no problem. Why do you say it can't? Have you driven or towed with a Titan? Have you even looked at them? Maybe you should experience one before making a claim like that. I don't say that to be mean, I say that with all due respect. You really should take a look at the Titan. I know a few people who tow their 35' Cuddy's weighing in at about 9100 lbs. Would I do it? No, I'd probably get a larger truck for that big of a boat. But you said that the Titan couldn't do it. I believe it can do it alot better than the F-150. Not to say the F-150 can't, I just think the Titan can outpull the F-150 any day!

JTW- Comparing a diesel engine to a gasoline one?!? Come on man, get on the same page as what others are saying. And yes, a diesel WILL outpull a gas engine. We all agree on that! However, wait till Nissan and Toyota come out with diesel engines in their trucks. Toyota is doing research on it now and Nissan is in development already for the Titan or another platform. It's all kept so Hush Hush. Hopefully 2008, but we'll see. As for gas engine to gas engine: The Nissan Endurance V8 is leading it hands down! The new Tundra will probably take the cake when it comes out. Nissan, I've heard is working on a redesign on the Titan for 2008. Most likely it will include improvments to compete with Toyota. I don't know about the new Chevy's, but I'm sure they will be competing as well. The HP race is back on in the USA!!! Even with gas prices inching back up. But unfortunately, I think the Big 3 are going to continue to lose market share as the Japanese automakers set their sights on the truck industry here in America.

(Message edited by kraig on March 23, 2006)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
kraig
the titan can pull the donzi without a doubt, i never said that, the guy i wakeboard everyday with has one it is strong but i think it is a little plain inside, his loaded next to my lariat doesn't compare in interior style the f-150 in my opinion does pull a little better but absolutely no worse
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-23-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
Quote by Denny: "i boat in lake cumberland and we have some very steep ramps i put my 33 donzi in with it also the honda titan or chevy can not do that"

Then you say: "the titan can pull the donzi without a doubt, i never said that"

Huh?!? Make up your mind man!!
You didn't remark on the interiors earlier. As for the interiors, that is all personal preference. And I do like the F-150's interior as well. The Titan has some good points about it's interior, but by no means is that it's strong point. We were talking about performance earlier and THAT is what you commented on. Glad to hear you say that it is a strong truck.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
i would not try to put it in at my ramp with my buddys truck, but could it pull it to georgia on the interstate, yes , there is a difference between towing and launching esp on steep ramps
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
i would say the same about my denali from personal experience, it does not pull up the ramp like my ford does, but almost all the tourist from ohio which come to our lake use suburbans but they use ramps that are not as steep my ramp is not at a marina
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-23-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Hey Denny, are you saying that the Titan doesn't have the power to pull your Donzi up a steep ramp? But your F-150 can because it has so much more power?!? Or is it because the Titan won't be able to get traction on the ramp? Ok, keep in mind that the F-150 weighs 1000 lbs more than the Titan, so if anyone has more power on a steep incline it will be the Titan. Also, check out which truck has more torque and HP. The Titan runs away in this category. The Ford 5.4 just doesn't have the output Ford says it does. There is no contest between the F-150 and the Titan in raw power. To think otherwise is again, to be "Uninformed." Please, don't think I'm knocking the F-150, it's a very nice truck. But performance wise, it doesn't touch the Titan. The F-150 has it's strong points over the Titan, but performance and power just isn't one of them.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
don't worry my buddy has a complex about his titan as well you are not the only one
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
hopefully you are not in as bad as shape as him he is ex-mormon gone wild, just divorced and stuck with the high payment on his titan, 25 yrs old w/ three kids, but he loves to board so we have that in common
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-23-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
The reason the Denali will not tow as well as a suburban is because of the rear suspensions. The denali has coal springs that are softer for a better ride, while the suburban has leaf springs that are a little stiffer. So the suburban will tow better, but the denali rides better. They are both adequate for towing a wake boat. I think what people are forgetting when they talk about the nissan is that it is a 5.8 liter. The chevy is a 5.3 and ford a 5.4. Now if you get the 6.0 in the silverado it evens things out.( I dont no if ford has an upgraded engine for its 1/2 tons.) The competition between the f 250 and the sequoya is a little off. Becuase it was a rental it probably has the smallest engine possible. Not a engine an average person will put in there truck. Also towing is a lot more about rear end gears then engine poewer. If you put 4.88 gears in a truck you could tow up a steep grade all day. I think all the fullsize trucks out there are great and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-23-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Patrick- Good post. The Titan has a 5.6 litre.

Denny- A complex? No. Satisfied? Definitely! I'm sorry about your friends divorce, but what that has to do with the Titan outperforming the F-150 I have no idea. But glad you shared his story with us none the less.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-23-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
I'm going to jump in again. I've now pulled the same boat with both my '04 F150 Lariat and my dad's '06 Titan SE. IMO, there is not a lot of difference power wise. The Titan is quicker off the line, but I think the F150 is a better passer at interstate speeds. I haven't spent that much time in the Titan, but that is my first impression. I would overall give a little power advantage to the Nissan, especially without a boat, as it is quick around town, but styling definately goes to the Ford. The insides don't even compare. When shopping for mine, I came down to 2 trucks, the Lariat I bought and a Titan LE w/Navigation. The Titan was loaded, but to me, the plastic looked cheap and I hated the controls and the guages. The white Lariat guages are awesome. I noticed that this interior styling problem seems to go across the board for the Nissan lineup, as that was the main reason a bought my Acura TSX over an Infinity G35 last fall as the Infinity had a cheaper looking interior than my '98 Civic I drove in college!
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
just a joke kraig you are the one with the complex
things not going good a the dealership
Old     (air_bordan)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-24-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
As long as you get to the water who really cares. Sure, you can get to the lake an hour quicker at a cost of $10,000-$20,000 more whoopee! I used to tow my boat with a Chevy S-10 Blazer and I didn't break any land speed records but I got there. Some people on this site need a reality check and realize that everybody doesn't have $120K for their boat/truck package. In the 70's and 80's station wagons were considered tow vehicles. Now everybody thinks they need a huge F-950 truck with a diesel motor the size of a small house so they can tow their boat at 90 and brag to their buddies. I can't quite understand the competition/loyalty/branding that goes on in this discussion board. Isn't it supposed to be about enjoying the SPORT of wakeboarding instead of trying to justify/promote the incredible amount of money you spent on a truck/boat so you can use it here and there.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
I think all the domestic foreign stuff is so funny. Nowadays the foreign cars are made in the U.S. and the domestics are made in Mexico and Canada. The Nissan Titan is made entirely in the U.S. The only negatives about the titan that i've heard is that it really sucks gas. Also how comfortable is the back seat in the extended cab version?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
On another note. My parents Pull their 05 star with on 02 suburban that has Autoride suspension. I think the Auto ride makes a huge difference. After we hook up the boat you can hear the compressor turn on and the suburban levels itself out. It's pretty cool. Just something to think about if your looking at GM.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-24-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
autoride rocks
Old    crollg            03-24-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
My 0.2. Get the chevy if it is still between honda and chevy. The honda has a V-6 and only like 246 hp. If you do not mind a really small bed, inadequate driveline (tranny, driveline axles) and getting passed by everything going up hill get the Honda. I sat in a Ridgeline and note that the visibility out the back was poor and the mirrors were not up to par as well. The chevy has a much stronger engine (290 - 310 hp depending on which 5.3 you get), bigger and more accesible bed and stronger tranny, axles etc. I am one of those big American truck guys and my buddies 6.0l gas chevy 2500 smokes my F-250 V-10 towing uphill and I get a total ration of S#$t from him. I assume the 5.3 is totally adequate for what you need.

I do note the following comments, I have a 99 F-250 with the 275 hp V-10 and it is way underpowered for the gas mileage I get (11 empty and 8 towing) and the power. Note that in 2000 the V-10 went to 310 hp and the 05 v-10 has 355 hp. As for the 5.4 ford it now has 300 hp compared to 305 for the Titan (pretty close). I would also buy a Titan built in the good ol USA over a Ford or Chevy build in Mexico. Support American workers not American corporations making cars in Mexico or taiwan, nuff said on that.

I will note that diesel is the bomb if you are going to keep one for 200,000 miles, because that is about how far you have to drive one to offset the higher cost of the engine (+$4500) and oil changes (my old 7.3 ford diesel used 16 quarts of oil and I think diesels need to be changed every 3000 miles if you tow).
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2006, 5:49 AM Reply   
I have three family members that work for Ford in the good old usa, I am in health care and as of today i have never had one pt with good old nissan insurance, but ford, gm, and chrystler I see all the time, I do support american companies because they do support many more americans, ford has over 200,000 employees not inc dealerships in this country this does not include its land rover, jaguar, mazda or other factories, yes nissan may have a factory here with a couple thousand at best employees but remember it is an assembly plant only and not one asian company has even one retired employee that they pay benefits for
Old    crollg            03-25-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
As a good ol American, I do own a Ford F-250 built in the USA by an American company which is 100% supporting American. I also own an 03 Jeep Wrangler (built in USA) a 98 Ford Escort (built in Mexico) and an 06 Ford Mustang (built in USA). While not 100%, I try and support both American workers and Companies.

However, I find it hard to believe that american employees working for Japaneese companies like Nissan or Toyota here in the US do not get ANY retirement benefits or even any health coverage. I call BS on this statement but feel free to point me in the direction of a credible article or website and I might change my mind.

Peace out