Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
I am replacing the impeller in my X-Star and I have never done it before. I found the instructions in the owners manual, but I can't find the size. I went to the store and the boat guy was telling me I needed this $60 tool. Do I need this or can you do it with out it? Does anyone know the size of the impeller? Any help would be appriciated.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
By the way I am an IDIOT and spelled the topic wrong. But you know what I mean, Impeller!!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
The entire impeller kit is about $36 from your MC dealer or special order from NAPA. Your special tool is a phillips screwdriver. The gasket and lube are in the kit. It takes about 10 minutes the first time.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-26-2006, 3:57 AM Reply   
You can change the impeller without any special tools. The hardest part is removing the old impeller. On a V-drive it is difficult to get access and pry out. I use 2 short screw drivers on opposite sides of the housing.
Some people say they grap the impeller with a pair of pliers and pull. I didn't have room for that in my v-drive.

Installing the new one can also be challenging the first time. Lube it up with some soap, rotate into the housing to bend the vanes so it will slide in.

Most all marine stores (West, Boaters World) and local marinas will stock the impeller. Used on many inboards in yachts and houseboats.

There was a good how to article and pictures postes some time ago. You might do a search on the site and find it.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-26-2006, 4:58 AM Reply   
I've tried, but I can't find it. Can anyone else find that article George is talking about?

It might be good to bring it out at this time of year because we'll all be doing our impellers soon.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-26-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
It went in no prolbem, Thanks for the help.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-26-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
Here's one from my site. It is for a Johnson pump, used on my Toyota, same impeller as Supra/Moomba and MC, probably others.

http://www.epicmarine.com/impeller.html