Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    samcdog            08-10-2004, 4:26 AM Reply   
Does anyone know of a place to wakeboard in Maui, Hawaii? I am taking a week vacation there next week and was wondering if their is anywhere to catch a ride? I plan on trying some surfing, but would like to wakeboard too.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-10-2004, 5:07 AM Reply   
Only wakeboarding in Hawaii is on Oahu and Kauai, no Maui. Enjoy the surfing!
Old    mountainlake            08-10-2004, 6:24 AM Reply   
go surfing men!!!!!!
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
Closest thing to wakeboarding on the Island....

Kiteboarding!
Lots of companies there that offer equipment and lessons. There is a beach right by the airport that is primarily used by the kiteboarders.
Old    rweldo            08-10-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
i will also be going to hawaii next week...i will be staying on oahu. where is a good place to get a pull will i am down there. i also want to give kiteboarding a try any good places to take a lession?
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
I just got back from Maui and saw some people wakeboarding in the ocean near Maalea harbor. I also saw a wakeboat at the Surf shop near the airport on Ives Dairy Road. Try there for a hook up, if you want to board in Saltwater!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
just be prepared for harder landings.
Old    samcdog            08-10-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Tim

Haven't heard from you in a LONG time. How are things going? Are you still in school? How's the leg?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-10-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
Hey Rich,
The only place on Oahu to pay for lessons is at Koko Marina BUT they aren't allowed to weight the boat down and they can't run a straight pattern due to the waters rules in that marina. So it's not the best place to ride on the island.

Will you be bringing your own gear? It would be best if you did. Contact my brother Reid (former owner of RNR surf & ski) at his email address - hwpa@verizon.net, if for some reason he doesn't get back to you, email my private account and I'll put you in touch with some friends who ride at Keehi Lagoon on Oahu.

Etiquette is drop some cash for boat gas, bring your own food/drink or chip in extra cash for sharing with others, and help clean the boat after done riding because the entire boat needs to be soaped washed after because of the salt. If you can't stay to help clean up, it's customary to drop even a little more cash to make up for it.

Hope you have a great trip to Hawaii.
Old    rweldo            08-11-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
hey ryan
thanks for the info...ill keep your bros email just incase i decided to ride. i was hopeing to possibly get out once but the friends im going with dont wakeboard. we have a lot planned right now so i will see how things go and if i get a free day ill shoot him an email. thanks again.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-11-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
No problem Rich, have a great vacation!

Aloha
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-11-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
yo, i e-mailed you with an update
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
There's always tow-in wakeboarding, if you hire a few jetski drivers and find some good surf! It's been done before by wakeboarders in Maui.
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-11-2004, 11:23 PM Reply   
When in Maui last month, we saw a boat being towed with a tower on it toward Lahaina/Kaanapali. What me and my wife thought the side decal said was Malibu, actually said "Maui Built", but looked like a VLX.

Someone wakeboards over there..
Old    howie            08-12-2004, 12:42 AM Reply   
I was in maui last year you have to get in with maui built to board over there I ask the lady who works in keiha maui built she told me of some locals who go out. I never had the chance to follow up and go out.
Old    samcdog            08-12-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info.