Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    mbsteve            05-08-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
i have a fosgate punch 250 amp, running mono into one 12" jbl sub. the amp is putting out around 400 watts or so.the sub is in a box up in a closed bow. the system rocks but i have another jbl sub new and in the box in my garage and was wondering what would sound better, one sub with alot of power, or two with a little less power?
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-08-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
what kind of 12" JL are they? w3's, w6, w6v2, w7???? I think that will make a big diff. The better sub will sound better by itself with one amp. A couple w3's will be fine with 400watts. I ran two 15 w3's last year on a 500/1 JL amp and i thumped! This year I am running two 10 w6v2, and without atleast 350watts per speakers, they don't sound good.

B
Old    mbsteve            05-08-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
the subs are JBL L-C S1250W im running one now, but thinking of getting a twin box and adding the other one. ive heard this is a pretty good amp, but they are prone to getting hot, and mine does. dont know if being mono has any thing to do with it
Old    deltahoosier            05-08-2003, 3:06 PM Reply   
The punch series amps run hot and are prone to overheating. The Power series is the way to go. You can add a fan to the punch series amp and that helped me. One thing to look at; where is your gain set on your amp? Most likely you are not even using all of the amp. Also, the amp is generally designed for 4 ohm mono load. You may get away with 2 ohm mono, but, you may decrease life out of the amp or overheat it more.
Old    mbsteve            05-08-2003, 3:20 PM Reply   
the gain is up about3/4 what kind of fan did you install? you think 1 sub or two?
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2003, 3:45 PM Reply   
Are these dual voice coil subs? What is the recommended rms power for them? If they aren't too pwr hungry you could wire them for a 2 ohm load and get about 200 watts to each. Thats not much for most 12's but there are rare cases of subs that do it. Sorry not to familar w/ jbl subs. My guess without more info is your better off with just the one sub or your gonna need more pwr for the pair.
Old    mbsteve            05-08-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
not sure if they are dual voice coil.power is 120 watts rms 480 watts peak.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2003, 5:14 PM Reply   
Steve,
If you can give me the ohm rating of the voice coil and whether its dual or single, I can tell you how to wire it and I think you can get away with that amp on 2 and it sounding decent
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2003, 5:15 PM Reply   
BTW its easy to tell if its dual, it will have 2 sets of connection points on the sub. One set and its a single.
Old    mbsteve            05-08-2003, 5:27 PM Reply   
i think its single, there is only two wires going from the wire connecters to the sub. they are 4 oahm
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
Well steve you can get a 4ohm load on the bridge channel of that amp which might not be enough or its a 1 ohm load which is probably too much for that amp. Honestly your stuck with one sub until you upgrade that amp or get another. At a 4 ohm load you probably won't get enough power to the subs to hit hard. Another trick you can do is take your one sub and put it in a ported box. You'll add a little more spl that way. JBL should beable to give you some specs on what the sizes should be.
Old    mbsteve            05-08-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
rob, thanks for your help. i just talked to a friend of mine who owns a stereo shop and he said the same thing. i bought the subs in a pair,and only put in one. the other one has just been sitting there for about a year, burning a hole in my pocket.i just thought i would do a little research on adding another. the system rocks right now,thats why i was kind of shy about changing anything. once again thanks for your advice! i think ill leave it as is.
steve D.