Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-08-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Hi all, I have been reading this board for a long time but this is my first post. I own a 2002 Supra Launch SSV and below is my question.

I have 4 alpine 6.5's inside the boat rated at 40 watts rms. I have a kenwood amp running those speakers rated at 40 watts rms. That is good. I just ordered a pair of boss double-ups (4 speakers total) for the tower and solobaric 10 for behind the kickplate. The 4 tower speakers are rated at 175 watts rms each. The solobaric is rated at 600 watts rms. I would like to match an amp's rms output with the rms ratings for these 5 speakers. So, I know I need an amp with approximately 1300 watts rms.

My question: Will I need one amp or two? Can anyone suggest a specific amp that would supply my needed rms watts and how to run it (i.e. bridge two channels for the sub). Will I need a separate battery. How do I hook up a second battery to the boats alternator? Any other considerations I need?

I know i was longwinded but I would really appreciate some help. I know that amp selection will make or break this system. I really care about clarity and punch from the bass response. I know that it will be loud enough if I supply the rms watts the speakers are rated for.

Thanks all,
Ryan
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-17-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Well, I'm not gonna say any specific amps, but if it was me, I would run 2 amps for those. 1 for the tower, 1 for the sub. (I guess 3 if you count the 1 you already have) That way you can set each amp up for what you want. Sub amp, you will want the lower freq. amplified. Tower amp, you will want the mids/highs amplified. And you should probably look at getting a second battery. You'll need to do that with an isolator, so you can charge both batteries, then not worry about draining your start battery while the engine is off.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-17-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
This zapco would be a good amp for your sub. I don't know that much about the arc though.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/463547.html?1181934968
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
Thanks guys... I have already purchased a sycho sounds 1200 watts rms (4 ohm) or 2400 watts rms (2 ohm). It is a 4 channel amp with seperate crossovers for each set of channels.

I will try it out. The only problem I think I may have is that the tower speakers are 4 ohm and the solobaric is 2 ohm. I don't know if the amp can handle a different ohm rating on each channel.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-18-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
sycho sounds. Are you serious? So much for taking any advice. My advice...return the amp. That is flea market junk...right along with Boss. Carry a fir extingushoer on baord...I would nto doubt if that amp catches fire when you try and run it @ 2ohm pushing that sub and tower speakers. Do some more research.

Use the kicker amp for that sub...I think they make a mono 650 RMS amp.

Get a good quality 2 channel ro 4 channel to push the tower. kicekr is good for the money, cadence makes soem decent amps, I'm having decent luck with my massive audio amps.