Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-10-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
I have always been a fan of Kicker Amps and wanted to know if anyone is using one to power their 485s. Should I get the Kicker ZX850.4 or is that too much power? The other Amp I am looking at is the Kicker ZX650.4.

I guess my main concern is that I don't want to be short on power and at the same time I don't want to over do it...
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-10-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
I am using the 650.4 on my pair of 485's. It works great. My only complaint is that after running for a while the amp can get hot and shut off. I added spacers between the amp and the amp panel and added a cheap stinger amp fan and no problems now.
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-10-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
Jon, thanks for the feedback. Do you run yours pretty hard? I think I will only have mine up loud while I am riding. My interior speakers should do fine the rest of the time...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-10-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
I'd go with the ZX850.2 for a pair of 485's, amp will run a lot cooler then a 4 chnl bridged.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-10-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
yes, my wetsounds are booming constantly. It will get hot after about an hour of going strong.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-10-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I am running an 850.4 for a pair of NVS Deviants. I would imagine the power requirements would be the same. This is the kicker that Duane recommended. My advice would be to ask the wetsounds guys which to get.

FYI-the 06 models are pretty cheap.
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-10-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
TigeMike, good idea, I sent Tim White a PM after I found his name on here. I would still like to hear from anyone else that might be running one of these amps...
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-10-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
I run the 650.4 on a pair of 485s and they scream but I also had problems with the amp overheating....just waiting for my fans to arrive so i can install them.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Make sure you mount your amps vertically! When kicker eliminated the internal fans going from the KX series to the ZX series, it crippled these amps. They definately need to be mounted vertically and have fans if you can get them.

Get the 850.2 though, as it will allow you a bit of head room. Either one will rip your head off.

My 485's arrived the other day and we were playing around with them. I had a spare H/U laying around and my friend had a spare crappy amp. We hooked it up, and only getting 100W's, the single 485 was still ungodly loud.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
"Make sure you mount your amps vertically! When kicker eliminated the internal fans going from the KX series to the ZX series, it crippled these amps. They definately need to be mounted vertically and have fans if you can get them."

I dont understand, how does the orientation of the amp have anything to do with cooling?

The best thing, IMO, to aide in cooling is to NOT mount the amps flush against the mounting wall, especially if it's carpeted.
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-13-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Where do you guys get your amp fans and spacers from? Do you get them off the net or from a local stereo store?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-13-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I cut my own spacers from a 3/4" composite material (HDPE). I got a stinger fan actually off ebay. It works great.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-13-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
TigeMike now understands why to mount your amps vertically
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-13-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
^^^ I sure do, thanks for the explanation, the reasoning makes sense.

"I cut my own spacers from a 3/4" composite material (HDPE). "

Do a similar thing with encapsulated 1x2 covered in matching carpet. Since their Tiges, whats a little more wood since there all full of it any way
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-13-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Thanks, I will post some pix when I get them installed.