Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
Yeah, another one of those threads :-)

Thanks for the help
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-11-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
Auburn . . . As It Was Then

"Gold! Gold! Eureka! I found it!" It was in the Auburn Ravine, Rich Ravine and Baltimore Ravine waterways where these exuberant cries first echoed. The Chana, Woods and Stevens parties were all part of the early exploring groups in search of gold in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. May 16, 1848, was the date most remembered by Claude Chana--when he discovered gold in Auburn Ravine. Chana's lucky find was the first gold discovery in Placer County.

The area quickly developed into a robust mining and supply camp, and it became officially known as Auburn in 1849. In 1850, the population had grown to 1,500, and Auburn became the seat of Placer County in 1851. First on horseback and mule, then by wagon and stagecoach, the settlers traversed along Nevada, Sacramento, Auburn Folsom and Foresthill trails. The trails would later become commercial and residential streets, and they are still in use today. The Central Railroad came to Auburn in 1865 following a heated contest with its competitors. Auburn was first incorporated in 1860 and again in 1888. The stately Placer County Courthouse was constructed in 1898 at the site of the 1853 Court House Building structure.

As It Is Now

Auburn is bursting with energy, optimism and spirit as in the "Days of '49." Emphasizing the endurance rides and runs of eons past, today the spirited Tevis Cup ride and the UltraMarathon run combine the best of the original trails winding through numerous mining camps and ending near the Auburn Ravine--where it all began back in the spring of 1848.

The City of Auburn has 12,500 residents within the city limits and an estimated 44,000 population in the greater Auburn area. Auburn owns and operates the Auburn Municipal Airport. The city encourages industrial growth through its Airport Industrial Park and light industry in other parts of the city. Visitors can enjoy one-of-a-kind shopping and dining experiences in the commercial business districts of Downtown, Old Town, Auburn Town Center, and Highway 49. The combined business districts have 49 great restaurants to satisfy diverse appetites, specialty clothing and gift stores, antique stores, art galleries, book stores, museums, and area wineries and wine tasting. Visitors from out of town can stay at the Auburn Holiday Inn, with 96 rooms, conference rooms, nearby restaurants and located an easy walking distance to all business districts. Auburn also has a new multiplex movie theater. And speaking of movies . . . Auburn has been the filming locale for such movies as "Overboard," "Phenomenon," "Rocky and Bullwinkle," "Breakdown," and "XXX."

The City Services

The Auburn City Hall business offices are housed in the building once known as Auburn Grammar School. The 1915 structure was designed by the noted San Francisco architect William H. Weeks and was designated a Point of Historic Interest by the Placer County Historical Society in 1991. The city operates its own Auburn Transit bus system and, in cooperation with Placer County, offers bus transfers between the two systems. The city's new Auburn Station has been completed and provides travel access for the Amtrak Capitol Corridor and local bus transportation. The historic Placer County Courthouse houses the superior courts and a museum, and it is conveniently located between Downtown and Old Town business districts. A number of interesting museums are located for easy access from Downtown and Old Town. Historical walking tours are available in Old Town. The Sutter Auburn Faith Community Hospital is a few short miles from town. The Auburn Public Library is conveniently located, as well as churches to meet the needs of many different faiths. The Downtown district is home to the very active Boys and Girls Club and Teen Center, as well as the state-owned and operated Gold Country Fairgrounds. And the new Auburn Skate Park is within walking distance from Downtown. Auburn Recreation District sponsors numerous organized sports programs for all ages, which are offered at the recreation center and several recreational parks in the immediate area.

The Annual Events - We're the Busiest Little Town in the West

These are just a few of the annual events that may be of interest to you when planning your next visit to Auburn in 2005. For more specific information on each event, please click on the link. If you would like to have your event listed on the master calendar, contact the Auburn Chamber of Commerce.

----------------
HA! Auburn is cool...between Sacto. and Tahoe. Not too far from a lot of lakes.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-11-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
Auburn is a nice small town about 30 mins up I-80 from Sacramento. What are looking to find out?
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, ok, let me clarify...I know where it is and have driven by a hundred times. How are the schools, what are the people that live there like, whats the social makeup, hick town or not? you know stuff!
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-13-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have lived I Auburn all my life. Went to the schools and now my kids are going to the same schools. Its a great place to live. not a hick town at all. We boat in the summer and ride dirt bikes and ski/board in the winter. All with in 30 min to an hour away depending on what your doing. there are some great lake close by. Its easy to get off work and be at a lake with in 20 min for evening boarding.

Its a growing area. City has a pop of 13000 but the outlying area, still concidered Auburn, is a lot bigger. lots of housing opertunities and new schools in the north Auburn area.

Its downfall is good eats and entertainment. theres a few good restaurants, Bootleggers, monky cat and a few others that I would concider good eating. you will need to head west for night time entertainment. Pistol Petes brew and q is about all you have local.

Hope that helps
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Aburn is full of Hillbillys with 4X4's. Ooooo Wait Jan your a Hillbilly that biulds 4X4's you will be a GOD in aburn pack your bag's. LOL
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Yeah Grant, I need to be closer to my people :-) My bags are half packed, Potential job in Grass Valley that is making me think about the move. I don't really care for GV/Nevada City, but think Auburn may have potential if I can take the 20mile drive to work.

Brad,

Thanks a bunch for your comments, exactly what I was hoping for. I hear everything from redneck hillbilly's to "oh there's just a bunch of methheads up there" I don't think I can handle the hippiness of GV, but I am trying to decide if Auburn is what I am looking for. I have three kids and the school system is obviously important, as well as a safe place to grow up. It's funny, if I did'nt have kids this would be so easy. I have been looking at the schools scores for so long my head is spinning.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-13-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
Its 10 minutes from the HYPOXIC shack.

Danny Turner
HYPOXIC FILMS
hypoxicfilms.com
1-877-HYPOXIC
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-14-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
As said in Pirate do some research on the tremiculite (sp?) problem as it is very serious and at some point it may become a super fund site. I will have Susie explain more about the problems in the area.

Other than that, being close to Rollins Lake, Folsom Lake, the Delta not far away, the best trail in CA just 40 minutes away, property half the cost of the bay area for double the size, it might just have something going for it.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Peter, like you my other hobbies are pulling me 20mins from Fordyce and a bit further to the 'con. Pirate is unfortunately a disaster thanks to Wenzel.