Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
Couldnt figure out how to ressurect the last thread.......

But for those who read my first post, I have been considering the move to the reno/tahoe area.

We have decided to live in Truckee, and I am getting a pass to boreal for park, alpine for terrain and park, and possibly sugar bowl as well.

I still didnt get much info on whether people wakeboard much in that area, and what the season and temps are like.

More info? thanks.

Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
We ride a lot from May till October. Definitely colder temps. Mid summer you're looking at the upper 60s. Early and late season we usually start making trips to lower elevations.

Shoot me an email sometime when you're actually up in the area. I have a Boreal night pass and a Sugarbowl pass. Truckee is a great place and you can get the best of both worlds with snowboarding and wakeboarding.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
did you mean upper 60's for water temps?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
yeah mid summer water temp at Boca and Stampede is in the upper 60s. Air temps usually 75-80 degrees.

You have been here before, right?

(Message edited by sperbet on November 09, 2005)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-09-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
25 minutes to the Rubicon trail :-)

The riding on Lake Tahoe is best in the early am and goes to heck past about 10:00am. A wetstuit will be in order for most of the riding season. There are lakes fairly close by that are better for wakeboarding.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
I dont wear wetsuits, upper 60's works for me.

Scott I have been to reno when I used to live in the bay area, but that was in days when i wasnt into either snow or wake sports.

Might be coming out next week though.....to firm up some stuff.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
sounds like boca is where ill be riding, i pretty much have a lock on a place in truckee and a place to keep the boat next season if im still there.....move in on jan1!! so stoked.

If anyone in the area wants a deal on some hardwood floors refinished or installed im bringing my business there, and I found out the going rate is almost double what i get here, anyone want a deal?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-09-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
Plenty of places to board. But you do have to be somewhat used to colder water. Stamepede, Boca, Lake Lahotan, Boulards bar, and Pyramid lake, to name a few. The Run Down: Boca great for midweek riding after work, no one there and close. Pretty much the same with Stampede, Stamepede seems to be better on weekends than Boca, just watch out for the Fishermen. Lake Lahotan Dirty but warmmer, might be a little far for you. Pyramid lake, fun but you have to flush your engine and clean the boat immediately when you get home. Last but not least Bullards Bar, somewhat of a drive, less from Truckee but totally worth it. Warm, Clean and plenty of room to play and no fees. (It's up near Nevada City, off HWY49) Anyway more info then you probably wanted but there it is. Don't have a pass for Boreal but I do at MT Rose, but wouldn't mind doing some boarding at Boreal at night sometime.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
boreals night pass is 99 bucks, and if you are into to park it is rumored to be the best park in california this year.....mammoths park manager came over to run the place, they got a new superpipe cutter and are claiming 100 jibs and a reopening of the place as an all mountain terrain park....im going to alpine for my mountain riding, how is mt rose?

thanks for the info btw, im pretty sure boca is where I am riding at.
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-10-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
no more colo mike? guess i wont see ya in colorado then. Maybe ill have to show up in cali. Ive always wanted to ride there. Have fun dude. I like the snow coupons vid of you. Peace out

danny
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
danny, i got too much of a hookup in cali from the boardshop in lake geneva

Im renting a place from a dude named Kyle Needham who took 6th in the 97 xgames, is buds with sterbenz, and I guess JT Holmes might be renting a room there too....

and sadly, I just got off the phone from refunding my colorado pass. Your welcome out in cali anytime!! Bring Davey with ya.
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-10-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
Something you should know about but not to worry to much. The TRPA has a local law/rule that established a NO WAKE ZONE / 5 MPH within 600 feet of shore. They even say they have a boat to enforce it. check it out

www.boattahoe.com/trparegs.htm

NO, its not a law. They would have to go after you in civil court. There boat has no authority to pull you over. I have a friend that is a patrol deputy on the lake and he said he would never pull someone over for this.

Info only. I'm one the lake a couple of times a year and have never seen them.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
is that all about shore erosion or something? Thats what retaining walls are for imo....

seriously though I have no position to comment on that because I have never even seen the lakes I may be riding, on a side note, how far away is the infamous delta?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-10-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
Mt Rose is pretty good but this is only going to be my second year boarding. They have a pretty good run of jumps mid season and a small terrain park with some rails but thats about it. For the price and location I can't beat it. I can be on the hill in 20 minutes.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-11-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
true that, we are going to live in truckee so alpine/boreal/northstar/sugarbowl are all within 10 miles.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-11-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
yeah...boca and stampede is probably where you will end up going the most...you have to be careful in boca...there are many shallow points..acutally 2 years ago you couldnt even launch..it was bad..

i was on stampede on june 6th and we were the only wake boat on the water...every one else were fishermen who dont make any kind of wake at all...and the water was glass all day we got there at 9 and left at 4...not a ripple...the best day i have ever seen there!!