Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
When I throw my TS OA spins it doesn't bank out quite as much as I would like.... Just wondering what others do to start the spin...

When I throw mine it is a shorter, really progressive edge, pop, pull like a normal on axis sping, then just make sure I lift my front knee to take me off.... When I try to throw my shoulders to cork it out more I just do a weird ole' scarecrow.... how do you others do them really corked

It could just be the photo angle or something of mine, or maybe how my body is laid out, but I feel like it isn't quite right.

Here is how mine look
Upload

Here is Andy Nitzel (sorry I stole your profile pic, but its exactly what I want)
Upload

Any help?
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-26-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Use a trip flip edge instead of a progressive edge.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
I don't spin OA but it does seem a trip flip edge would help initiate the rotation up and back as desired.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-26-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Drop that back back shoulder.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
My initial TS OA FS spins were a lot like a handle passed crow. (AKA Taco-ed) You can cheat the trick with a much smaller tripping motion than a crow. Ultimately you want to get back to initiating more of the axis with the rope since this will create good habits when it comes time for 7's, 9's etc. I agree with Heavy, drop that back shoulder when you come into the wake (right shoulder assuming your regular stance'ed), give the rope a good hard tug and look for the handle immediately off the wake.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-26-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Ya M-Dizzle Nailed this one, you can kinda cheat them a bit. I do my other spins totally different than I do for a TS OA 540 or 7. I dont really know why that trick is getting such hate now, I love them, super fun usally a crowd pleaser and you can Blast them WAY into the flats. I have no problem grabbing them or taking them to 7, but as of lately people are hating on them a bit.

Here is what I do to get the board up my face. I appoarch the wake just like I would for a Crow mobe, focusing on keeping the line in tight to my front hip (this keeps your arm in close, look at your passing hand and then look at mine in the photos, you are straight armed and mine are bent, this makes the grab easier, the handle pass easier, and you can actually take them to 7 like this.) As I go up the wake I start pushing the handle down towards my lead/front knee. I focus on riding all the way up the wake and almost think about jumping over the handle. All these things keep the rope in close. By pulling the handle in low then leaving the wake and looking up and over my rear shoulder I can get them super inverted. After I break the top of the wake I try and keep the handle in down by my butt, this really helps you get your feet up there. Once you get this down its super fun to do them to regular, kinda of rewind effect like on a elephant, or take them to 7 by going a bit bigger and finishing the first part of the trick really quick.

If you have anr more Q's post them up I will check back to make sure your getting them around. Super fun to take to seven that last 180 is slow and late!

Hear are some more shots of how I do them..

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-26-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
The First one might be a HS OA 5 I dont remember. hahahahah
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I can hopefully get out thurs and just work on my approach and dropping the back shoulder

I can do 5's as is fine but I feel taking it to a 7 will be a pain the way I am doing it

Thanks again
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
Watch Murray's Detention. It really explains the loading, pulling, and dipping your rear shoulder toward the boat. He says to initiate almost like you are going to dive across the wake. Good luck with the trick. I am hoping to dial this one in the next time I go out as well!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-28-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Having any luck with these????
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Nick, FWIW I am working on taking the trick to Seven as well and had to take a step back to the TS FS 3 to drill into me the landing discipline. Also for the seven I have been told (by Andy) to come into it as a seven and NOT a 5 + 1 otherwise you will be seeing stars from the back edge crash.

One other thing I have been working on is not taco'ing it so much so it is more controlled for the 7.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
I haven't gotten out since I asked, hopefully this weekend I can get a set or two in...

When you guys say drop the back shoulder do you mean:
Drop it in front of my body, towards my chest/wake
or
Drop it down towards my hip/tail of the board