Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-25-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
In the video from the Randall Harris & Scott Byerly video posted on AllianceWake.com, I noticed Randall was riding a different style boot, and went back and looked again... sure enough, 09 Ronix Cells!
Upload
Old     (dhv142)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-26-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
ya dude i posted another thread about this, it kinda surprised me, cuz i know randall has his own pro model boot and board, so i dont know whats up
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-26-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm sure there's a legit reason behind it, but I just found that interesting... plus I just bought the 09's a few weeks ago and they're awesome. ha
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-26-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Randall has been testing bindings all summer and that is how we came up with his new pro model bindings for 2010. However we are waiting on production of his bindings. I assure you as soon as they hit the warehouse they will be on Randalls board. He was super excited about the samples we got as well as the rest of the team. Look for the bindings to be on all of our team riders boards early December. Thanks for the close eye and keep your eyes peeled for the new Vandall Binding, Co. pro Bindings and Co. Bindings.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-26-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Bizz,

I've definitely seen the Proto shots of his new bindings, and they definitely look great. I know the 2010 product line for CO. is on it's way yet, that just caught me by surprise, because I figured he'd have a proto on there already, but I'm also not sure what the exact dates were when this video was shot.

That being said, with the testing of multiple bindings, and with the stiffness of the Cells, are the Vandall series of boots a stiffer boot?
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-26-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Yes the Vandall is softer then the Cell binding. The cell is a little stiff for Vandall's liking.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-26-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
awesome I love how u take the time to respond!

I wanted to ask, its unusual for a pro to go to a velcro system. And in particular Im surprised that Randall would chose to do so when traditionally velcro bindings never provide as snug and tight a fit as lace bindings.

My question is how is the new vandall binding an improvement over other velcro systems and does it address the limitations of them? They look awesome but like I said, just a bit concerned over how they perform. But if Randall is riding them that should be good enough for me!
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-26-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Randall hates laces. So he prefers to go with the velcrow straps. All of our new bindings have a new liner system specific to Company bindings that help the bindings wrap naturally around your foot. In trying them on myself I had no issues with getting them tight around my foot and I prefer to have my bindings super tight. The materials used in the upper are very pliable and wrap very naturally. The liners are heat moldable with removable j-bars for a custom fit. Add in the baseless binding frame and the Freedom Interface System and you have an amazing binding.

Insane comfort and unlimited stance options.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-26-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
will the bindings fit boards from other manufacturers?
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Mark, I'm rocking the Vantage bindings...I find I can get them tighter than most string bindings (that I've used anyways). Once they are strapped, there is no slipping like on the string clasps that always give a bit.
Looking forward to trying the Vandalls.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-26-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
All the Company bindings run on a 6" whole pattern and the Freedom Interface System will work the same on any manufactures board.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
I've noticed that the velcro on bindings lose the stick after awhile and simpley don't hold. I hope the Vandalls have some sort of super velcro
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Agreed Benjamin, Either that or they have easily replaceable straps that you can buy...rather than having to send the whole boot in for warranty.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-27-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Ever since the first high end velcro boots came out (vantage and Mellisa's) there have been suggestions and requests for replaceable straps. it seems it has yet to be done... it seems like it should be an easy enough thing to do?

***BUT a friend of mine had a good idea (has not actually done it yet) that it would be relatively easy to shave off the fuzzy/hairy part of the velcro and then sew on some new fuzz, granted you have the ability to do so. the nylon hook part of the two pieces of velcro does not break down as quickly as the fuzz/hair

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 27, 2009)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2009, 4:37 AM Reply   
That's a good idea Jeremy, but who wants to buy new bindings and then have to worry about modifying them...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
I am planning on putting D-rings on this last pair of vantages (so I can replace the straps) I have and making custom straps. I cannot (with a clear conscience) send in a fourth pair for warranty replacement. All four pairs lasted about a year combined. Lately I have been riding with Duct tape around the top strap to keep em tight until I find the time to mod them.

Honestly, I think the manufacturers are SERIOUSLY missing the mark with the durability of their bindings. Its starting to really frustrate me that I cannot make a single season with a pair of comfortable bindings. I am not concerned about them weighing an extra 10 ounces....make them TOUGH!!!
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-28-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
That is a great idea and I would love it, but then you would never buy another pair and they would have to cost $1000 for them to stay around.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
I am sure it costs companies some good $ to warranty entire boots multiple times for the case of 3 X 1 inch wide straps of velcro wearing out

much much less $ to send out new straps vs whole boots right?

maybe they can make some more dough with alternate colors and styles of straps for a custom look... and/or straps of various "stretch" for different fit as well. or maybe that is thinking too much. i guess having these options would cost as much $ as it makes $ ?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
That's exactly what I have been thinking Jeremy. I would actually like to make a binding company that makes just 1 binding with complete adjustment. Since I will never have the time, here are my thoughts:

Have three or 4 different sized baseplates(with footbeds glued to them of course). These will be akin to the old school plates where you can attach the hardware with bolts and nuts.

2 or three different underlays from thin and flexy to thick and stiff. Mix and match front and back.

2 or 3 overlays in plain white for custom coloring (with a posca pen or sharpie, etc.). These will have the D rings on both sides for velcro straps.

Several different length and colored straps.

Its a binding buffet! The only kicker is the different binding mounting systems these days. Nobody makes a base plate with mountable options anymore, they would need to be custom made.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       10-28-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
so if 2010 bindings are the issue, shouldnt he be able to come up with ANY Company boots.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
the durability of the velcro is not the binding companies fault. its freakin velcro. its going to wear down if you undo it a whole bunch. the hooks eventually tear the loops. i love the vantage bindings and i believe that the velcro straps let me get a way better fit than laces.
the straps should be able to be replaced, but not at the expense of the manufacturer. just like if you use up batteries in your remote, some products are consumables. or demand warranty and put everyone out of business because you dont want to buy something after you used it to its full potential
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
I am right with you Mitch, but a binding should make it through ATLEAST 1 season of riding without a need to be replaced. I am okay with buying a new set of binders every year.