Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
OK I just finished my first day of installing an Auto Ballast system. I have a blog if you are interested in seeing some of the pics and details that went into it. Not a very hard project just nerve racking drilling holes into your boat.

http://tige-ballast-install.blogspot.com/
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-19-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Looks good

Did the Tige not come with any ballast from the factory?
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-19-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
Looking good Coach

Great looking Tige
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-19-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
Matt- No it did not come with Factory Ballast. It is the running debate (really joke) that Tige's don't need ballast. A large number of guys at Tigeowners have all done their own systems now.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
In the past the factory ballast has been kind of a joke, as it was hard tanks and you lost all your space. Hence the reason most the guys choose to do their own ballast.

BUT that being said, Tige's ballast system this year is finally under floor, and looks promising.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-19-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Why the two types of hoses? One for supply/drain and one for venting?
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
Brenner. The Multiflex was not recommenced for drain under the water line so I used the flex PVC just to be safe.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I just updated the blog with the finished product! Did a lake test today and it was money. No leaks and the wake was huge!
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Getting ready to do the same on my boat. Did you use any kind of sealant / epoxy on the thru-hull water intaks below the water line?
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-23-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Neil-
YES!!!!! I used 3M 5200 Fast Cure in White on all of the though hulls. It is not necessary on the though hulls above the water line but figured I had enough to spare. I gooped a ton of it on the scoop on the outside and put a bead on the threads on the inside tightened the nut and then gooped a ton more around the whole assembly on the inside of the boat. I found the 3M 5200 at Home Depot in the paint depart for about $7. If you need to get a deal on Fly High bags and Jabsco pumps let me know and I will send you the number and e-mail of the guy who set me up with the base parts.
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Coach-
Thanks. I have the fly high sacks. The pumps, thru-hull, hose, and switches are comming soon. My boat (Centurion) is all-ready pre wired for the rear ballast on either side. They have one wire harrness for the boat so adding accessories is easy for the dealer to do on a boat on the lot.

Any tips on drilling holes through the hull?
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-23-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
Neil-

Pre drill the holes using a scrap piece of wood and make sure you have a tight fit with your hole, if not buy a smaller hole saw. Once you have your mark I put blue painters tape over the gel. Once the hole saw got close to the surface I reversed the drill until I was through the gel coat then put the drill back forward and finished my way though. Drill from the outside in and in reverse so you don't crack the gel.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-24-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
Is this photo before or after the ballast was full?

Upload
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Truth-
This is after the rear was about 3/4 full and the front was full. I found some sharp screws that I have to change out under the seat base so I couldn't fill the sacs up all of the way. I didn't get any very good photos of the wake. I am going to Lake San Antonio, CA for a week and will have some time to dial in the wake.

I think I will do some before and after shots which will be good for comparison purposes.