Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (stormcrow)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
For installing backer plates to reinforce the hull where the tower brackets attach, I was thinking of using Kitty Hair. Anyone do it this way? Any advice or words of wisdom for a first-timer? i've never used the stuff.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
That is fine to use. Are you also adding wood? That is how mine was done. Kitty Hair over wood.
Old    mendo247            05-13-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
might work if you ground the fiberglass and cleaned it real good before applying the kitty hair.. id much rather add a couple layes of glass and resin.. a really big washer or have someone make a backing plate out of metal for the mount to bolt through is the normal procedure...
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
I went to lowes and bought a piece of 2" wide 1/8" thick aluminum bar, and i cut it down to fit and stacked three plates on top of each other. ohh yea i also epoxyied every piece down. made my tower real sturdy.
Old     (stormcrow)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Actually I was going to use the kitty hair to bond the backer plates to the hull. If the plates are just fixed in place by the thru-bolts, it doesn't distribute the load, it just reinforces the fiberglass. I was going to bond metal plates to the fiberglass using kitty hair to encapsulate it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-14-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Kitty hair, (bondo with some glass strands mixed in) is mainly a cosmetic application, not much strength. If you want bonding strength, use SMC, (fancy name for fiberglass) Panel Bonding Adhesive by 3M. You can get it at a local auto paint supply store. This is what we bond outer SMC panels on Corvette's to the inner metal frame with.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Why not just reinforce with some fiberglass mat and/or cloth. Kitty hair (aka chopped strand) probably wont do much.
Old     (stormcrow)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
I was under the impression that kitty hair very strong. thanks for the guidance toward SMC. I'll check into that.

i have no prior experience with using fiberglass mat/cloth as suggested by malibuboarder75.

Is is easy to work with? How is SMC to work with?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-21-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Kitty hair the backing plate to a clean surface under the rail or deck. I also had to add a few blocks of wood to even up a spot for the backing plate.

When you bolt it down the first time, dont tight all the way. You just want to even up the hair between the plate. After a day or two you can go back and tighten the tower bolts to spec.

That's what I did and New Dimensions recomended.