Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-12-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Is a tower that much better than a sky high pylon pole? If so what are some solid towers and how much do they run? I've seen some tower and they look rickety and wobbly and if I do drop the money on it I don't want a cheaply built one...
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
What kind of boat? What brand of tower?
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-12-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Well I'm looking at a 1999 moomba outback... but I'm asking in general about towers and pylons what are people's opinions.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-12-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
i owned a monster tower first and it was a pretty good tower. you just have to make sure all the bolts stay tight.
i just bought and installed a new dimension tower. it cost twice as much but it is at least 5 times nicer.
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       05-12-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
As soon as you drop the money for a pylon, you'll wish you bought the tower.

Tower is out of the way, takes up no interior space. The major thing with a pylon is it's going to be in the way. You've got cables to run to secure it also. The main benefit of a tower is to get all your gear off the floor.

From a functional standpoint, they're the same. Both raise the towpoint, that's their main function. Monster tower is sturdy and has great customer support. You can call them and ask for a blem, they'll probably knock a few hundred off the $1200 price tag.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
A tower definitely adds a new dimension to a boat. It gives you a place to pile your boards, ropes, speakers, lights, etc. A place to hold on to while the boat is under way. Or a place to hold the boat while it's at the dock. Or more bimini options.

If all your tricks are behind the boat, then the pull is probably about the same as a Ten Foot Pole (with the cable, not the strap, to the bow). As soon as you start doing tricks out in the flats, the bow cable does very little to help keep the pylon upright. A big, powerful rider will lean on it & over time, fatigue the pylon mount below the floor.

Titan towers rock. Period.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-12-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
I bought a pylon a few years ago, Board racks are in the way and I am not a fan. I wish i bought a tower. hopefully i can scrape money for next year
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I've owned a boat with a ten foot pole (see profile pic) and it worked fine. I agree with Bill K that if the tricks are behind the boat a pole works. I've also heard the analogy, if you can go wake to wake, it is time for a tower (unsupported side pull on a pole).

T
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
get a tower. way more sturdy and you can throw all kinds of crap on it. and you can have pull-up competitions with it :-)
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
This is not the only reason to get one, but I think towers frequently enhance the look of a boat as well.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
5 seasons with a pylon, and thats 5 seasons, of big w2w, and into the flats action by a lot of people. We ride about 5 times a week and I have never had any weakness to either the pylon, the pylon thats underneath, or the boat. I guess it just depends on what boat you have and how solid it is. The 2001s have several braces under the floor that the original pylon goes through.

I personally dont like the looks of towers on older boats. The next boat will be a newer one and it will have a tower, but until then, Im rockin the skylon.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-13-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I had a pylon and the whole time I had I wanted a tower and now sometimes I wish I still had my pylon but with a tower you can load it up with speakers,board racks, and lights which makes a lot more room on the floor and more room in storage compartments. I guess the main thing I miss about having an extended pylon is the fact that it took me all of 30 seconds to take it off and store it, with my tower it takes two people to fold it down and it doesn't go down flat I guess that's the only thing I miss about it hmmmmm I'd go with a tower if I were you
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
I wish we had your luck Kevin. We would have stuck it out with the pylons.

One friend on the Delta had a 21' Maristar with the extended pylon. He was learning air front flips. Landed one a little back, on his butt & never let go. Ripped the extended pylon completely out of the boat. The factory pylon was laying over at about a 45 degree angle.

Another guy with a late 90s Malibu Response had an extended pylon with the bow strap. At some point while he was riding, the bow strap must have broke. The next trick the pylon base snapped. Extended pylon flew out & sank, taking the rope & handle with it. If you have to use the extended pylon, get one with the cable.

I only have one friend with the old 2001. He hated the bow cable clotheslining him in the head every time he stood up. So he's got a Titan I now. It's a little narrow but he loves getting all the boards out of the boat.

Towers can fail too. But just the nature of having 4 solid connection points does a lot for the strength of the boat & pull point.

Heres the 205 before & after. I thought it made a huge difference in every way imaginable.
Upload
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-13-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
It depends... I kinda dig the look and functionality of a pylon on older ski boats. It's hard to beat a $500, easy-install option.

Towers can offer more flexibility and storage, assuming you're willing to drop a few hundred more.