Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-07-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
I spent this last week at the Wakeboard Camp in Clermont. Of course....day 2...I jammed my ankle pretty badly when I cased very nose high after a weird take off. That ended my day...and for the next 2 days, I had to limit myself to a lot of board control drills...no jumping. Lots of ice, a scary amount of Advil, and serious tape jobs....it was actually easier to ride than walk, though.

Some of the coaches were talking about how some pro riders had taken their bindings into their MDs/Orthos, and the docs commented on how universally HORRIBLE wakeboard bindings were.

I know for certain that my sprain was exacerbated by too much footbed thickness/padding in my CWBs. The footbed is just too tall and soft. To save ourselves from a little heel bruising, we are risking far more severe injuries to ankles and knees.

For most other boardsports...I use custom orthotics. I have already torn apart my CWBs...and I don't think that making a new insole and incorporating an orthotic would be that tough.

Has anyone else thought along these lines? What about materials sources? I was going to contact STI and see about getting some of their STI Evolution Foam to make a new, firmed insole out of. I could also call Hersey or Deer Ridge...they both make custom running shoes...and probably have some midsole materials that would work. I figured I would design a new insole, and have it CNC routed to fit into the existing binding, and also accomodate my orthotics (Foot Levelers makes a water proof orthotic that I use in my botties for other water sports)...then glue it all back together.