Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-11-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
I've got some lights that I want to install on the inside of the boat. They come with the cig lighter attachment already on. I'd like to put them onto my acc switch so I don't have to plug/unplug them all the time.

Is it simple enough to cut the attach off and simply run the wiring to the switch? Or will it require much more work?

Thanks
Tim
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-11-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
Check the switch rating, the fuse rating versus the amperage demand that lights make. If it fits, not a problem.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-11-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
How do I find out what the amperage demand is? As you can probably tell, I'm not an electrician!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-11-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Your lights will have a rating labled or stamped on them. If it is in wattage, then you have to use the conversion formula.

For most marine applications, a total light load of 100 watts or less presents no problems for lights. Simply add them up. The bulbs are marked
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-11-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Karl,
Thanks for the help. These aren't normal tower lights. They are just some cheap tube lights that you plug in to the cig lighter. Does that make a difference?

I want to mount them in the gunnels to give some accent light.

I will look to see what is printed on them tonite.

Tim
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
I can't seem to find anywhere where it says the watts or aperage. I am putting in two, and I can't imagine that they are more than 25 watts each.

On the back of the switch is a wiring harness, how do I attach it to the harness?
Old    sculpter            06-12-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
If Those are neon tubes then be carful when you hook them up, the neon tubes require a positive and negative hook up. If one of the wires going to the tube has a white stripe going down it then use that for your positive hookup. I thought that the wire with the white stripe would be the ground but it was backwards. Hope that helps. What kind of boat is this going into?
Old    waterdog2            06-17-2004, 6:24 PM Reply   
watts devided by volts = amps. 100 watts devided by 12 = 8.333333333
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
Do I wire it straight to the switch or to the fuse box? On the back of the switch, there is already a wiring harness attached. So I'm assuming it goes to the fuse box.