Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    wallystyle            05-14-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
Hello everyone! I have a 2002 Malibu VLX w/ the malibu launch system. I want to add more weight in the back. Will a 540 lb Launch Pad Sac fit in the back compartment with the alreday existing ballast tank? Thanks!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
are you using the wedge??if so you dont need that much extra weight..i have three friends with that VLX and they add 250/300 on each side of the engine ,600 up in the bow area and fill the mls with the wedge dropped and the wake is awesome..very big and poppy..

if your not using the wedge then id say a 550 lb sack could NOT be filled all the way up with the tanks in there..you may be able to get 400lbs in there but thats about it...

if it permanent deal you want to do then id remove the 250 stock mls tanks and put 600lbs sacks back there and use the existing plumbimg.

IMO thats not neccessary the above weighting my friends do is all anybody would ever need to do any trick you could ever do..

(Message edited by bill on May 14, 2004)
Old    damnation            05-14-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
The sack will fit, but like Bill said, you will only be able to fill it about 2/3 full. You will probably want to put some weight up front if you do this though. It will keep the boat from porpoising and will produce a much better wake. I run the MLS, a 600 lb sack on each side of the engine, and a bunch of lead under the front seats. The wake is just right with that configuration. Oh yeah, I don't have a wedge on this boat (2002 WS VLX).
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have the stock tanks removed and a 600lb bag on each side. Excellent wake. In my experience, the tanks and bags won't work together.

Remember, the more weight you add in the back means the more weight you'll need to add in the front.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-14-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
tuneman, can you fill them all the way up? I have an LSV with 600s in the back. I can only get them about 90% full and my lockers are bigger than yours.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-14-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Hi Bryan- I have 390 lbs of lead in the back corners and the same in the front that I leave in the boat. The either we load a 300 lb keg sack or a 650 sack on the back seat, depending how many people we have. It is a sic wake, right J-Rod. He was soar for a few days after riding our wake. The lead in the back corners is the way to go.
Old    wallystyle            05-14-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys! Thank you so much for your replies. I guess since I want to keep the mls tanks, I will go with them and just see how full I can get them. I would think 2/3 or 90% would still be better than the smaller 350lb ea sac's. What do you all think? Also, with these in the back, how much weight do you think I will need in the front to keep it all in proportion? Thanks, again, guys. Also, TConway, where did you get your lead? Thanks!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-14-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
fat buddies work pretty well right next to the tanks in the back. Throw one of those on each side then but some lead underneath the sacks. Put about 5-600 in the bow and call it good.
Old    pdawg            05-15-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
the way that we fill our malibu is with 1170 pounds of lead in the back compartments then put another thousand of water up front and then fill the tanks and put the wedge down, the wake is the best that you will ever find.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-15-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
I use the 540# Launch Sacks on each side in back cause I took the tanks out. I have the front MLS and put a 375# locker sack in walkway and the wake is sweet. The wedge is rider optional choice on my boat.
Old    wallystyle            05-16-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
Thanks, again everyone. I'm still on the fence and can't lean a certain way. MIKE O (batman), do you think I can fit the 540# LP's in the back on either side with my MLS tanks still in? I've heard that I can, but might only be able to fill them up 2/3's or maybe 90%? I still think this would be better than the 350# LP's in the back. And from everyone's awesome feedback, I will go with a 540# LP in the front walkway too. Please let me know what you all think one last time and then I won't exaust this question any further. OH! Where do you guys get the LEAD from?????? THANKS!!!!!
Old     (john_caryl)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-21-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
to run the stock tanks and sacks, you will have to reinforce and remount the plastic engine side cover. The sacks will disloge the covers into the engine compartment. The stock tanks and 550 sacks will give you more weight than removing the tanks and running 550 sacks alone. The most user friendly way is to run the stock tanks and 200# of lead plate on each side plus whatever weight up front you like for shape and preformance.

(Message edited by john caryl on May 21, 2004)