Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
I'm boat shopping and was interested in feedback on teh wake shape of an 05 Tige 24V. I had an 01 Tige 23V and wasn't impressed compared to friends Malibu and SAN. I know they made some adjustment on the Tige hulls but I have not have a chance to ride behind one. I'm guessing it would be between my Tige 23V and my firends 01 Mailbu 21V. It will be more predictiable then the 01 Tige but not as clean as the malibu's. Any thoughts????
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
How much weight you gonna be running? Make sure your comparing apples to apples.

You can't run say 1500 lbs in one boat and nothing in the other and expect the same wake.

Start with 1200 split between the two rear lockers and 750 up front and I think you'll be VERY pleased. Adjust from there if you must.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-07-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
The 01 23v had "spray pockets" at the stern that are not on the 2005 24v. Night and day difference in the wakes from what I have experienced. Weight it like Tanner said and after that personal preference kicks in.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, the old hulls threw terrible wakes. I had an '01 21v and my '04 22v the difference in shape and size is definitely night and day. The 24v has pretty much the same hull except longer, so it may take a little more weight, but I guarantee it'll throw a respectable wake dry and only get better with more weight, which it should be able to handle a lot of.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
Thanks Tanner and JK. I understand the weight options and I can't forget about the spray pockets that was suppose to make it a great Ski and Wakeboard board boat. I ran with 400-500 lbs of lead and 800 of ballast. JK, you have been behind a 24V and happy with the wake?
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Ray. If I get serious, I'll test drive it but I wanted to get some feed back from others before wasting half a day of my time and the sellers time.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
The 24V has a great wake when weighted down. A few of my friends have 24V's and they can put out a big clean wake. In my experience with Weighted Tige's putting the TAPS at lower settings 3-5 or so works better. Also, to me, the wakes are a little on the wide side, but the boat is really big so that is to be expected. If your really going to weight it down also a prop change is a good idea.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-08-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
I dont have a Tige but these guys are good people over on their site they know and love their boats. They will get you the info you need. http://tigeowners.com/
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-08-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
I am going to tell you, we had a 24Ve out on the water and with no ballast and only a few people in the boat I was very disapointed. I do know that the 24V/Ve's are what all the pro riders for Tige have so its got to put out the best wake they have when loaded down, but take some sacs if you test drive.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-08-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
Spray pockets are used on many vdrive boats including supras.The only reason for a 23v complaint would be something along the lines of the boat not being weighted right.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Shaun, I don't know much about the 24ve, but I'm fairly sure that hull came out later and isn't as similar to the 24v as the 22v is. Mike seems to be confirming what I'm saying about its wake potential.

Brock,
Spray pockets might not be bad in themselves, but when Tige had them integrated into their hulls, they had mediocre wakes. Once they redisgned their hulls, which happened not to have spray pockets, they had much better wakes.

The ones I've ridden behind and can vouch for are the 22v, 21i, and 20v. A few of the pros for Tige used to ride the 24v instead of the 22v, if that's any indication that the wakes gotta have some potential.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-08-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
I owned a 24V 2005 for 4 years.

I think it is one of the best wakemaking hulls out there, amongst any brand. I don't want to start a war, but that was my experience.

I found that the wake was best with weight about 50/50 front to rear. The great thing about the wake was the ability to shape it from steep to rampy with the TAPS. It remained clean throughout the range.

When I was feeling spunky, we would put 800 up front and 400 in each rear locker. I would put that as competitive with any boat with a similar amount of weight. I have been behind a lot of boats, X-star, bu 247, LSV, X-15, X-45, RZ4, etc. to compare it to.

And the Ve wake is different, so commenting on the Ve experience is not as valid here.

My homies seemed to like it:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/513920.html?1193596817
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-08-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Yeah, but tige's don't 'need' ballast... What a crock.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-08-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
My buddy just sold his 04 24v. We ran it stock with taps for a couple of years and it was a good wake. We stepped things up when we wanted a better wakesurf wake and threw in two 750# sacs in the rear. Good for wakesurfing but too lippy for riding speeds. Just last year he put in a bow sac and that made a world of difference. The wake was pretty big and rideable. We had to bump our speeds up a couple of MPH's and lengthen the rope to get to the sweet spot but it was a great wake!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-08-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Garett C. You are stupid.

Your comments are a waste of electrons.

If you have something valuable to offer, then give it.

But since you bring it up, I have seen the wake of all of the boats mentioned without ballast as well, and if you take all of those boats without ballast, the Tige is BETTER, not just competitive.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-08-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Tall(MC)Tige guy. I could not deal with this thing being side tracked by that same BS again. Please stay on point. Garret go to Tige owners they will give you the skinny. Listen to to Tall he demoed a ton of boats and is probably one of the most objective guys when it comes to the boats he has owned and currently owns.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
it will be night and day between the 01 and the 05.The 05 24v is an AWSOME BOAT.The wake is as good as any boat out there.I have a 03 22v with stock ballast.I have found when i dont fill the ballast i prefer the taps on 7-8 but when i fill ballast i like it at 4-5.
Again i think tall speaks honest about the boats.He has spent more time in a 24 than anyone posting in this thread.A unweighted tige vs an unweighted mc, cc, bu ,sanger,moomba or whatever you want Tige wake will be better.I agree with Tall on this point.
bottom line-drive one-you love it.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
Garret,

As tall said, he had the same boat your looking at. I had an 06' 24V which is essentially the same hull. I weighted it as described above. Killer wake! As someone else stated above, the more weight you get in it, the lower you want the taps set at. Usually around 3 with anything above 1K lbs and you'll clean up any wash and firm it up.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-08-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
i have an 03 21i with 2 450 fat sacs with 4 or more people in the boat it has a huge wake it will shoot me higher than i want to go.But as always im shure a mc or san has a way better wake than my tige o but wait i did not give 75000 for my boat.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Tony, no reason to start bashing other boats. Have you ridden behind any of the boats you listed? If you have a convex v hull and not one of the old hulls, I think you'd be surprised to find their wakes are similar to yours if weighted properly. I had a 2003 san and have ridden behind a 21i and the wakes were pretty similar, the san's wake is probably just a little thinner and takes a little less weight to get as big.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-08-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
not bashing any boat just giving it back to the tige haters!!!!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
My $.02, dont listen to tools like Garett C, people that typically make those type of remarks dont know chit.

The 24Ve is such a huge boat, it take so much more weight then a smaller boat just to overcome the added buoyancy created by the extra length and width. Once the weight is added, like any other so called top of the line wake boats, it will through a great wake.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
WOW!!! Thanks everyone. I guess it's safe to say the 05 24V can produce a good wake based on the feedback. The funny thing was the wife made a comment on facebook to check out the thread I started because it was getting a bit heated. I've been so busy at work and then doing family stuff tonight I didn't see the fb post of this until about 15 minutes ago. Actually, it seems about average on the banter back & forth when discussing wakes. I give it a 7 on entertainment value. I put a ballast system in, PerfectPass & upgraded the prop in my old 23V Tige and would probably do the same in a 24V if it lacked any of those. A couple bags from Pop Products handy on the floor of the cockpit is a must have to make easy adjustment to even things out while the rider is up.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-09-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Maybe its me, but it seems that any discussion surrounding Tige wakes inflames the CRAP out of people- hmm... I own a 2001 21V with spray pockets and the wake is great. I put 1300lbs in the boat (2- 350 v-drive sacks and a 600lb sac in the walk- way) and the wake is super solid with a great transition. There are tons of great boats out there- but I like my Tige- it's PAID for, looks great, it's a super solid ride and the wake rocks- Surf wake is also one of the best I have ever seen.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-09-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Garret,What you had was a 23v that was not setup correctly.Like most people you had to much weight in the rear and the wake probably stood straight up then rolled over into whitewash.Its a very common mistake because to get 50 plus in the front you have to expose a bag in the walkway.I know is sucks but thats what it takes or maybe lower the rear weight to match what you have under the front seat but I don't consider that an option.
The 24v has a cleaner wake not because the spray pockets are gone but because the space they used to occupy are now added resistance which in turn pushes the front down.A side affect of the change would also be a wider wake.
If you need a clean wake at slow speeds which I suspect might be a reason for your distaste of the 23v A smaller boat might be a better option to consider but the fatter 24v is definitely a improvement over the 23 when it comes to slow and clean.
Good luck
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-10-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
+1... The 03+ 22V and 24V are night and day different from 02 and prior hulls. The wakes take a little weight to geet big, but they stay clean no problem. They also ride higher and won't take water over the bow easily like the older hulls do. Great surf wakes, just like all Tige V-drives.