Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-14-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
The other night we were riding, and a few times I felt the transmission slip. I'm pretty sure the prop wasn't cavitating. 2 of the times it happened we were just idling (slowly increasing throttle). We had more ballast in the boat than we normally put in (usually we have around 600lbs, this time we had probably 900lbs).

It's a velvet drive transmission (72C I think. It's mated to a Merc 315hp MPI). The fluid looks like it's full (although I only checked when the boat is on the trailer) and it definitely doesn't smell burnt or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Trash
Old    robertt            07-14-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Low oil. Check it while its hot.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-14-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Either lighten the load or plan on rebuilding the transmission real soon.

When you say you had more ballast, are you saying you had a total of 900 lbs, or did you have 900 lbs of lead in addition to the ballast tanks?
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-14-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
Rod are you kidding me how can you not interpret that it was only an increase of 300 lbs. Trash its def not the weight.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
"Low oil. Check it while its hot." And in the water, not on the trailer.
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-17-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Rod,

I have no factory ballast. The ballast is all water bladders (600lbs in the rear trunk, 300lbs on port side beside doghouse). There are usually 2 people in the boat and 1 boarder. There is no way that adding an extra 300lbs should make the transmission slip, especially a 72C which has a huge load rating.

It looks like the fluid is low. I ran the boat on the water, then checked the level and it was low. I added some on the trailer as the dipstick tube is hard to get to without burning myself on the exhaust tube. I'll check it again when I go out next. The crazy thing is that on the trailer with the engine off, the fluid level shows past full on the dipstick. I'm just afraid of overfilling.

I wonder where the fluid went to? There is no signs of leaking in the bilge area, and the transmission is clean (i.e no signs of drip stains). It's possible I guess that the fluid is leaking through the cooler and into the water supply I guess. I was pretty careful when I changed out my fluid last time to measure the same as what I took out.

Trash