Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
I finally did a backflip on the tramp, I was working on my tantrums and by accident did a backflip, so I threw more but I noticed that I use the rope and keep it close. Yes I have witness and even got vid of it!

So yes I finally sacked up!!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-30-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
Congrats!!!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
how were you working on a tantrum but accidentally did a backflip, when a tantrum is a backfkip?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
a tantrum is not a backflip, that is why each has its own name..

Thanks Misty now I hope to apply it this week on the water.. talk about getting over that fear, wow
Old    xtremebordgurl            04-30-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
wait... I thought a tantrum was a backflip... just some people do it a little more laid out but... anywho, thats awesome congrats!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
maybe I should be more clear I had the rope in my hands so when I did the tantrum my legs would not go completely over my head, but at more of an angle holding the rope in my right hand, the back flip was completely over over head still holding the rope.

People always ask whats the first invert that is the easiest to learn.

I am just glad I got them both on the tramp after Tate gave me rash of s*** at my house for not even trying a backflip.. Yes my head was playing serious tricks on me and it didn't help with all the injury pics I would see on WW...
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-30-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
Never thought I would see my name as a subject on WW

Glad to hear it. Keep it up. I too landed new tricks today on the water(TS FS 180 & HS FS 180). Some times you just have to sack up.
Old     (h2o4me)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
Nice Job Rich! can't wait to see it live.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
I wish I could only get half as much water time as you..

But the more you do, the more it pushes me, LOL...

Congrats on your new tricks (man thats means my victory is short lived now I have more to work on,..

You know I got a new board right?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
Hey did you get a new handle, that 17 inch or something?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-01-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
OMG Eric posted!!!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-01-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Kenny,if you are anything like me,trampoline is one thing and getting pulled behind the boat is another.On a trampoline,I'm like a little monkey but comes time behind the boat and I turn into a chicken.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-01-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Eric - Thanks, we will see if I can repeat it. I am sure it was luck. It helps to drive you though when you hit it once.

Kenny - Got the new Nevin Dragon 17" handle. Gave it back because the grip ends and floats came unglued and fell out first time using it. I liked the way it felt but I am going to have to find another one.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-01-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Tate,

I expect you to have it perfected ON THE WATER by the Shasta trip
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-01-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Buzz, I thought you weren't coming on the Shasta trip this year?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Once you do it once it's no big deal, but man it's head trip to do it for the first time. For some reason I couldn't get myself to do a front flip on the tramp for a long time. I could do scarecrows on the water, but the tramp just messed with me. Congrats, now take it to the water. Same deal, take a deep breath and just commit. You'll be surprised how easy it is.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-01-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I am working on it Buzz. I hoping that there will be lots of you that can help a OLD idiot out with some tips.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
Evan, I think the more I do it on the tramp the more comfortable I will get, Tate said I was weird cause I would do a front flip no problem which is spose to be harder but I wouldn't even try a backflip, yeah I know chicken****..
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-01-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
Kenny, I have the same problem as you. I can do front flips all day long on the tramp, but I freak myself out with backflips. I almost flip off the tramp (14 footer), and I'm sure its because I lead with my head. I 'know' I'm supposed to lead with my hips, but knowing and doing are two totally different things. Any tips/tricks on tricking my head not to look back and let my hips do the work?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
I just practiced doing a tantrum by looking over my right shoulder and each time trying to get higher on the jump, then on accident I got enough height and it just happened without thinking bout it, now if I don't think about it I can do it, but if I think then I land on my knees.

I have a safety net so going off doesn't bother me, I also have the rope attached to 2 heavy duty strength stretch cords from home depot (solid black) that when you get airborne you really feel the pull of the rope like the boat , its attached to a tree about 15ft high so it somewhat pulls me up even higher.

just practice tantrums and it'll happen.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-01-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
So if your feet go straight over your head you did a backflip on a wakeboard; but if they go off more towards the side it is a tantrum?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
the tantrum is a trip flip started by looking over back your shoulder vise looking over your front when boarding.

When praticing the tantrum I look over my back shoulder so its not a "clean" backflip (no boarding)were my legs go straight over my head like a normal flip would.

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on May 01, 2006)
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
Congrats on the trampoline work, but i think you're a little confused here:

quote:

a tantrum is not a backflip

Actually a laid out or tucked backflip on a trampoline, with a handle in your front hand (what would be your front hand if you were wakeboarding) and the rope leading away from your front hip, is most like a tantrum on the water. A backroll is more like a sideflip on a trampoline.

-Steve
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
Steve you are correct as I was not being very clear about the 2, refering to learning a backflip I ment like if you were on the ground not boading so yeah I got them a little mixed up, to much excitement on my part for getting over something that has plagued me for years (the backflip)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Tate what 17' are you looking at now?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-01-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
Tate,

I guess I did not read the post right. I thought it was you trying the backroll. It was Kenny's post. I'm a dope! I do hope to try one this summer though.

Renee,

Not sure where that came from. From day one I planned on being there, and really don't think about anything else. Really looking forward to it Looking forward to meeting everyone else! It's going to be a great trip!!

Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-01-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
Buzz - No worries. I will be glad to watch you try.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-01-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
Tate,

I have a new helmet, and a trauma bag bigger than yours!! Keep a close watch on me anyway!