Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
So I scoured the whole trick tips section to only find one thread on wrapped tricks, so I though I'd start my own. Any suggestions are appreciated on tips to trying some of the easiest wrapped spins. You never see anyone doing these tricks anymore so I thought it'd be a cool trick to have under my belt.

I plan on trying wrapped hs bs 1's next time I go out, they don't seem all that difficult. Is this the easiest variation? Any help is appreciated
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
The hardest part is getting used to cutting in wrapped. It feels really weird at first. Really concentrate on holding the wrap handle, otherwise you will get pulled off axis because you will start to spin early off the wake. Make sure not to let go of the wrap until you have left the wake. I have never tried a wrapped BS 180 but have done 3's and 5's wrapped. I think it may be easier to do a wrapped 3. It comes around pretty quick and easy once your in the air.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-30-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
i agree with the wrapped 3 being easier. if you stay wrapped until you leave the wake- then unwrap, the boat kinda pulls you the rest of the way around. I am not great at landing switch just yet
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-30-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
i agree with the wrapped 3 being easier. if you stay wrapped until you leave the wake- then unwrap, the boat kinda pulls you the rest of the way around. I am not great at landing switch just yet
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-30-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Getting used to the cut while wrapped is key, as well as not letting go of the small handle till you're up in the air and under control. A good practice tool is to get in the wrapped position, then do some inside-out jumps (while staying wrapped). Then move to one wake jumps (staying wrapped). See if you can go wake to wake while in the wrapped position. This will help you keep yourself under control in the air and get comfortable with the cut. Once you go for the spin make sure you've got the pop first, then pull the small handle to initiate your spin as you would for a handle pass. If you just let go and let the rope spin you, you'll likely get pulled off axis. Just something that helped me out.

On a side note I just found my rope with the wrapped handle (had been lost on someone else's boat since last June). So I plan to bring the wrap back to my routine as well. Notice Benny G is getting into the mix with his wrapped BS OA 5 (on thewakeplace.com).
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
This thread has inspired me to put my T-bar back on my handle.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input so far guys.

I dug up some tips on a search, and never before realized you can wrap up for a fs spin. Any advice as which is easier to 3, fs or bs? I have consistent fs 1's and have come close to handlepass fs 3's but never landed one...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-01-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
Well I am in Love with Wrapped Spinning this year, It is Stupid Fun, you can grab for ever, Grab Twice, just plane fun. Really what every one is saying is true about the cut, that is the strangest part. Cutting Wrapped for a HS frontside Spins is prolly the easiest and most natural feeling. On the Flipside TS BS is prolly the hardest.

Keys to remember:

Make sure you let go of the T-Bar once your in the Air or else you will get blasted off axis in the wrong direction.

Dont lean into the rope when you cut get your elbow into your hip lock it in on the T-Bar and hold strong.

In the Air its easy to get pitched forward as you un wrap, not bad, but a bit forward, just be ready for it.

Also I would agree that a HS BS 3 would honestly be easier than a 180. There will be a lot of momentum unwrapping you It will just wanna go around 3 automatically.

One more thing is dont go for gold right out of the gate, it took me prolly 50 HS FS 5's before I was ready to blast them as big as I could. Once you get them down they are crazy fun off the dub. My Favorite Right Now is a Indy FS 5 to Late Mute Grab. Go Give it Hell its super fun!

Good Luck Bra!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-01-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
Frontside would be easier.

Actually what stupid easy is a wrapped KGB I landed on first try.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Just be a little extra careful. Much easier to put your arm through the handle on a wrapped fall.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-01-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Got out to take a couple sets this morning and man is it awkward approaching the wake wrapped up! I'll keep at it but starting to think I'm way closer to a handlepass 3... Thanks for all your help
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-01-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I used to love wrapped spins. I used to do wrapped 3's wake to wake and it was so smooth. Since its allot easier than regular handlepass spins you get some people saying its a cheater spin lol
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-01-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Matt

Its not cheating cause you can add loads of style to the tricks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say it's easier to do than passed tricks either. I don't have any issues doing passed spins, but to make wrapped stuff look good, I find it a lot more difficult.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-01-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Anyone have pictures of correct wrapping technique?

If I am coming in from the right side of the wake heelside, should I have the t bar in my left hand and handle behind my back holding on with my right hand?
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-01-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
I think a TS wrapped 5 is one of the easiest tricks to land. I actually landed my 2nd attempt ever. The trick is to make sure that you have a controlled "unwinding" and don't let your body flail. Come into the wake with enough speed and edge to clear the wake, keep line tension on the small handle and keep the big main handle at your rear hip. Then ride up the wake like you are going to do a TS W2W. Don't think "spin off the wake" or else you will lose your balance. Once you pop, let go with your front hand and look over your lead shoulder. The rope will unwrap you automatically so keep it slow and controlled. Spot your landing and make a handle pass once you come around. Its much easier than it sounds. Give it a try. Good luck
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-01-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Andy, you are a freak for landing a wrapped KGB first attempt! I've tried a few and can't seem to get the rotation down correctly.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-01-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Matt,
Yes if you want to do a BS 3. If you want to do a FS 3 hold the t bar in your right hand and handle behind your back with left hand.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-01-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Jason yeah, fastests trick I have ever learned.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       07-01-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
There is an article on wrapped tricks in June's issue of Wakeboarder magazine.