Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
Question for ya, I have never been down to the Ditch, mainly because my wife and kids like to hang out at Crab Island and it would be a long haul to the ditch by water.

My question is have you guys ever camped out along the ditch and if so where at? I have looked at the google maps and it looks like there would be plenty of spots you could beach and camp.

Just as you enter the ditch from the west side there looks to be a long stretch (about a mile long) that is straight. Could someone post up a picture (from google maps) with locations you have camped?

Also, who controls the land on either side of the ditch, is it controlled by the county or state?

Lastly we see dolphins and an occasional gator in the bayou's; along the ditch has anyone ran across any man-eaters.....gators; sharks; hillbillies?

I have a few friends that would like to check it out and camp a night or two in the next couple weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Weskel

Try this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=30.355694,-86.070843&spn=0.050734,0.074844&t=h&z=14&msid=1013 10747867379022994.00045071384c3273e7c4d

(Message edited by weskel on June 24, 2008)
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-24-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
im also interested in learning about this area as I am moving there in a month! also, where is the closest fresh water? thanks!

-Jeff
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
Come on guys, I know you are out there.....
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-25-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
I've been to the ditch several times but have never camped out over there... I'm sure you can but we haven't done it yet. Not sure who controls the land or if you would have to get permission but I think the best way to go about is to just do it and not ask (at least that's what I would do)... Haven't seen any gators or sharks but the possibility is always there, if you're nervous stay out of the water after dark. The ditch is an awesome place to ride but if your going to stay out there bring plenty of beer, food, and gas because there isn't sh*t anywhere around there... Sorry I can't give you more info but I never claimed to be very helpful.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Any info helps, did you use the boat ramp just at the west entrance to the ditch at point washington?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-25-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Yeah when I was in my buddy's boats we used that launch... If I'm taking mine were launching in Navarre and taking the boat ride... That launch by the ditch sucks IMO. We'll ride a little then keep going to PC and stay the night.

(Message edited by alindquist on June 25, 2008)
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
bump.....
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
I rode there the last time Sam Adams put together a ride there where actually a couple of places to camp just cruse down and find a spot. As far as the ramp I used the one right at the mouth of the ditch and Choctaw bay. Its a little hairy so be careful, I had to lock in the 4WD to pull my boat out. I have only ridden in that side of the ditch that once so I am not much of a help but I am sure Sam will chime in.

I ride in the ditch east of Panama City and the closer you get to Apalachicola the more gator there are. Seen a few sharks closer to Panama City, see dolphins all that time and I have acctually seen quite a few manatees close to white city and overstreet the last few times I have been. Shhh... Don't tell or they will turn the whole ICW into a no wake zone.

If you come my way I can help you a bit more but if you ride the ditch you will not want to ride the bays much. It can be blowing 20 kts and you can still find calm water.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2008, 2:49 AM Reply   
Jeff good luck on the fresh water, about an hour away(lake jackson in florala) and the party is always around here at crab island anyway. I would just plan on riding early in the morning or late in the evening to get the good water.
Reese and Aaron pretty much covered everything else...
Kelly, part of the land can be found here on this map: http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/sf_pdf/pt_washington_trails.pdf I found some info that says you cant camp but if your down on the beach Im sure they wont care. The other part I believe is private but there are no houses really to be seen anywhere.
http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/point_washington.html
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-11-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
Looks like I will finally get to go to the "Ditch".

We are going to check it out next Saturday (the 19th of July)...

Anyone else going to be out there?
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-11-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I will be but I will be over on the Gulf County side of the ditch
Old    sdahockey21            07-21-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys, Sry I must hve missed this post.

Glad to see we are going to be getting more rides around this area. I am currently in SC working for the summer but will be back around Mid August. Everything has pretty much been covered.

Anyways welcome to some of the best riding this world has to offer. Ya its that good.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
Family issues came up and did not get out to the ditch but will soon.