Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
im having a problem standing tall at the wake, i have the prgressive edge down, its just the standing tall part, everyone in the boat says im bending my knees when i hit the wake and this is a hard habit to get rid of, any tips on how to stand tall and get rid of this habbit?
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-31-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
stick ure chest up and out, and hips up towards the handle. if u try to lock ure legs up this'll get u straightening out, but remember to bend them again before u land otherwise u'll be sorry that you ever straightend them

when people say stay on edge, imagine ure gonna go up into the air still leaning away from the boat that'll keep you on edge.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-31-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
you're just absorbing the wake. It's not so much as standing tall, but being rigid-like when you hit the wake. If you drive your car over a speed bump the suspension will absorb it. Imagine if you didn't have any suspension and you sped over a speed bump. Your car would get bucked. Don't use your legs as shock absorbers.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
ya definetly absorbing it with my bending knees, i tried to keep stiff but my knees still bent at the wake an absobed it.
Old    murrayair            05-31-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
Think of it not so much as standing tall at the wake, but pushing the board down when you enter the trough of the wake. You are doing the same thing as standing tall, but sometimes thinking about it differently helps.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-31-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
It's possible that you're just coming into the wake with too much speed. Beginners tend to cut really hard and then they can't stand tall because they are intimidated by the wake.

One way to work on the problem is to try to clear the wake but only take a 5 - 8' cut outside instead of a really wide cut. This will force you to edge hard and hopefully stand tall.
Old    dannyb            05-31-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
Stand up tall sooner than you would normally, you'll get your timing down eazer than standing too late
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-01-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Its a mental thing I assume. No matter what you try you still absorb the wake?

If this is the case I recomend shortening your cut and hitting the wake at a much slower speed. Forget about clearing the wake for a while. With a slower cut you can focus on not absorbing the wake with your knees. Once you have the feel of it, slowly increase your speed while maintaining good form. Basically, you have to completely relearn how to jump.