Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    flanknid            06-13-2003, 9:54 PM Reply   
Just hit a backroll.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-13-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
Greaat to hear, congrats! How old are ya, old dude?
Old    flanknid            06-13-2003, 10:01 PM Reply   
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-13-2003, 10:26 PM Reply   
I don't have long til i'm there. I'm going to hit my first tantrum tommorow so i'll give myself an early congatulations.
Old    reefhunter            06-13-2003, 10:27 PM Reply   
That's not old. Well it's old compared to me. (29) But not old if your a sea turtle. And if your a turtle your one bad ass, backrollin, wakeboard ridin, young reptile.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-13-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
WHAT'S FLANKNID?
Old    flanknid            06-13-2003, 11:36 PM Reply   
Just made it up.
Old    flanknid            06-13-2003, 11:38 PM Reply   
I have a friend who landed a "crip"! Holy crap! I wish I were that good.
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2003, 6:05 AM Reply   
Hey old dude, im a bit younger (16). Any tips on the backroll?
Old    reefhunter            06-14-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
IS a crip different than a Krypt. Maybe just the gang version.
Old     (john_caryl)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have a friend that is 50. he can land 9 inverts, and toe and heal side 5s.
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
nice
Old    isaac_d_funk            06-14-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
Impressive.

not really.
Old     (momsmobius)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-14-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
Hey Funkster wait till you hit 50 and then you can say "Impressive, not really". The old bones and muscles don't bounce back as quick when you add another 26 years. I for one am really impressed and would give anything to pull off just one invert!!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-14-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   
35 isn't old! It really bugs me when my 30-something friends bag out on things like they're old men... old whiney farts! like all they remember how to do is drink beer and work a remote. What's up with that?!!! You're only as old as you let yourself become.
-Monkey
p.s. congrats on the backroll, no try a frontroll.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-14-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
I mean, now try a frontroll.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-14-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
CONGRADULATIONS TO ME!!..........................wait, i didn't land a tantrum. For a minute there a forgot i sucked. There's always next time.
Old     (momsmobius)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
Monkey, you got that right about age. I'm a woman who will be 50 in Aug. and ride more than most of the 20 and 30 somethings around here. My body doesn't agree with it sometimes but my head keeps getting me back out there. I want to be like a female Banana George but on a wakeboard.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Learn as many inverts as you can while your body is able to take the abuse. As you get older and start having health problems everybody starts ragging on you about hurting yourself. Hey I can't help it if I'm getting older, I still want to learn more tricks. I had pnemonia, lung surgery & hip surgery over the winter, I've been getting lectured to alot lately. Can't help it, I just love to ride! There is always another invert to learn, so I'm not done yet. Not ready for the porch.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-15-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
I am 47 and trust me it does hurt more when you take a header, but I do love the thrill! We try to ride twice a week. I do a pretty big heelside w2w, some 180's, but am dedicated to making an invert if I can find someone to teach me.
Old    shikafly            06-15-2003, 8:59 PM Reply   
I am 36 and just started riding last year. Nothing but wake to wake, single wake 180s, and surface tricks so far, but I am getting there. I ride as well as all the late 20s folks I hang with.<p> Greg is right about the body not always bouncing back though. I broke my collarbone in a motorcycle accident last Feb, and I have seen the doctor more times since then than I have in my entire life.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Heck I'm only 29 and i can't hardly walk i'm so sore from boardin yesterday. Keep it up you old fogeies. Your givin me inspiration! (I used to think my life would be over by 30.....HA!)
Old    swamie            06-16-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   

It is great to see the old folks on this board!! I am 29, and rarley post because I feel I am too old for this site. Anyway I just started a year ago, I am still working on the wake to wake. I always carry Advil for the many face plants!
Old    smellyt            06-16-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Thirties is not old. My step-dad rides and he is 56. Now thats freakin' old.
Old    gotpwr            06-16-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
29 too old for wakeworld.com???? You're one of the young ones! Now over on wakeboarder.com that's a different story.
Old    stormrider            06-16-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
Be 43 in three months. Ride 2-4 times a week, 2-4 15-30 minute sessions a day. Towerish high, hs and ts 180s, hs grab 180s, couple of lame grabs. Rode Thursday and Sunday, elbow and hip are a little sore but that's it. I'm older but I've always been in shape (soccer) so I'm not noticing that much different from 10 or 15 years ago. I am very aware, however, that I've got plenty of good hard miles on my joints so I listen to my body, take Glucosamine, Creatin and L-Glutamine. I also drink those energy/muscle rejuvenator drinks when I'm done for the day (but then most athletes are on this regimen whether they're 20 or 40). I'd also like to think I ride smarter-- analyze things closer, be patient, focus on technique. My goal is to get back into the boat at the end of the weekend having made progress with no bad crashes.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-16-2003, 8:42 PM Reply   
29 old? That's a joke right? Just turned 39,but behind the boat,I'm 23!That is my stoke,not my ability.......
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-16-2003, 10:59 PM Reply   
My wife reminded me that today is my last birthday in the thirties. What? Where did the time go? I still feel the same as when I was twenty. Its the three kids that are killing me.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2003, 4:26 AM Reply   
Congrats Jay! I'll be 45 in a few months. Finally landing some backrolls after 3 yrs trying. Working on blind 180's and tantrums. If I'm lucky my body will hold together another few years and I'll eventually land one.

(Message edited by aquaholic on June 17, 2003)
Old    mikebailey            06-17-2003, 4:50 AM Reply   
I am 36

I have been riding for 2 no 3 weeks and have mastered:

hanging onto a pole
hanging onto a pole with a little rope on it
10 feet horizontal Air from a cable launch(without Board)
5 feet as above with board

I can also do 180 crash and burn
360 half flip crash and burn
Banana skin style trick(slip & fall on back at high speed)

am working on swallowing less than 2 gallons of water at the moment

Mike
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-17-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
Im 41 this august and going on my 3rd summer. I go out twice a week now. During the week my friend and I ride for nearly 8 hours or more normally taking one hour turns each...sometimes a bit longer depending on how much fun we are having on each run. During the weekends no where near that long. We're lucky to get 2 30 min runs each before the crowds show up.

Any aches and pains I get are my own fault (sprain ankle wakeboarding, twisted my knee at a skate park jumping ramps on aggressive inlines, sprained my wrist trying to teach my daughter back hand springs for her cheerleading...I landed in a hole in the ground...etc etc) Not too much from age yet but the amount of gray hair I get each year...geez!

I normally dont think too much about my age until the weekends when there are nothing but teenagers on the lake and we are the only couple old dudes trying to board.

I cant do any inverts yet, but working on a ts back roll...coming closer each time.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2003, 6:07 AM Reply   
Thirtynine, ride three times a week year round. I've been trying backrolls for about two months now. I havn't hit one yet, but the thrill of trying keeps me coming back.
Old    tribal            06-17-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
36 in a couple weeks.Bones definatly get more fragile with age knees and shoulders suffer years of abuse.Can't skateboard anymore but still pursue any other sport that gives my rush[ski,surf,moto,etc]3rd season waking now for me.Love big tweaked grabs can do 180's and surface tricks but yet to stick any front,back rolls or 3's,soon.I won't be happy till I can stick raley's,hootchies and batwings.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
One hour turns each for 8 hours my god i'd be dead!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2003, 9:28 PM Reply   
37 in October. Got a roll, some hs & ts grabs, h/cabs and a hilarious fashion air. Can't land to revert (right acl is shredded taco meat now). Been trying raleys and tantrums. Broke my foot last year on a tsr. My bones make these loud cracking noises, like someone sitting on a bag of doritos, when I get up from the lazyboy. I'll ride till I'm dead, then I'll ride there too.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-18-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
I watched a special on TV about Evel Knievil last night. That guy is 65 and still going strong. They were talking about all his injuries and how kept on jumping. I looked at my wife and said "And I'm not supposed to ride the wakeboard this summer?". I believe that if he can jump a dozen trucks with a broken arm, I can ride the WB with a sore hip!
Old    kid4jah            06-18-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
I here ya Greg GO DUDE!!!!!!
Old    swamie            06-18-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
well for me, I feel It is just more difficult for me to advance since I am a beginer at my age. I just started a year ago, do not have a boat, and do not have many friends who board. I feel it is like golf in the fact that I started playing at an early age and that is why I am so good, I wish I would have started wake boarding at an earlier age. I love it so much,and I never thought I would get this addicted. When I tell my friends about going out, they think I am weird, screw em. I love it more than golf, I wish I could go more often. It is good hear that I am not past my prime yet (29), I hope I can do what yall are doing now in the future.
Old     (momsmobius)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-18-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
Swamie, if you ever come to Ma. look us up. You'll be just a pup on our boat. Even my son is older than you (32)!! Don't worry about starting later in life I didn't start wakeboarding until I was 42. I still suck but it's o.k. I just love it so much that I keep getting back out there and hoping one of these days it will all click. Until then I'll just keep plugging along having fun and feeling like I'm 12.
Old    aaron_bell            06-18-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
It's all about keeping yourself in good shape, working out, eating right and living right. I did a thread a few months ago when I was feeling a bit old and asked "whats the oldest boarder you know" I remember some typing in and saying they knew someone who was like almost 69 and still boarding. That's my goal! Your as young as you feel and I'm 39 feelin like 29! Live life to it's fullest, time flies!
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
I am 43 and my wife is 44. Just started last year. I go w2w, some grabs,surface 180's wife can do surface 180's and starting to jump. We love it Age is only a number.
Old     (momsmobius)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-19-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
George,you got that right! Glad to hear that your wife is out there with you. I was starting to think I was the only "old broad" hucking myself around the lakes.
Old    pherret            06-19-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
This is great. We need to start our own support group. I haven't laughed this much in a while. I'm 33 in 3 weeks, bad knees, elbow, and shoulder from years of baseball. Every joint pops. Been riding with my 25 yr old brother for 2 years. Just bought our first "real boat" this year and now have our 32 yr old bro-in-law hooked. Working on tantrums and backrolls this summer. May not be able to charge at it like some younger guys, but I can sure as hell crash just as hard. Only pain remedy that seems to work is cold beer, ice, and advil. Can't stop, can't ever stop... back at it again tomorrow.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-20-2003, 5:20 AM Reply   
Instead of going for the inverts, work on spins. They are much more techy, and stylie. You would be surprised at all the different spins to learn. Hell, there's eight 180's alone, all of which if done right look better than a backroll.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-20-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
I,m 48 and just started riding last year I think its the biggest high I have ever gotten out of life what a great lifestyle