Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-12-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I've got the stock JBL head radio unit that came with my '03 VLX. It's pretty much a POS, the unit's fell through it's placement several times (not sure how to best describe this), a piece of plastic that keeps the cd slot lid closed broke off, and in general I'm not happy with it. I don't have an amp or a sub and don't know much about radio's and their associated parts. I'm looking for a replacement that will work with whatever backend connections that JBL uses (it comes with a different manurfacturer's speakers, can't remember which ones, maybe clarion...) Hence a few questions:
1) Do I need a marine audio component or would any do, any benefits to the marine one? The '03 VLX has an armrest that covers the radio, so in general water should not be a problem.
2) Any recommendations for a decent MP3, CD, radio player that's about $150 and doesn't skip, the JBL skips way to much.
3) Anyone else replace this head unit or have theirs fall through?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-12-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Patrick-stick with any non-marine HU and you'll be fine. They actually cost less and have broader features then most marine HU's Ive come across. I have 06' VLX and I purchased last year a Sony cdx750 off ebay for $160 new but saw them a month or two ago for around $100. I have no complaints with the unit and it has 4v preouts which were vital since I had to run 21ft rca lenghts to the amp. I think this is the same HU Bu was using stock last year as well and its non-marine. The only compatiblity issue you would need to worry about is if you have an existing hardwired remote.

(Message edited by iagainsti on July 12, 2007)
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-12-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
KG, we do have the transom and the dash remote on ours. Does this mean that we have to stick with clarion? the guys at our local shop think so and they are having a hard time finding a mp3 unit that will plug in with remotes.
Old     (bcard)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
I just got a Pioneer Premiere deck for my boat and am using a pioneer marine remote mounted by the driver. It works great.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-13-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Hmmm... I don't have any remotes (like transom, etc), but I do have the existing hardwired unit to the right of the steering wheel which is key to use, it's the basic mode,track,volume switch. This wouldn't be compatible?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-13-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Ryan- I doubt a Clarion remote would work with any other brand HU. You might even run into the situation were your remote might not work for all Clarion HUs as well. hardwired remotes can be found pretty inexpensive on ebay as well.