Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2003, 10:29 PM Reply   
Who uses what and what do you think are the advantages of each?? Is the high current shock of the relay bad in any way, IE: when you turn the key and those batteries that are low from running the stereo start sucking from your start battery?? Im looking at a 150 amp west marine combiner now that is similar to the hellroaring one.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-07-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
stinger relay
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-07-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
Stinger relay.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
The combiner is better because it doesn't connect the two batteries unless there is actually a voltage sufficient for charging present. At low engine RPMs (such as idling through long 5MPH zones) it is likely that the alternator will NOT keep up with the demand. The combiner will leave the systems isoloated in this situation so it would be impossible for the starting battery to discharge.

The plain old relay is certainly a lot cheaper. If you go this route, be sure that the relay is rated for continuous use. Many relays are intended for starting applications and the relay coil will overheat if you leave it engergized for too long.
Old    matt5046            07-08-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
which stinger relay? I got one and it doesn't work. Looked like an idiot this past weekend trying to make the stereo work. }
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-08-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
works awesome. isolates battery until you turn on ignition. then it bridges batteries.

they were super cheap at www.ampman.com
here you are.
www.stingerelectronics.com/sting_products/power_accessories.asp
Old    matt5046            07-08-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
Ty,

Which one do you reccomend?

Thanks,

Matt
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-08-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
How much power are you running? i went with the 80 and i am running 1400 watts. unless it is a ton of power, the 80 is fine and also around 15.00. mine works awesome though. i can run my stereo with never a worry about not being able to start.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-08-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
I have a marine combiner, dont ask the manufactor cause my boat is 300 miles away but its good for 75amps and I'm running 1100 watts.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2003, 4:41 PM Reply   
Stinger relay
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-08-2003, 4:47 PM Reply   
check www.ampman.com
the sr80 was like 15.00 delivered there. give them a call
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2003, 12:11 AM Reply   
i thought i found the perfect solution except it says its not rated for explosive areas http://www.xantrex.com/products/product.asp?did=207
I couldnt find anything on the pac or stinger site about this, so who has emailed them this question because if im gonna roll the dice i might just get one of these pathmakers, its the best of both the combiner and relay.
Old    matt5046            07-10-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Bob,

Any idea on the cost or if they work?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-10-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
200 amp, two bank system costs $269 at West Marine.

Battery combiners in general work great. My recommendation is that the stereo (and any lights or other large current draws) be wired to the second battery, leaving the main battery for operating the engine and everything that shuts off with the ignition. When the engine is running and the alternator is putting out enough amps, the combiner connects the two systems together so that your stereo battery will charge.

If you want the option of using the stereo battery to start the engine, then install a simple ON-OFF battery swtich to connect the two batteries together. Leave this switch OFF unless you really need the systems tied together. Erase the OFF and ON and replace it with NORMAL and EMERGENCY so that well intentioned friends don't do you a favor.

I have used the West Marine house brand battery combiners with good success on my cruiser. I would be a little concerned with using one of these on a wakeboard boat as there will be a LOT of instances of it isolating, then combining, then isolating, etc. The West Marine brand is a bit under rated for what I would expect the wakeboard boat to experience.

I am generally impressed with Xantrex products and would assume that this unit is carries the same quality features as their inverters.
Old    jeff_lagoon            07-11-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
Hellroaring Isolator/Combiner is working great for me with 0 problems... It saved me 3 times. Checkout my install > www.stellino.com
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-13-2003, 10:32 PM Reply   
just did buy it now for the west marine 150 amp model and got it for the price of the 50 amp model in the store, brand new or course